Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Metal Forming

Hello,

I would like to start making brackets and other metal items.
Would anyone have any links or books on metal forming and the tools
needed? I would like to know how how they form complex forms like.
http://www.tech-etch.com/shield/boardlevelshield.html
Also how would you determine the gage of metal needed?

Right now I am looking at a 3 in one tool, which can do 16GA. Would a
tool like this be the most useful? I have seen a brake which can do a
thicker gage but they seem to really jump in price and weigh just as
much. What can I use if I have a thicker gage?

The metal I would like to work with are for robotics and just general
purpose brackets.

Thanks,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 25 May 2008 21:16:18 -0700, Rob wrote:

Hello,

I would like to start making brackets and other metal items. Would
anyone have any links or books on metal forming and the tools needed? I
would like to know how how they form complex forms like.
http://www.tech-etch.com/shield/boardlevelshield.html Also how would you
determine the gage of metal needed?

Right now I am looking at a 3 in one tool, which can do 16GA. Would a
tool like this be the most useful? I have seen a brake which can do a
thicker gage but they seem to really jump in price and weigh just as
much. What can I use if I have a thicker gage?

The metal I would like to work with are for robotics and just general
purpose brackets.

Thanks,

Those parts are made from photo-etched blanks and then bent on a much
more refined instrument than a 3 in 1 tool.

A 3 in 1 tool _may_ get you what you want, but in my (admittedly limited)
experience I can get far better control over the bend angle with a box
break than with the 'V' bender in a 3 in 1 tool.

I don't know where you'd get a decent box break for less money than a
good used car - this is just as well, because I don't have room for one
right now.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 26, 12:16*am, Rob wrote:
Hello,

I would like to start making brackets and other metal items.
Would anyone have any links or books on metal forming and the tools
needed? *I would like to know how *how they form complex forms like.http://www.tech-etch.com/shield/boardlevelshield.html
Also how would you determine the gage of metal needed?

Right now I am looking at a 3 in one tool, which can do 16GA. *Would a
tool like this be the most useful? *I have seen a brake which can do a
thicker gage but they seem to really jump in price and weigh just as
much. *What can I use if I have a thicker gage?

The metal I would like to work with are for robotics and just general
purpose brackets.

Thanks,

The 3-in-1 machines are barely capable of working at their advertised
limits. 0.050" thick 5052 Aluminum is a reasonable maximum for them.
If I really need thicker metal I build it up from extruded angle and
flat sheet.

I've built a lot of electronic housings with a 3-in-1, a corner
notcher, a drill press, a bandsaw and a belt sander. A good, squared-
up belt sander will clean up hacksawed ends so you can put off buying
the bandsaw.
If you need mechanically strong frames to support power transmission I
suggest welded angle iron or square tubing instead. Steel and aluminum
frames of equal strength and stiffness weigh about the same and steel
holds threaded fasteners much better.

Jim Wilkins