Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Roland XP 60 , 5 octave keyboard , 1997

In for a power supply fault but while in there, the floppy drive has never
worked. Would it be a standard PC drive? or known simple repairable stock
fault? It does klunk once, on pwering up , sort of PC fashion

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 14:11:54 +0000, N_Cook wrote:

In for a power supply fault but while in there, the floppy drive has
never worked. Would it be a standard PC drive? or known simple
repairable stock fault? It does klunk once, on pwering up , sort of PC
fashion

I have an old S-20 that the floppy failed. Not a standard floppy. The
belt had turned to goo. After replacing , the diskette would not read.
Some tweaking of the head resulted in the disk to be read. Not sure this
applies to 60 but may be worth considering.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote in message
news
On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 14:11:54 +0000, N_Cook wrote:

In for a power supply fault but while in there, the floppy drive has
never worked. Would it be a standard PC drive? or known simple
repairable stock fault? It does klunk once, on pwering up , sort of PC
fashion

I have an old S-20 that the floppy failed. Not a standard floppy. The
belt had turned to goo. After replacing , the diskette would not read.
Some tweaking of the head resulted in the disk to be read. Not sure this
applies to 60 but may be worth considering.

I located the ps problem and will lok into the other end tomorrow , FD
covered over at the moment

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 16:39:09 +0000, N_Cook wrote:

Meat Plow wrote in message
news
On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 14:11:54 +0000, N_Cook wrote:

In for a power supply fault but while in there, the floppy drive has
never worked. Would it be a standard PC drive? or known simple
repairable stock fault? It does klunk once, on pwering up , sort of
PC fashion

I have an old S-20 that the floppy failed. Not a standard floppy. The
belt had turned to goo. After replacing , the diskette would not read.
Some tweaking of the head resulted in the disk to be read. Not sure
this applies to 60 but may be worth considering.

I located the ps problem and will lok into the other end tomorrow , FD
covered over at the moment

Well let me know what you find. The S20 has no ROM based sounds so all
was loaded at and during performance via floppy. These floppies are
roughly the size of a Minidisc. As the diskette was attempting to be read
I adjusted the head height and immediately the disk started to load. I
went back and adjusted the other two axis adjustments by sight to make
sure the head rode true on the surface.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote in message
news
On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 16:39:09 +0000, N_Cook wrote:

Meat Plow wrote in message
news
[...]

Standard PC 3.5 inch FD in the xp 60 . Removing it and poking around and
refitting I can save to a PC formatted disk and load back a "song" and read
as HEX files on a pc so perhaps stuck stepper spindle or connector problem.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 10:17:46 +0000, N_Cook wrote:

news

Meat Plow wrote in message
news On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 14:11:54 +0000, N_Cook wrote:

[...]

If it's standard it could be replaced with a PC drive, that's good.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message
news

Meat Plow wrote in message
[...]

In my experience, most (but not all) of these floppys are NOT standard PC
drives. Why this is/was the case I have never really understood. (Unless
it was for the manufacturers to make more money on spare parts). In your
case here, count yourself lucky!

I did once try and investigate whether it was possible to reconfigure
standard drives to work in various keyboards/samplers etc, but at the time
couldn't find enough data, or the time, to do so.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Gareth Magennis wrote in message

"N_Cook" wrote in message
news

Meat Plow wrote in message
[...]

Do you mean non-3.5 inch or not directly swappable FD from a PC to one of
these?
I did not try an ex-PC FD in the Roland.
Noted the type as in the Roland as
Panasonic JU 257A 726P, not researched it, as the green FD front panel LED
was not lit before fiddling and did come on after fiddling and with it
return to function

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Meat Plow wrote in message
news On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 16:39:09 +0000, N_Cook wrote:

Meat Plow wrote in message
[...]

I mean that for most keyboards and samplers etc, swapping in a new PC
3.5inch floppy drive does not and never has worked.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 09:03:03 +0000, Gareth Magennis wrote:

Meat Plow wrote in message
[...]

I once installed a PC DVDRW in a stand alone DVD recorder. However
I used the control boards from the stand alone recorder on the
replacement drive. Both were LiteOn products, the drives were 99% the
same.

Knowing this to work one would assume that a standard 34 pin floppy would
interchange regardless of the unit. That is unless there is some
specialized ROM on a keyboard or synth drive.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

news

Meat Plow wrote in message
[...]

There are legions of Akai, Roland, Korg, Emu and Yamaha owners out there
that dearly wish this were true .....

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 15:06:51 +0000, Gareth Magennis wrote:

news

Meat Plow wrote in message
[...]

I understand that. What I don't understand is why you failed to quote my
entire reply.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

There are legions of Akai, Roland, Korg, Emu and Yamaha owners out there
that dearly wish this were true .....

I understand that. What I don't understand is why you failed to quote my
entire reply.

Are you hoping one day to take over from Phil Allison?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 17:49:04 +0000, Gareth Magennis wrote:

There are legions of Akai, Roland, Korg, Emu and Yamaha owners out
there that dearly wish this were true .....

I understand that. What I don't understand is why you failed to quote
my entire reply.

Are you hoping one day to take over from Phil Allison?

Are you being purposefully evasive?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 17:49:04 +0000, Gareth Magennis wrote:

There are legions of Akai, Roland, Korg, Emu and Yamaha owners out
there that dearly wish this were true .....

I understand that. What I don't understand is why you failed to quote
my entire reply.

Are you hoping one day to take over from Phil Allison?

Are you being purposefully evasive?

Lets just leave it there, eh.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 21:59:10 +0000, Gareth Magennis wrote:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 17:49:04 +0000, Gareth Magennis wrote:

There are legions of Akai, Roland, Korg, Emu and Yamaha owners out
there that dearly wish this were true .....

I understand that. What I don't understand is why you failed to quote
my entire reply.

Are you hoping one day to take over from Phil Allison?

Are you being purposefully evasive?

Lets just leave it there, eh.

Ok but in the future please put some thought into your insults.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 21:59:10 +0000, Gareth Magennis wrote:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 17:49:04 +0000, Gareth Magennis wrote:

There are legions of Akai, Roland, Korg, Emu and Yamaha owners out
there that dearly wish this were true .....

I understand that. What I don't understand is why you failed to quote
my entire reply.

Are you hoping one day to take over from Phil Allison?

Are you being purposefully evasive?

Lets just leave it there, eh.

Ok but in the future please put some thought into your insults.

Didn't think you could just leave it there.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 23:31:54 +0000, Gareth Magennis wrote:

news

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 17:49:04 +0000, Gareth Magennis wrote:

There are legions of Akai, Roland, Korg, Emu and Yamaha owners out
there that dearly wish this were true .....

I understand that. What I don't understand is why you failed to
quote my entire reply.

Are you hoping one day to take over from Phil Allison?

Are you being purposefully evasive?

Lets just leave it there, eh.

Ok but in the future please put some thought into your insults.

Didn't think you could just leave it there.

Ah, a 'last word' obsesso. You're predictable.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

In for a power supply fault but while in there, the floppy drive has never
worked. Would it be a standard PC drive? or known simple repairable stock
fault? It does klunk once, on pwering up , sort of PC fashion

I just destroyed a Roland D-5 keyboard. What a piece of unrepairable
junk. Hopefully, the XP-60 is better built. I could not determine if
the XP-60 media uses 1.44MB or 720KB floppish. What is the make and
muddle drive that is stock for the Roland XP-60?
http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/xp60.php

I recently repaired a Korg DSS-1 with the traditional dead floppy disk
drive problem.
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/Korg_DSS-1/
If your XP60 requires a 720KB floppy drive, instead of the usual
1.44MByte floppy drive, you have to find one that has suitable jumpers
available. This might also help:
http://blog.retrosynth.com/archives/2005/08/fun_with_akai_m.html
If you're lucky, the only jumper you'll need to move is the drive
select jumper, usually labeled DS0, DS1, DS2, and DS3. The common PC
drive is set to DS1. Most of the synthesizers I've played with use
DS0.

Oddly, all of the five or so synthesizers I've fixed that had floppy
drives have all had dead floppy disk drives. My guess(tm) is that
they die from static discharge while shoving the floppy into the
drive. That's what killed mine. I've thought of electroplating the
plastic front panel of the drive with metallic chrome or other metal,
to discharge the static before the floppy enters the drive.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

This one is back with its owner. The FDD would solenoid? click at power up
but no front LED, I assume a leads/connector problem unless a stuck spindle
could lead to lack of LED

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

1.44MB on this XP 60

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 08:39:05 -0000, "N_Cook" wrote:

1.44MB on this XP 60

It's likely that it will accept any commodity PC style floppy drive.
Just be sure to check the drive select line, which is probably set to
DS0 (drive select zero).

Only $129 plus tax, shipping, handling, etc for a replacement. What a
bargain:
http://www.vstservice.com/p-734-roland-xp50-xp-60-floppy-disk-drive.aspx

This review kinda hints that you can do editing on the PC, save to
floppy, and have the XP60 read the floppy without conversion games.
http://www.epinions.com/review/Roland_XP_60_Workstation/content_100371893892
It's probably just easier to cram in a common floppy drive than to
figure this out.

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com
#
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 14:11:54 +0000, N_Cook wrote:

In for a power supply fault but while in there, the floppy drive has
never worked. Would it be a standard PC drive? or known simple
repairable stock fault? It does klunk once, on pwering up , sort of PC
fashion

I had similar troubles with the S330 sampler floppy drive. A standard PC
one didn't work but someone told me that floppy drives with jumpers on
their back work if you set the right ones. Could not yet find a drive w/
jumpers to test if the advice was BS or not though.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote in message
news
On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 14:11:54 +0000, N_Cook wrote:

In for a power supply fault but while in there, the floppy drive has
never worked. Would it be a standard PC drive? or known simple
repairable stock fault? It does klunk once, on pwering up , sort of
PC fashion

I have an old S-20 that the floppy failed. Not a standard floppy. The
belt had turned to goo. After replacing , the diskette would not read.
Some tweaking of the head resulted in the disk to be read. Not sure
this applies to 60 but may be worth considering.

As I remember, early Roland units used the 3 inch Hitachi 360k
byte minidisc. Electromechanically, they looked like the 5 1/4 inch
DD drives. (Half the bit rate, and 300 RPM). Other major users of
them were the Amstrad computers in the UK. And, I think, fancy sewing
machines of the time.

Mark Zenier

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 21:53:23 +0000, Mark Zenier wrote:

Meat Plow wrote in message
news On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 14:11:54 +0000, N_Cook wrote:

In for a power supply fault but while in there, the floppy drive
has never worked. Would it be a standard PC drive? or known simple
repairable stock fault? It does klunk once, on pwering up , sort of
PC fashion

I have an old S-20 that the floppy failed. Not a standard floppy. The
belt had turned to goo. After replacing , the diskette would not
read. Some tweaking of the head resulted in the disk to be read. Not
sure this applies to 60 but may be worth considering.

As I remember, early Roland units used the 3 inch Hitachi 360k byte
minidisc. Electromechanically, they looked like the 5 1/4 inch DD
drives. (Half the bit rate, and 300 RPM). Other major users of them
were the Amstrad computers in the UK. And, I think, fancy sewing
machines of the time.

This is a Roland S10, don't know why S20 came to mind. Anyway you are
100% correct about the drive. I've done some research on it after owning
it for several years. It was given to me by a relative who had purchased
it new 20 some years ago. I have around 100 disks for it. It's a very
nice sounding unit. You can sample into it and it has a good arpeggio
function. Also works well with MIDI.