Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Picture of the ways

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brid...arage/ways.jpg
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus24043 wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brid...arage/ways.jpg

Purty.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:4c4853fa$0
:

Purty.

REAL purty.

But I have a slight (only slight) precaution for that.

Check everywhere you can see. If that machine was heavily used for small
parts production, there may be a very small area of the ways actually
worn.

My old Cincy #2 has visible fish scale, still, and there's no evidence
that it's ever been scraped. But the fish scale disappears in the four
inches or so either side of center. And that's where the X feed gets
"easy", too.

But you may have gotten REAL lucky, and obtained a machine that had been
recently and completely scraped and trued, and not even used much after
that. Boy, that'd be COOL.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-22, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
"Pete C." fired this volley in news:4c4853fa$0
:

Purty.

REAL purty.

But I have a slight (only slight) precaution for that.

Check everywhere you can see. If that machine was heavily used for small
parts production, there may be a very small area of the ways actually
worn.

My old Cincy #2 has visible fish scale, still, and there's no evidence
that it's ever been scraped. But the fish scale disappears in the four
inches or so either side of center. And that's where the X feed gets
"easy", too.

But you may have gotten REAL lucky, and obtained a machine that had been
recently and completely scraped and trued, and not even used much after
that. Boy, that'd be COOL.

Lloyd, my feeling on this is that this condition is a combination of
three things:

1) A really good automatic lubrication system. Surfaces slide on
oil, and not on each other.

2) The mill was used at Motorola to make prototypes of cell phone
parts. They machined only aluminum and black plastic. They also did
not use it for day to day production.

3) The fact that ways are very well covered (though the cover needs
replacement, I will buy machine cover bellows at McMaster-Carr).

4) I moved the table as far out along Y as I could and the ways looked
just as good throughout. That's what is on the picture.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus24043 fired this volley in
:

4) I moved the table as far out along Y as I could and the ways looked
just as good throughout. That's what is on the picture.

Sweet.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-22, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus24043 fired this volley in
:

4) I moved the table as far out along Y as I could and the ways looked
just as good throughout. That's what is on the picture.

Sweet.

So, assuming that the screws are in a similar condition, what do you
think is the accuracy that it is good for? 0.0005?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus24043 fired this volley in
:

So, assuming that the screws are in a similar condition, what do you
think is the accuracy that it is good for? 0.0005?

Maybe less, but that depends on a lot besides the mechanical accuracy of
the platform. Everything inside gets into the act.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com fired this volley in
. 3.70:

Maybe less,

Shoulda sed: "maybe better"...

LS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-22, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus24043 fired this volley in
:

4) I moved the table as far out along Y as I could and the ways looked
just as good throughout. That's what is on the picture.

Sweet.

So, assuming that the screws are in a similar condition, what do you
think is the accuracy that it is good for? 0.0005?

Have you found the original accuracy specifications in the original
manuals?

Assuming the machine is a wear free as it appears, and you do your
backlash and pitch error measurement and compensation, 0.0005" doesn't
seem unreasonable.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-22, Ignoramus24043 wrote:
http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brid...arage/ways.jpg

Nice! You got a good one!

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus24043 wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brid...arage/ways.jpg

If only my knee ways looked that good. My table ways do, rescaped and hard chromed after
a rebuild before I bought it. Knee has issues so I try to work inside the quill range.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-22, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus24043 fired this volley in
:

4) I moved the table as far out along Y as I could and the ways looked
just as good throughout. That's what is on the picture.

Sweet.

So, assuming that the screws are in a similar condition, what do you
think is the accuracy that it is good for? 0.0005?

Depends. How tight (well fitted) are the gibs? As your table moves from centered, there
is a rocking motion that affects Z for sure. Actually, gibs affect orthogonality in all
planes. I'd get a stare using that word at work so I got a smile typing it here. Most of
us know what I mean even if I didn't spell it right.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 09:17:09 -0500, Ignoramus24043
wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brid...arage/ways.jpg

That is a NICE machine!!!

Kudos!!!!

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 10:43:23 -0500, Ignoramus24043
wrote:

2) The mill was used at Motorola to make prototypes of cell phone
parts. They machined only aluminum and black plastic. They also did
not use it for day to day production.

And thats the key to everything right there.

You did Very Well!

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-22, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus24043 wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brid...arage/ways.jpg

If only my knee ways looked that good. My table ways do, rescaped and hard chromed after
a rebuild before I bought it. Knee has issues so I try to work inside the quill range.

Chroming is almost like a miracle. Chroming with good lubrication and
ways covered, is nothing short of that.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-22, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus24043 fired this volley in
:

4) I moved the table as far out along Y as I could and the ways looked
just as good throughout. That's what is on the picture.

Sweet.

So, assuming that the screws are in a similar condition, what do you
think is the accuracy that it is good for? 0.0005?

Depends. How tight (well fitted) are the gibs? As your table moves from centered, there
is a rocking motion that affects Z for sure. Actually, gibs affect orthogonality in all
planes. I'd get a stare using that word at work so I got a smile typing it here. Most of
us know what I mean even if I didn't spell it right.

I do not know, I think that I will spend one day figuring out accuracy
limits on this machine. Backlash, orthogonality and all that.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-23, Gunner Asch wrote:
wrote:
2) The mill was used at Motorola to make prototypes of cell phone
parts. They machined only aluminum and black plastic. They also did
not use it for day to day production.

And thats the key to everything right there.

You did Very Well!

Thanks. I will email the seller of this mill and will mail him a
little thank you note.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 07:59:58 -0500, Ignoramus7608

On 2010-07-22, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus24043 fired this volley in
:

4) I moved the table as far out along Y as I could and the ways looked
just as good throughout. That's what is on the picture.

Sweet.

So, assuming that the screws are in a similar condition, what do you
think is the accuracy that it is good for? 0.0005?

Depends. How tight (well fitted) are the gibs? As your table moves from centered, there
is a rocking motion that affects Z for sure. Actually, gibs affect orthogonality in all
planes. I'd get a stare using that word at work so I got a smile typing it here. Most of
us know what I mean even if I didn't spell it right.

I do not know, I think that I will spend one day figuring out accuracy
limits on this machine. Backlash, orthogonality and all that.

But wait till you get the electronics running properly..

Based solely on the picture of the way you showed us..I dont think you
have much to worry about for quite a while on ortho or much anything
else..including backlash.

They were tough mills, hard to wear out..and that picture and its
history says you have a very long way to go before you have to start
worrying bout much of anything.

If it bothers you..loosen the gibs on Z, put a tenths indicator on the
column and MANUALLY..with your hands..Push against the end of the table,
and read the indicator..then Pull on the end of the table. If it
moves...thats your backlash. Ill bet it doesnt move.

Tighten the gibs back up and you are done screwing around. For a long
time.. you WONT be cutting stuff to 10ths. Nor will there be much reason
to. A half thousand is at most...what you will be worried about..and
generally a grand will do it.

Gunner, CNC tech

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-23, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

I pretty much agree with that.

Bali Best a Ways doffi Woodworking 0 March 23rd 08 12:20 PM
Sound but no picture, picture returns after switch off/on. [email protected] Electronics Repair 3 March 20th 06 08:45 PM
Square ways vs. Dovetailed ways? DeepDiver Metalworking 2 April 5th 05 12:16 AM
Philips tv with no picture or disapearing picture or slow picturestartup but good sound?? Janne G Electronics Repair 5 December 2nd 04 10:31 PM
HITACHI 27CX5B Picture in Picture?? Tom Electronics Repair 0 March 7th 04 01:12 PM