Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default If you need to get oil into a really small space. . .

I recently had to go to an injectable medication for my Type 2
Diabetes. My particular medication uses a calibrated pen with a small
(32 gauge) needle. After using the first pen rather than throwing it
away I am looking for a way to reuse it. I figure that very small 32
gauge needle could deliver small amounts of various lubricants into
very tight spaces. Have any of you done this? I should say I use a RED
Sharpie to mark all of my old pens to they don't accidentally get used
for medication.

DL
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

TwoGuns wrote:

I recently had to go to an injectable medication for my Type 2
Diabetes. My particular medication uses a calibrated pen with a small
(32 gauge) needle. After using the first pen rather than throwing it
away I am looking for a way to reuse it. I figure that very small 32
gauge needle could deliver small amounts of various lubricants into
very tight spaces. Have any of you done this? I should say I use a RED
Sharpie to mark all of my old pens to they don't accidentally get used
for medication.

DL

Fill the syringe with oil, set it aside and see how badly the rubber part swells. Then
you know if you have an excellent oiler.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"TwoGuns" wrote in message
I recently had to go to an injectable medication for my Type 2
Diabetes. My particular medication uses a calibrated pen with a small
(32 gauge) needle. After using the first pen rather than throwing it
away I am looking for a way to reuse it. I figure that very small 32
gauge needle could deliver small amounts of various lubricants into
very tight spaces. Have any of you done this? I should say I use a RED
Sharpie to mark all of my old pens to they don't accidentally get used
for medication.

DL

Yes, I re-use 30-gauge syringes for oil. But you only use them once, and
they don't really work well. Petroleum oil attacks the polymer in the
pistons, and 30-gauge is too small. After a few hours with oil in them,
they're shot. 28-gauge works a lot better for oil. I have some old 28-gauge
syringes that I've saved for lubricating the rear (plain) bearing in my
furnace blower fan.

If you have a prescription for emergency glucagon (probably not, as a Type
2; I'm Type 1), they come with glass syringes with bigger needles, and they
hold up a lot better.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
TwoGuns wrote:

I recently had to go to an injectable medication for my Type 2
Diabetes. My particular medication uses a calibrated pen with a small
(32 gauge) needle. After using the first pen rather than throwing it
away I am looking for a way to reuse it. I figure that very small 32
gauge needle could deliver small amounts of various lubricants into
very tight spaces. Have any of you done this? I should say I use a RED
Sharpie to mark all of my old pens to they don't accidentally get used
for medication.

DL

Fill the syringe with oil, set it aside and see how badly the rubber part
swells.

Quickly, and badly. They stick after a few hours and require a lot of force
to get the oil out.

The pens may have a different plunger/piston but I think he'll have trouble
with the 32 gauge needle.

Then
you know if you have an excellent oiler.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"TwoGuns" wrote in message
[...]

Ed, do you know how many units to equal 1 cc? I was looking for the
conversion and couldn't find it.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

anews.com...

"TwoGuns" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, it's 100 units per cc (the same as 100 units per milliliter).

If your interest is medical, that's all you'll need to know about it.
However, if you have some really old syringes, dating from the 1980s or
earlier, it's possible that you have some U-40 or U-80 syringes, which are
40 and 80 units per CC, respectively. I wouldn't use these, except for hobby
projects.

All insulin and syringes available today are U-100 (except for special
pediatric mixes).

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If it's a low viscosity lube. Heavier lubes need larger needle.

I recently used a syringe to put some oil into the end boot of my
parking brake cable on the Blazer. Slipped the needle between the boot
and the cable, and worked nicely.

Someone used to sell a pocket size pinpoint oiler, with the same
general idea. Many years ago.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"TwoGuns" wrote in message
I recently had to go to an injectable medication for my Type 2
Diabetes. My particular medication uses a calibrated pen with a small
(32 gauge) needle. After using the first pen rather than throwing it
away I am looking for a way to reuse it. I figure that very small 32
gauge needle could deliver small amounts of various lubricants into
very tight spaces. Have any of you done this? I should say I use a RED
Sharpie to mark all of my old pens to they don't accidentally get used
for medication.

DL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/16/2010 8:57 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
If it's a low viscosity lube. Heavier lubes need larger needle.

I recently used a syringe to put some oil into the end boot of my
parking brake cable on the Blazer. Slipped the needle between the boot
and the cable, and worked nicely.

Someone used to sell a pocket size pinpoint oiler, with the same
general idea. Many years ago.

If you go to www.findingking.com and search on "oiler" you'll find a
number of variations.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in
:

On 7/16/2010 8:57 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
If it's a low viscosity lube. Heavier lubes need larger needle.

I recently used a syringe to put some oil into the end boot of my
parking brake cable on the Blazer. Slipped the needle between the boot
and the cable, and worked nicely.

Someone used to sell a pocket size pinpoint oiler, with the same
general idea. Many years ago.

If you go to www.findingking.com and search on "oiler" you'll find a
number of variations.

I have a couple of fancy metal ones that I bought so I could have a small
convenient oiler for my target pistols. They have a push button valve
that uncorks a brass plug in the end of a small tube. I use "RemOil",
which is VERY low viscosity. So low that it leaks out of the valve on
both the two oilers I tried. 3-in-1 might work better.

Like this:

http://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-.../dp/B000KKHNU0

Doug White

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Fill the syringe with oil, set it aside and see how badly the rubber part
swells.

Quickly, and badly. They stick after a few hours and require a lot of force
to get the oil out.

The pens may have a different plunger/piston but I think he'll have trouble
with the 32 gauge needle.

I had some syringes from injecting Thor the wonder dog with insulin and some left over
from fertility drug injections my wife was taking when we were trying to have kids.
Neither worked with oil.

I wonder what kind of rubber is in those things. I also wondered about viton so I did a
search and found this. Looks like you can get them using it.

http://www.harvardapparatus.com/wcss...on%20Guide.pdf

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

[...]

If you really want one to work, it isn't hard to make a new plunger/piston
for them. But I'd start with glass for the tube. I don't know what the
plastic is they use for the disposable ones. And be wary of any needle under
28 gauge. I don't know why, but they don't deliver oil smoothly, in my
experience.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 09:18:30 +0100, Charlie+ wrote:

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 23:18:06 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote :

If you really want one to work, it isn't hard to make a new plunger/piston
for them. But I'd start with glass for the tube. I don't know what the
plastic is they use for the disposable ones. And be wary of any needle under
28 gauge. I don't know why, but they don't deliver oil smoothly, in my
experience.

What do you suggest for the buisness end of the piston? - HDnylon and O
ring perhaps? Have you already done this for real?
I found many of the soft rubber ends to commercial syringes swell and jam
after exposure to oily substances, weedkiller, instrument oil etc. I
suppose the old reusable medical glass type would be good but I cant
remember what the piston seal was in those, prolly difficult to find on
now..
Charlie

Often times..they are simple o-rings. Which are easily replaceable with
other materials. Hence the old glass type are handy to have around.

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote :

If you really want one to work, it isn't hard to make a new plunger/piston
for them. But I'd start with glass for the tube. I don't know what the
plastic is they use for the disposable ones. And be wary of any needle
under
28 gauge. I don't know why, but they don't deliver oil smoothly, in my
experience.

What do you suggest for the buisness end of the piston? - HDnylon and O
ring perhaps? Have you already done this for real?

I don't know what would make the best piston. The one I made for my old
glass glucagon syringe is a piece of 1/8"-thick Teflon that I turned to size
on my lathe. It leaked, but it didn't stick.

I found many of the soft rubber ends to commercial syringes swell and jam
after exposure to oily substances, weedkiller, instrument oil etc. I
suppose the old reusable medical glass type would be good but I cant
remember what the piston seal was in those, prolly difficult to find on
now..
Charlie

Again, I have some glass glucagon syringes. They have what appears to be the
same polymer piston as the plastic-barreled ones. They didn't work
especially well with oil, either, until I replaced the piston in one of
them.

They aren't dead smooth on the inside. If you need precision, lap them
internally. It's easy to do.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/17/2010 10:46 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

They aren't dead smooth on the inside. If you need precision, lap them
internally. It's easy to do.

Somewhere in the house I have the used syringes from an autoinjector. I
kept them because there is no seal- they have a ground glass plunger in
a ground glass tube.

Kevin Gallimore
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote *:

[...]

I have a 2cc glass syringe with a ground glass plunger. That's the way
they all were back in the days when doctor's offices had sterilizers.
The switch to plastic started in the early 60s, bringing with it a
whole new form of medical waste to deal with. There were no "sharps"
containers - it was left to the doctor to dispose of these things.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote :

If you really want one to work, it isn't hard to make a new plunger/piston
for them. But I'd start with glass for the tube. I don't know what the
plastic is they use for the disposable ones. And be wary of any needle under
28 gauge. I don't know why, but they don't deliver oil smoothly, in my
experience.

What do you suggest for the buisness end of the piston? - HDnylon and O
ring perhaps? Have you already done this for real?

Actually -- what *I* prefer are the old ground-glass fitted
syringe and plunger.

I found many of the soft rubber ends to commercial syringes swell and jam
after exposure to oily substances, weedkiller, instrument oil etc. I
suppose the old reusable medical glass type would be good but I cant
remember what the piston seal was in those,

The piston seal was glass to glass with very little gap. The
liquid filled the remainder of the gap and lubriacted the travel of the
plunger.

They were mostly BD Luer-Lok (the latter part of the name
referring to the bayonet/taper combination for attaching the needle.
Some, however, had nothing but the ground-glass taper as a fitting for
the needle.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 20:36:01 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

Yes, I re-use 30-gauge syringes for oil. But you only use them once, and
they don't really work well. Petroleum oil attacks the polymer in the
pistons, and 30-gauge is too small. After a few hours with oil in them,
they're shot. 28-gauge works a lot better for oil. I have some old 28-gauge
syringes that I've saved for lubricating the rear (plain) bearing in my
furnace blower fan.

I re-use them as well. Even though I use a single syringe for a couple of
weeks (2 per day long-acting, 4 per day short acting out of a pen), I still
have an enormous collection for when I need some :-) They can also be used for
mixing small quantities of two-part paint. Cut the needle off with a chisel
and use the syringe once only. It'll seize up even faster than with oil, but
is handy if you only want to mix enough paint to go over a blemish.

When I started in 1965, my syringes had stainless pistons. Those were the good
old days (not!). OTOH, I never had to buy methylated spirits for my toy steam
engines. Thank you NHS :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM