Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default leds to replace 50 watt halogen in a disco light

simple on this i hope,

i have a simple disco light in my games room, a 50 watt halogen light (12
volts i believe) shines onto a parabolic shaped disc covered with coloured
mirror tiles, the disc rotated in time with the music, and projects a
swirling pattern of light on the wall and floor.

i'd like to keep my power consumption low as all my machines pull a fair few
(hundred of) watts each, so i was thinking of replacing the halogen bulb
with a led array.

i'm guessing i need to be thinking of luxeon type led's, but what light
output leds would i need?
distance from the bulb holder to the mirror is about 3 inches, then it's
reflected light is shone through a lens behind the bulb holder, so i imagine
i'll need a few led's to cover the entire mirror surface (about 4 inches in
diamiter)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Gazz" wrote in message
simple on this i hope,

i have a simple disco light in my games room, a 50 watt halogen light (12
volts i believe) shines onto a parabolic shaped disc covered with coloured
mirror tiles, the disc rotated in time with the music, and projects a
swirling pattern of light on the wall and floor.

i'd like to keep my power consumption low as all my machines pull a fair
few (hundred of) watts each, so i was thinking of replacing the halogen
bulb with a led array.

i'm guessing i need to be thinking of luxeon type led's, but what light
output leds would i need?
distance from the bulb holder to the mirror is about 3 inches, then it's
reflected light is shone through a lens behind the bulb holder, so i
imagine i'll need a few led's to cover the entire mirror surface (about 4
inches in diamiter)

I think if I was you, I would stick with the halogen bulb. Apart from the
difficulties with correctly driving Luxeon (or similar) high power LEDs, I
think that you will be disappointed with the resulting performance. Optics
designed for use with a point source omni-directional light such as a
filament bulb, do not work well with narrow angle flat plane sources such as
LEDs or LED arrays.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , "Gazz" wrote:
simple on this i hope,

i have a simple disco light in my games room, a 50 watt halogen light (12
volts i believe) shines onto a parabolic shaped disc covered with coloured
mirror tiles, the disc rotated in time with the music, and projects a
swirling pattern of light on the wall and floor.

i'd like to keep my power consumption low as all my machines pull a fair few
(hundred of) watts each, so i was thinking of replacing the halogen bulb
with a led array.

i'm guessing i need to be thinking of luxeon type led's, but what light
output leds would i need?
distance from the bulb holder to the mirror is about 3 inches, then it's
reflected light is shone through a lens behind the bulb holder, so i imagine
i'll need a few led's to cover the entire mirror surface (about 4 inches in
diamiter)

To replace a halogen color use this....
http://ledsupply.com/creexre-ww.php

Get some lens, narrow is probably what you want. Drive
it to 700 ma. and use heat sinking. Start out with one,
and go from there.

greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Gazz wrote:
simple on this i hope,

A different approach:

http://makezine.com/20/lunchboxen/

Geoff.

New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.