Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default My Powermaticdrill press with VFD

Pics with the VFD mounted, and all up and running. I actually produced some
chips with it today.

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/w...VFDmounted.jpg

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/w...201200/VFD.jpg

--
Greg O

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-12-14, Greg O wrote:
Pics with the VFD mounted, and all up and running. I actually produced some
chips with it today.

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/w...VFDmounted.jpg

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/w...201200/VFD.jpg

Looks way cool. Where is the switch, though?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-12-14, Greg O wrote:
Pics with the VFD mounted, and all up and running. I actually produced
some
chips with it today.

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/w...VFDmounted.jpg

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/w...201200/VFD.jpg

Looks way cool. Where is the switch, though?

Switch? Switch for what?
I got it set up to run it all through the VFD, and axed the factory on-off
switch. I have forward/reverse, jog, start, and stop. I have the braking set
to one second, which is the lowest setting, so at any speed it will come to
a complete stop in one second, or less. When running the VFD at 30 hertz,
and the variable speed cranked all the way down, about 60 RPM, the spindle
will stop in 1/2 a revolution.
What more do you need?
Greg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/w...tic%201200/VFD...

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/w...tic%201200/VFD...

--
Greg O

The bins to the left in the picture are empty. What kind of a
metalworker has empty bins?
Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" wrote in message
On Dec 13, 4:58 pm, "Greg O" wrote:
Pics with the VFD mounted, and all up and running. I actually produced
some
chips with it today.

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/w...tic%201200/VFD...

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/w...tic%201200/VFD...

--
Greg O

The bins to the left in the picture are empty. What kind of a
metalworker has empty bins?
Paul

Bolt bins, and they are not empty. They are just not real full, just full
enough!
Greg O

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Greg O" wrote in message
Pics with the VFD mounted, and all up and running. I actually produced
some chips with it today.

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/w...VFDmounted.jpg

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/w...201200/VFD.jpg

--
Greg O

Kool. I mistread it as Problematic drill press. ;)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Greg O wrote:
Pics with the VFD mounted, and all up and running. I actually produced
some chips with it today.

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/w...VFDmounted.jpg

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/w...201200/VFD.jpg

Nice set-up, seems to be missing the OH-SH(T button though. The one that
you can mash when things go wrong and stop it NOW.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote in message
Greg O wrote:
Pics with the VFD mounted, and all up and running. I actually produced
some chips with it today.

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/w...VFDmounted.jpg

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/w...201200/VFD.jpg

Nice set-up, seems to be missing the OH-SH(T button though. The one that
you can mash when things go wrong and stop it NOW.

--
Steve W.

The stop button stops the spindle in one second. Fastest braking this VFD
will do.
Good enough "oh ****" button for me.
Greg O

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

no - that 1 sec "braking" is really a deceleration profile that will power
it for 1 sec on a donward RPM slope - you want the E-stop to cut power to
the motor - every VFD I've ever seen (a few dozen that I've looked at
carefully) had a feature that put it into "neutral" - sometimes you had to
choose but it is always there. Set the "off" switch to "coast" rather than
the decl profile - much safer.

Note that you can have surprises due to too fast decl, such as a screw
mounted thing unscrewing - coast is a much better choice

"Greg O" wrote in message

"Steve W." wrote in message
Greg O wrote:
Pics with the VFD mounted, and all up and running. I actually produced
some chips with it today.

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/w...VFDmounted.jpg

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/w...201200/VFD.jpg

Nice set-up, seems to be missing the OH-SH(T button though. The one that
you can mash when things go wrong and stop it NOW.

--
Steve W.

The stop button stops the spindle in one second. Fastest braking this VFD
will do.
Good enough "oh ****" button for me.
Greg O

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-12-15, Bill Noble wrote:
no - that 1 sec "braking" is really a deceleration profile that will power
it for 1 sec on a donward RPM slope - you want the E-stop to cut power to
the motor - every VFD I've ever seen (a few dozen that I've looked at
carefully) had a feature that put it into "neutral" - sometimes you had to
choose but it is always there. Set the "off" switch to "coast" rather than
the decl profile - much safer.

Note that you can have surprises due to too fast decl, such as a screw
mounted thing unscrewing - coast is a much better choice

You obviously have not tried elecronic deceleration. It may be the
best feature of a VFD on a drill press and other machines.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 18:08:14 -0600, Ignoramus18922

On 2009-12-15, Bill Noble wrote:
no - that 1 sec "braking" is really a deceleration profile that will power
it for 1 sec on a donward RPM slope - you want the E-stop to cut power to
the motor - every VFD I've ever seen (a few dozen that I've looked at
carefully) had a feature that put it into "neutral" - sometimes you had to
choose but it is always there. Set the "off" switch to "coast" rather than
the decl profile - much safer.

Note that you can have surprises due to too fast decl, such as a screw
mounted thing unscrewing - coast is a much better choice

You obviously have not tried elecronic deceleration. It may be the
best feature of a VFD on a drill press and other machines.

I concure. There are some issues with power stop and coasting..but
frankly..they are less in number and severity when using power stop.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill Noble" wrote in message
no - that 1 sec "braking" is really a deceleration profile that will power
it for 1 sec on a donward RPM slope - you want the E-stop to cut power to
the motor - every VFD I've ever seen (a few dozen that I've looked at
carefully) had a feature that put it into "neutral" - sometimes you had to
choose but it is always there. Set the "off" switch to "coast" rather
than the decl profile - much safer.

Note that you can have surprises due to too fast decl, such as a screw
mounted thing unscrewing - coast is a much better choice

Stopping too fast on a drill press?? Never heard of such a concept! I would
rather stop right now, than coast to a stop when something goes to hell!
And what is this screw mounted thing you talk of??
Greg O

FA - press that would be useful as a pen press or an embossing press Bill Noble[_2_] Woodturning 1 July 6th 09 02:59 AM
Brake press fab for shop press [email protected] Metalworking 4 January 21st 09 01:09 PM
Tap and Die Press eljainc Metalworking 6 November 2nd 07 02:38 AM
Portable drill press/guide vs. Real drill press? blueman Woodworking 9 September 8th 06 05:32 PM
FA: rotary punch press and manual punch press John Metalworking 1 January 2nd 06 08:54 AM