Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tap and Die Press

Hello,

We have a standard tap and die sets in our workshop. I remember seeing
somewhere recently a device that would make it easier to do taps/dies,
not using a wrench but a press or contraption on a vise. We aren't
looking for a real expensive press (not the $20,000 ones that are
automated) but one that is a manually operated one. Can someone give
me some names of vendors or links where one can purchase one of
these? (under $1000 please).

Thanks
Mike McWhinney
elja, Inc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"eljainc" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hello,

We have a standard tap and die sets in our workshop. I remember seeing
somewhere recently a device that would make it easier to do taps/dies,
not using a wrench but a press or contraption on a vise. We aren't
looking for a real expensive press (not the $20,000 ones that are
automated) but one that is a manually operated one. Can someone give
me some names of vendors or links where one can purchase one of
these? (under $1000 please).

Thanks
Mike McWhinney
elja, Inc.

Mike

Something like this?

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PARTPG=INLMK3

several manufactures, search for "hand tapper"

Carl Boyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

eljainc wrote:

Hello,

We have a standard tap and die sets in our workshop. I remember seeing
somewhere recently a device that would make it easier to do taps/dies,
not using a wrench but a press or contraption on a vise. We aren't
looking for a real expensive press (not the $20,000 ones that are
automated) but one that is a manually operated one. Can someone give
me some names of vendors or links where one can purchase one of
these? (under $1000 please).

Thanks
Mike McWhinney
elja, Inc.

Are you talking about a hand tapper?

http://tinyurl.com/ymbnym
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 31, 7:42 pm, Grant Erwin wrote:
eljainc wrote:
Hello,

We have a standard tap and die sets in our workshop. I remember seeing
somewhere recently a device that would make it easier to do taps/dies,
not using a wrench but a press or contraption on a vise. We aren't
looking for a real expensive press (not the $20,000 ones that are
automated) but one that is a manually operated one. Can someone give
me some names of vendors or links where one can purchase one of
these? (under $1000 please).

Thanks
Mike McWhinney
elja, Inc.

Are you talking about a hand tapper?

http://tinyurl.com/ymbnym

Yes, that is it. A hand tapper. Thanks to both of you for your replies

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 31, 9:39 pm, eljainc wrote:
Yes, that is it. A hand tapper. Thanks to both of you for your replies
Mike-

To me those things aren't sensitive enough for 6-32 and below. I use a
vee block to start small taps straight, and some machinists make small
guide blocks with holes the size of tap shanks.

You can clamp a lathe dog onto the tap shank for a handle and use the
untightened drill chuck to keep the tap aligned to the pilot hole.

Jim Wilkins

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...815&PARTPG=INL
MK3

several manufactures, search for "hand tapper"

Carl Boyd

Careful....

The link given is for the tapping adapter set. The tapper itself is:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PMAKA=318-000
7

Jerry

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to eljainc :
Hello,

We have a standard tap and die sets in our workshop. I remember seeing
somewhere recently a device that would make it easier to do taps/dies,
not using a wrench but a press or contraption on a vise. We aren't
looking for a real expensive press (not the $20,000 ones that are
automated) but one that is a manually operated one. Can someone give
me some names of vendors or links where one can purchase one of
these? (under $1000 please).

Well ... for the *taps*, consider a tapping head mounted to a
drill press. The ones which I have are made by Tapmatic, but there are
other makers as well.

You set the depth stop on the drill press so the tap never gets
past perhaps two turns from the end, and simply bring the spindle down
to start the tap into the pre-drilled hole. It goes on in until you hit
the depth stop, at which point the tap is uncoupled from the spindle.
As you withdraw the spindle, it switches into a reverse gear which is
faster than the forward, and backs the tap out.

Be sure to use a "gun" tap (spiral point tap) so it chases the
chips down into the hole and out the other side for through holes, or a
spiral flute tap to bring the chips up out of the hole, for blind holes,
since you aren't going to be in a position to stop and reverse the tap
ever quarter to half turn as you do by hand.

As for *dies* -- you have a bit more of a problem with standard
dies -- even if you make an adaptor to use them on a tap head. They are
not made for continuous cutting (no spiral lead-in so the chips
accumulate in the flutes.

For die work, what I do (on the lathe, not on the drill press)
is to use a Geometric die head of appropriate size, and the proper
chasers. The die head is mounted in a turret, and when the turret
reaches its stop, it releases the chasers (like the jaws of a 4-jaw
chuck, except that they cut threads) so they spring away from the
workpiece, allowing the workpiece to keep rotating without engaging the
chaswers. Then you bring the turret back and operate a lever to close
the jaws for the next workpiece. (Usually the turret is set up to
advance another tool after the one you just used, so you can do many
operations with a single setup. My turret has six stations.) Note that
there are versions of this which have a turned groove in a sliding ring
to engage or disengate the chasers while the spindle is rotating the die
head -- in either a mill or a drill press -- but I have not used one of
these. They would be better for threading studs which had been left as
standing features by previous milling.

Either the tapping head or the die head is somewhat north of
your $1000.00 when bought new -- but both can be found on eBay from time
to time. You may need to do a bit of work to make them work with your
machines. (For example, I had to make two Morse Taper No.2 shanks
threaded at the other end to match the tapping heads which I got. Some
of them have a female Jacobs taper, so you can use standard drill chuck
arbors for the task.

You also have to make something which serves as a stop for the
arm which comes out of the side of the tapping head. It is this which
allows you to switch into reverse to back the taps out without having to
reverse the drill press spindle. I made a collar which clamps around
the bottom of the drill press spindle, and which supports a vertical arm
to engage the horizontal arm from the tapping head.

Anyway -- even *new* these are a lot cheaper than a mill or
drill press with feed geared to spindle revolution to drive the tap.

Note that for some materials, you may want a thread *forming*
tap (also called a "roll tap") which generates *no* chips -- but it
requires a different, and more precise tap drill to do the job.

I hope that this is some help,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Portable drill press/guide vs. Real drill press? blueman Woodworking 9 September 8th 06 05:32 PM
jet drill press [email protected] Metalworking 1 April 16th 06 08:14 PM
FA: rotary punch press and manual punch press John Metalworking 1 January 2nd 06 08:54 AM
Drill Press gregj Woodworking 9 August 24th 05 03:41 AM
Which drill press to buy? Keith Boeheim Woodworking 27 February 6th 04 03:13 AM