Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Moving Shop

What are good, economical ways to move a home shop? The move is 1500
miles. I need to move an 11" lathe, Hardinge TM, Logan 8" shaper, Jet
17" drill press, 4x6 bandsaw on cart, welder on cart, cutting rig cart
& stuff, Famco 3R press w stand, 5'x5' welding table, two Vidmar tool
cabinets, other stuff & stock.

I looked for lift gate trucks, nobody does one-ways. Trucks with
ramps are available, ramps are narrow and limited in capacity. Right
now I'm leaning toward a container. I'm thinking of 4x4 skids on big
stuff, including the tool boxes, and a pallet jack.

Getting the stuff out of the basement is another issue, for which I'll
probably use a ramp up the stairs, bracing beneath, a winch, and mdf
floor covering to the garage.

Pros, cons, or other ideas appreciated. Thanks.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete Keillor wrote:

What are good, economical ways to move a home shop? The move is 1500
miles. I need to move an 11" lathe, Hardinge TM, Logan 8" shaper, Jet
17" drill press, 4x6 bandsaw on cart, welder on cart, cutting rig cart
& stuff, Famco 3R press w stand, 5'x5' welding table, two Vidmar tool
cabinets, other stuff & stock.

I looked for lift gate trucks, nobody does one-ways. Trucks with
ramps are available, ramps are narrow and limited in capacity. Right
now I'm leaning toward a container. I'm thinking of 4x4 skids on big
stuff, including the tool boxes, and a pallet jack.

Getting the stuff out of the basement is another issue, for which I'll
probably use a ramp up the stairs, bracing beneath, a winch, and mdf
floor covering to the garage.

Pros, cons, or other ideas appreciated. Thanks.

Pete Keillor

Any of the U-Pack-It type moving companies will do. Have them drop a
trailer at your staging area, you rent a box truck with lift gate to get
your palletized stuff to the trailer, back box truck up to trailer,
throw down a piece of plywood and palette jack right across. A flatbed
wrecker can be used to load stuff like a forklift into the trailer. At
the far end do the same in reverse. Been there, done that and lived to
tell about it.

PS: A container is nice, but delivery and pickup is normally done with a
big tilt bed trailer and winch and is expecting the container to be
empty, i.e. 10,000# light, not loaded with another 20,000# of cargo.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:

PS: A container is nice, but delivery and pickup is normally done with a
big tilt bed trailer and winch and is expecting the container to be
empty, i.e. 10,000# light, not loaded with another 20,000# of cargo.

There are side loading rigs that will pick up a loaded container,
keeping it pretty parallel to the ground.
Even if a tilt bed would pick one up loaded, not the hot setup when
loaded with machinery!

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Anderson wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

PS: A container is nice, but delivery and pickup is normally done with a
big tilt bed trailer and winch and is expecting the container to be
empty, i.e. 10,000# light, not loaded with another 20,000# of cargo.

There are side loading rigs that will pick up a loaded container,
keeping it pretty parallel to the ground.
Even if a tilt bed would pick one up loaded, not the hot setup when
loaded with machinery!

Jon

I've not seen any portable side load rigs that will handle real ISO
cargo containers, only the rigs for the tiny little "PODS" or similar.

As for tilting a loaded container, that isn't a problem if they are
packed properly. Those containers see plenty of tilting on the slow boat
from China and the cargo generally arrives intact. Well, except for the
few that get blown off the top of the stack in a good storm and end up
at the bottom of the ocean, but I bet the contents are still secure when
they settle on the bottom.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:

I've not seen any portable side load rigs that will handle real ISO
cargo containers, only the rigs for the tiny little "PODS" or similar.

I've not seen one either, but as I'm looking into moving my shop to Oz,
I wondered how the heck to get a loaded container down to port. Guy that
sells containers locally came out to see my location, due to the narrow
and downhill nature. He can drop off and pick up an empty 20' container
no problem with his tilt bed. But he assures me there's a guy in
Sacramento that has a side loader that will pick it up with 20,000+
loaded, in addition to the weight of the container! That, I am going to
be -very- interested in watching! Here's one link I found to this type
of rig: http://www.cdkmobile.com/steelbro.htm

As for tilting a loaded container, that isn't a problem if they are
packed properly. Those containers see plenty of tilting on the slow boat
from China and the cargo generally arrives intact. Well, except for the
few that get blown off the top of the stack in a good storm and end up
at the bottom of the ocean, but I bet the contents are still secure when
they settle on the bottom.

I don't even want to -think- about my shop ending up in Davy Jone's
Locker... But wonder, have you seen any sites on proper loading of
containers for international shipping?

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Anderson wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

I've not seen any portable side load rigs that will handle real ISO
cargo containers, only the rigs for the tiny little "PODS" or similar.

I've not seen one either, but as I'm looking into moving my shop to Oz,
I wondered how the heck to get a loaded container down to port. Guy that
sells containers locally came out to see my location, due to the narrow
and downhill nature. He can drop off and pick up an empty 20' container
no problem with his tilt bed. But he assures me there's a guy in
Sacramento that has a side loader that will pick it up with 20,000+
loaded, in addition to the weight of the container! That, I am going to
be -very- interested in watching! Here's one link I found to this type
of rig: http://www.cdkmobile.com/steelbro.htm

Nice rig, I expect they are a bit difficult to find. Of course you can
always have a regular crane come out for an hour and load the container
onto a standard container chassis.

As for tilting a loaded container, that isn't a problem if they are
packed properly. Those containers see plenty of tilting on the slow boat
from China and the cargo generally arrives intact. Well, except for the
few that get blown off the top of the stack in a good storm and end up
at the bottom of the ocean, but I bet the contents are still secure when
they settle on the bottom.

I don't even want to -think- about my shop ending up in Davy Jone's
Locker... But wonder, have you seen any sites on proper loading of
containers for international shipping?

I've not seen any sites, but I can tell you how I would do it:

- Jack the container up on solid concrete blocks to gain access to the
bottom (18" or so).
- Lag bolt the machines onto very solid palettes (temporary).
- Lube up the machines with plenty of rustproofing grease.
- Wrap the machines tightly in stretch wrap (leave access to the bolt
points).
- Load the palettes into the container and position appropriately.
- One by one, remove each lag bolt, drill a 1/2" hole down all the way
through the hardwood floor of the container, install a long 1/2" bolt
through a 4" square x 1/4" thick washer plate up through the hole in the
container, through the palette and through the machine foot and secure
with a washer, nut, lock washer and backup nut.
- For tall items and all other non boltable stuff, secure to palettes,
lag bolt palettes to the container floor, secure additionally with 2"
ratchet cargo straps to the welded in D rings along the container walls.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pros, cons, or other ideas appreciated. �Thanks.

Pete Keillor

Pete

Hire somebody with the necessary lifts etc to get the stuff out of the
basement and into a container. Then cover everything with plastic.
Shoot a big load of expanding foam in and shut the door quickly. Ship
to the location and put in a shop that is ground level.

Take a second job to pay for the heavy lifting moving etc. You will
not regret this.

Wher are you moving this stuff from and to?

Bob AZ

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete Keillor" wrote in message
What are good, economical ways to move a home shop? The move is 1500
miles. I need to move an 11" lathe, Hardinge TM, Logan 8" shaper, Jet
17" drill press, 4x6 bandsaw on cart, welder on cart, cutting rig cart
& stuff, Famco 3R press w stand, 5'x5' welding table, two Vidmar tool
cabinets, other stuff & stock.

I looked for lift gate trucks, nobody does one-ways. Trucks with
ramps are available, ramps are narrow and limited in capacity. Right
now I'm leaning toward a container. I'm thinking of 4x4 skids on big
stuff, including the tool boxes, and a pallet jack.

Getting the stuff out of the basement is another issue, for which I'll
probably use a ramp up the stairs, bracing beneath, a winch, and mdf
floor covering to the garage.

Pros, cons, or other ideas appreciated. Thanks.

Pete Keillor

My friend moved his shop from CA to MT in 2 40' containers. He had to hire a
crane at each end to load and unload the containers from the flatbed.

His biggest problem was that he had too much stuff and had to off load some
because it weighed too much.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete Keillor" wrote in message

As a second thought you could just load the machines on to a flatbed. My
friend needed temporary storage at the destination end so he opted for
containers. If weather is a problem the load can be tarped.

--
Roger Shoaf

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Or look for a trucker equipped with a 'curtain van' - basically a flat-bed
complete with integral side winches and tiedown straps but with weather
resistant fabric sides and a top. These seem to be gaining increasing
popularity.

David Merrill

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message

"Pete Keillor" wrote in message

As a second thought you could just load the machines on to a flatbed. My
friend needed temporary storage at the destination end so he opted for
containers. If weather is a problem the load can be tarped.

--
Roger Shoaf

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete, please forgive me if I am mistaken, but none of these machines
weighs over 1,000 lbs, right? Hardinge TM seems to come closest at 900
lbs.

If so, if it was up to me, I would just rent a U-Haul trailer one way
and load it with that stuff. You should get by with just a couple of
dollies and a Harbor Freight two ton crane. You do not need to be a
gorilla to load any of ths machinery.

Getting this stuff out of the basement is a different issue that I do
not know much about. I carried a Powermatic 150 down the basement
once, it was painful.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete Keillor" wrote in message

Buy yourself a trailer for hauling, and then you can more easily buy more
cool stuff too.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 13:40:38 -0400, Pete Keillor
wrote:

What are good, economical ways to move a home shop? The move is 1500
miles. I need to move an 11" lathe, Hardinge TM, Logan 8" shaper, Jet
17" drill press, 4x6 bandsaw on cart, welder on cart, cutting rig cart
& stuff, Famco 3R press w stand, 5'x5' welding table, two Vidmar tool
cabinets, other stuff & stock.

I looked for lift gate trucks, nobody does one-ways. Trucks with
ramps are available, ramps are narrow and limited in capacity. Right
now I'm leaning toward a container. I'm thinking of 4x4 skids on big
stuff, including the tool boxes, and a pallet jack.

Before you give up on a rented truck, do some serious checking.
Because one company might have a surplus of trucks where you are and a
defecit at the destination. If most of the moving is going the other
way, you might be able to get a One-Way deal where they usually
wouldn't allow it.

Or look for a third location that does have a surplus of trucks, and
you can go pick up the truck for delivery to the destination city.
Make a dog-leg that is shorter than a full round trip.

The reason it is betterto drive it yourself is that you know the
driver will be careful with the load. Unless you know you can bolt
that iron down in a shipping container or a semi-trailer bullet-proof,
and it can go the whole way without someone tightening the straps
after any hard bumps or unexpected lurches...

-- Bruce --

Moving Services World Moving & Storage Moving Companies World Marketing Home Repair 0 June 28th 08 08:50 AM
Moving the gar-shop Todd Fatheree Woodworking 16 September 1st 05 08:44 PM
Goodyear, AZ: selling home shop tools, moving Kevin P. Fleming Woodworking 1 May 8th 05 08:37 PM
moving shop mel Woodworking 19 February 4th 05 07:14 PM
Moving Heavy Shop Equipment without a Forklift! John Metalworking 33 February 3rd 05 04:57 AM