Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono
msg msg is offline

Default Antique leatherette case smells like poop, crap, etc. (can't findprevious thread on this topic)

I remember reading a thread within the last month regarding explanations
for why some old wooden cases with leatherette (or leather) fabric coverings
smell (or stink) with a very vile smell. The expression I remember reading
in the previous thread was "smells like poop". All attempts to locate this
thread using Google Groups has come up null for me, so I would appreciate
either a pointer to it or some replies in this thread. IIRC, one explanation
involved perhaps the use of horse glue which has deteriorated over time, but
there were other ideas mentioned as well.

I would also appreciate suggestions for remediation of the foul odor.

Regards,

Michael