Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default last thoughts on getting recalcitrant BDs to play...

Thanks to another poster's suggestion, I Googled "Starship Troopers" +
"won't play" and found the solution.

It seems that this disk requires proof of citizenship -- I mean a memory
card -- to run! I retrieved the little card supplied by Sony, plugged it in,
and -- et tu, Viola! -- it plays.

Who'da thunk it...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 10:04:10 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

Thanks to another poster's suggestion, I Googled "Starship Troopers" +
"won't play" and found the solution.

It seems that this disk requires proof of citizenship -- I mean a memory
card -- to run! I retrieved the little card supplied by Sony, plugged it in,
and -- et tu, Viola! -- it plays.

Plug it into where? Is there a smart card slot? A green card slot?
This reeks of yet another Sony copy protection scheme.

Who'da thunk it...

Reality sometimes follows fiction:
"U.S. Military Will Offer Path to Citizenship"
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/us/15immig.html

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Thanks to another poster's suggestion, I Googled "Starship Troopers" +
"won't play" and found the solution.

It seems that this disk requires proof of citizenship -- I mean a memory
card -- to run! I retrieved the little card supplied by Sony, plugged it

in,
and -- et tu, Viola! -- it plays.

Plug it into where? Is there a smart card slot? A green card slot?
This reeks of yet another Sony copy protection scheme.

There's a memory card slot on the back. It's required for Web access or
something. It has no software on it; it's just for storing files. Many BD
players have them.

It couldn't be used for copy protection because, at the moment, there's no
way to copy BD movies.

Who'da thunk it...

Reality sometimes follows fiction:
"U.S. Military Will Offer Path to Citizenship"
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/us/15immig.html

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 14:15:44 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Thanks to another poster's suggestion, I Googled "Starship Troopers" +
"won't play" and found the solution.

It seems that this disk requires proof of citizenship -- I mean a memory
card -- to run! I retrieved the little card supplied by Sony, plugged it

in,
and -- et tu, Viola! -- it plays.

Plug it into where? Is there a smart card slot? A green card slot?
This reeks of yet another Sony copy protection scheme.

There's a memory card slot on the back. It's required for Web access or
something. It has no software on it; it's just for storing files. Many BD
players have them.

On the back? That's rather inconvenient if you have the unit
installed in a cabinet or under a pile of similar equipment. I guess
you're suppose to leave the card in there.

It couldn't be used for copy protection because, at the moment, there's no
way to copy BD movies.

I hate to tell you this, but a quick Google search for "copy Blue-Ray
movies" yielded quite a bit on cracking the encryption and duplicating
the content. I don't know anything about it so I have no idea if the
various programs actually work. For example:
http://www.dvd-cloner.com
http://www.opencloner.com/blu-ray_to_dvd.html

Copying is apparently sufficiently important to Sony that they devised
the memory card slot (dongle) copy protection scheme to reinforce the
MMC protected content.

Who'da thunk it...

Reality sometimes follows fiction:
"U.S. Military Will Offer Path to Citizenship"
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/us/15immig.html

I sorta recall that the ancient Romans had a rather serious problem
when most of their legions were foreign nationals. Whatever works,
but I guess we don't learn much from history. I saw the original
Starship Troopers when it first came out. It was ok for the violence,
but I don't think I would pay to watch it again. I read the Heinlein
story in the 1960's but don't recall anything remarkable about it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starship_Troopers

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Copying is apparently sufficiently important to Sony that they devised
the memory card slot (dongle) copy protection scheme to reinforce the
MMC protected content.

Well, that's not what it's currently used for. And this particular film
seems to be one of a very few with this quirk. I have other Columbia films
that don't require it.

I sorta recall that the ancient Romans had a rather serious problem
when most of their legions were foreign nationals. Whatever works,
but I guess we don't learn much from history. I saw the original
Starship Troopers when it first came out. It was ok for the violence,
but I don't think I would pay to watch it again. I read the Heinlein
story in the 1960's but don't recall anything remarkable about it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starship_Troopers

It's a nasty little piece of anti-Fascist satire, which appears to invert
Heinlein's intentions.

Any thoughts? Ted[_2_] UK diy 20 October 8th 07 08:04 PM
recalcitrant microwave VisionSet UK diy 15 February 9th 07 12:57 AM
Tile over recalcitrant vinyl? astrojeff Home Repair 0 February 6th 07 03:02 AM
Question about recalcitrant door hinges Noons Woodworking 4 February 6th 05 11:31 AM
Thoughts Ghodges2 Woodturning 53 November 21st 04 07:52 AM