Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Exponential Economics

They say we can't grow our way out of our massive national debt here
in America, but there's a chance that riding an exponential economic
wave (with the right kind of surf board) could do it.

Moore's law: semiconduct price halve and capacity doubles in 18
months.

Adrian Bowyer's vision: getting one RepRap machine to make its own
parts will clear the way for "a chicken in every pot", given enough
cycles of doubling time.

These are not the only two technologies exhibiting or subject to
exponential growth, and for certain, not every technology is subject
to such growth.

Just a thought I had....I see fewer and fewer posts about metalworking
here in rec.crafts.metalworing, and more and more debate on political
concerns. Why not combine the two, and let the best idea win?

Doug Goncz
Replikon Research
Seven Corners, VA 22044-0394
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 02:59:06 -0700, DGoncz wrote:

They say we can't grow our way out of our massive national debt here in
America, but there's a chance that riding an exponential economic wave
(with the right kind of surf board) could do it.

[...]
Just a thought I had....I see fewer and fewer posts about metalworking
here in rec.crafts.metalworing, and more and more debate on political
concerns. Why not combine the two, and let the best idea win?

With that newsgroup name misspelled, people may be unsure if you're
talking about rec.crafts.metalwhoring or rec.crafts.metalworking.
Combination with political concerns would be more natural in the
former.

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Whenever I see someone writing/talking about "exponential growth" or
"exponential" something, I have to wonder what they are using for the
exponent? Zero is a valid exponent. So is -2. So is 1000. So what
exponent are you referring to?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Paul