Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tool for measuring 1/8" to 1/4" outer diameter?

What is it called and where (USA, preferably online) can I buy a
starter tool for measuring the outer diameter of small diameter rods
and whatever other shapes? I'd like something more accurate than
looking sideways at a ruler. Thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John Doe wrote:

What is it called and where (USA, preferably online) can I buy a
starter tool for measuring the outer diameter of small diameter rods
and whatever other shapes? I'd like something more accurate than
looking sideways at a ruler. Thanks.

"Dial Caliper" or "Digital Caliper" depending on your preference.

For a beginner, I'd get a cheap dial caliper from Harbor Freight to get
the 'feel' of how the measurement system works.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=5658

Carla
If you can't spot the sucker at the poker table, it's you.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 04:22:35 GMT, John Doe
wrote:

What is it called and where (USA, preferably online) can I buy a
starter tool for measuring the outer diameter of small diameter rods
and whatever other shapes? I'd like something more accurate than
looking sideways at a ruler. Thanks.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...Itemnumber=895

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John Doe" wrote in message

What is it called and where (USA, preferably online) can I buy a
starter tool for measuring the outer diameter of small diameter rods
and whatever other shapes? I'd like something more accurate than
looking sideways at a ruler. Thanks.

Carla's recommendation is good, but if you want precise measurements, buy a
micrometer. They aren't as versatile as calipers, but much more precise.
Let your needs make the decision for you.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

(...)

Carla's recommendation is good, but if you want precise measurements, buy a
micrometer. They aren't as versatile as calipers, but much more precise.
Let your needs make the decision for you.

Micrometers are more accurate than calipers, too.

--Winston (GD&R)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You have already gotten god advice.
Think about the amount of precision you need means:

Squinting sideways at a ruler= the actual diameter plus or minus
1/16" or so.
Cheap dial caliper= the actual diameter plus or minus a couple of
thousandths of an inch

Decent micrometer= the actual diameter plus or minus a couple of ten
thousandths of an inch.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------------------

John Doe wrote:
What is it called and where (USA, preferably online) can I buy a
starter tool for measuring the outer diameter of small diameter rods
and whatever other shapes? I'd like something more accurate than
looking sideways at a ruler. Thanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

spaco wrote:

You have already gotten god advice.

Holy moly.

Decent micrometer= the actual diameter plus or minus a couple of ten
thousandths of an inch.

Planning to order an inexpensive micrometer (Empire Level 2780).

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...JL._SS500_.jpg

Thanks to the replies.

--
The first big front wheel rollerblades.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/2565924423/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 15:09:10 GMT, John Doe
wrote:

Planning to order an inexpensive micrometer (Empire Level 2780).

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...JL._SS500_.jpg

Ugh. "Die cast metal frame" would make me nervous. Cheaper and
probably better:
http://www.shars.com/products/view/1...ide_Micrometer

I've purchased several things from Shars and have always been pleased
with the value.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ned Simmons wrote:

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 15:09:10 GMT, John Doe

Planning to order an inexpensive micrometer (Empire Level 2780).

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...JL._SS500_.jpg

Ugh. "Die cast metal frame" would make me nervous. Cheaper and
probably better:
http://www.shars.com/products/view/1...ide_Micrometer

Great pics.
Currently I'm looking at Mitutoyo Quick-Mini Series 700 and
MyCal-Lite Series 700.

--
I try to buy something made in a democracy (if the price difference
isn't outrageous).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
WWS WWS is offline

http://www.shars.com/products/view/1..._Frame_Outside
_Micrometer

I've purchased several things from Shars and have always been pleased
with the value.

eBay has a like new Starrett 0-1 with box, wrench, and paperwork for
about $4.04 incl. shipping - for auction.
Item number: 170267391345

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

What is it called and where (USA, preferably online) can I buy a
starter tool for measuring the outer diameter of small diameter rods
and whatever other shapes? I'd like something more accurate than
looking sideways at a ruler. Thanks.

Digital caliper -- quick and easy to read -- but not quite as
accurate. Readout typically to 0.0005" (or 0.01mm).

These typically can measure things up to 6" diameter (or long or
whatever). Keep spare batteries on hand for them. They don't always
last very long. And turning it "off" does not really turn it *all* off
-- just the display part, not the measuring part.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...Itemnumber=895

Micrometer -- more accurate -- and with the Veeder-Root style
display on that one, just as easy to read. One to cover the size you
requested will cover from 0.000" to 1.000". You need extra ones to
cover 1-2", 2-3" and so on, but for what you requested, one is
sufficient.

A cheap micrometer can read to 0.001". A more expensive one can
read to 0.0001" (with the use of a vernier, which you will have to learn
to read), It looks as though this one has the vernier -- you won't get
the 0.0001" readings from the Veeder-Root readout.

And it is a little tricky to get the readout and the thimble
zeroed at the same point.

Get a good electronic digital one, and you get direct readout to
0.00005".

O.K. Electronic digital -- the readout looks as though it only
goes to 0.0001" -- but that may be switched into mm mode, in which case
it should go to 0.00005" in inch mode. Looks as though the thimble on
this one is in mm not inches.

Still -- any of these will do what you requested.

Note that there are also (older) versions of the calipers in the
first list which don't require batteries.

The original version was the vernier caliper -- hard to find
now, except used ones on eBay. They measure to 0.001" but you need to
learn to read a vernier. Some have dual scales and verniers, and can
read in both inch and metric.

The next one is the dial caliper in which a needle rotates
around a dial (usually covers 0.100" per rotation). Most of these are
solely inch or solely metric, though there are some with a weird mix of
two needles geared to rotate properly, and two scales. I personally
would not use one of these.

As for measuring "whatever shapes" -- you will probably find
some shapes which you can't measure with any of these. Examples include
three and five flute milling cutters. There are specialized V-anvil
micrometers for these tasks -- two different ones, depending on the
number of flutes.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I ordered a Mitutoyo MyCAL Lite 700-113 Digital Caliper 6" off of
eBay. Whether or not it's satisfactory, I'm sure it's better than
nothing (assuming the auction was legitimate). Thanks to the
replies/advice/keywords.

I plan to use it for grinding a cordless tool motor gear to fit
snugly inside of an aluminum tube. The caliper might not be very
accurate, but I suspect it will be accurate enough to measure and
correct the results of my grinding.

Apparently there is some disagreement about measuring the evenness
of a cylinder best with either a micrometer or a caliper. Seems to
me that a narrow jaw you can slide along the rod would help give an
idea of which end is wider. But I suppose you could also modify a
typical micrometer to give it a thin jaw.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John Doe" wrote in message

I ordered a Mitutoyo MyCAL Lite 700-113 Digital Caliper 6" off of
eBay. Whether or not it's satisfactory, I'm sure it's better than
nothing (assuming the auction was legitimate). Thanks to the
replies/advice/keywords.

I plan to use it for grinding a cordless tool motor gear to fit
snugly inside of an aluminum tube. The caliper might not be very
accurate, but I suspect it will be accurate enough to measure and
correct the results of my grinding.

Apparently there is some disagreement about measuring the evenness
of a cylinder best with either a micrometer or a caliper. Seems to
me that a narrow jaw you can slide along the rod would help give an
idea of which end is wider. But I suppose you could also modify a
typical micrometer to give it a thin jaw.

You can buy mikes with thin anvils, and mikes with replaceable anvils of
various types. But you won't find many, or any of them in the low-priced
category.

Not knowing how closely you have to fit that gear in the tube I wouldn't
judge which is better for you, but there are several reasons that mikes are
more accurate. The narrow jaws of a slide caliper are not necessarily a
problem, except that you have to be extra careful to keep a caliper
perpendicular to the work, or you'll get some cosine error. However, that's
mostly a problem when you're using the beveled outer tips, not when you have
a part well inside of the jaws.

Calipers are more lightly constructed and they spring; the trick is to be
consistent in applying pressure. This is easier to do with a mike.

But if you're doing work of average accuracy and you only want to buy one
tool, a caliper is far more versatile. When you get into precision work and
close fits, the mike usually will serve you better.

If you think of this as your *first* tool, rather than your only one, you
won't go wrong with either one -- because you'll want the other one before
long. g

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" huntres23 optonline.net wrote:

But if you're doing work of average accuracy and you only want
to buy one tool, a caliper is far more versatile.

Yup, it has proven very useful, from time to time.