Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Help choosing indexer for Surface Grinder.

Just bought a small manual surface grinder and am confused by the
different types of indexers available. Could someone out there explain
the pros and cons of spin indexers, collet fixtures, harig grind-all's, etc?

Thanks for any help.

Chuck
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 13:57:15 -0700, roninchuck wrote:

Just bought a small manual surface grinder and am confused by the
different types of indexers available. Could someone out there explain
the pros and cons of spin indexers, collet fixtures, harig grind-all's, etc?

Thanks for any help.

Chuck

Spin indexers will allow indexing to selectable angles and rotating the part
for a poor-man's-cylindrical-grinder. The likes of the Harig grind-all will
allow the part to be held off centre for grinding radii. R.J.Newbould's
indexer will be similar, but more accurate.

I currently use a cheap 5C spin indexer when I need it.

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mark Rand wrote:
On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 13:57:15 -0700, roninchuck wrote:

Just bought a small manual surface grinder and am confused by the
different types of indexers available. Could someone out there explain
the pros and cons of spin indexers, collet fixtures, harig grind-all's, etc?

Thanks for any help.

Chuck

Spin indexers will allow indexing to selectable angles and rotating the part
for a poor-man's-cylindrical-grinder. The likes of the Harig grind-all will
allow the part to be held off centre for grinding radii. R.J.Newbould's
indexer will be similar, but more accurate.

I currently use a cheap 5C spin indexer when I need it.

Mark Rand
RTFM

Thanks Mark, your advice is always appreciated.

Chuck