Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default DiAcro corner notcher fences, pics or drawings?

Last year I scored several DiAcro sheetmetal tools, among
them a corner notcher. The seller was a ways into
Alzheimers, his son was helping him out. The corner notcher
was missing the fences, or side gages. They were sure the
items were around, but I've lost their number and they've
never called me back. I assume now that I'll have to make
something. Not a big deal, I got the notcher, a 24" shear,
and 24" finger brake, all on stands, for $800 total, Not too
shabby, so I figure I can easily put some labor into this.

I've used corner notchers before, most having a casting
bolted to the table and the gage had a rectangular bar that
slid through a slot in the casting, locked by thumbscrew.
But it's been a couple decades and my memory is fuzzy.

While I could design replacements from scratch, I'd sure
like to see a close up picture or two, or get a scan of a
DiAcro manual clearly showing how these were made. Does
anyone have one of these with factory gages they could send
me a picture of, or a manual with a decent drawing they
could scan and email?

Only DiAcro corner notcher I could find on ebay has rather
generic gages that require being squared up as well as
dimensionally set each time.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Di-acro-hand-she...QQcmdZViewItem
While I'll likely make a set of these for certain cuts, I
want something that keeps the gage square.

Thanks,

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-09-04, Jon Anderson wrote:
Last year I scored several DiAcro sheetmetal tools, among
them a corner notcher. The seller was a ways into

[ ... ]

While I could design replacements from scratch, I'd sure
like to see a close up picture or two, or get a scan of a
DiAcro manual clearly showing how these were made. Does
anyone have one of these with factory gages they could send
me a picture of, or a manual with a decent drawing they
could scan and email?

Only DiAcro corner notcher I could find on ebay has rather
generic gages that require being squared up as well as
dimensionally set each time.

Auction # 170258164555

While I'll likely make a set of these for certain cuts, I
want something that keeps the gage square.

Well ... the PDF of the manual (which I downloaded from DiAcro a
few years ago) shows gages just like the ones shown in the photos on
eBay. The only difference is that the DiAcro manual uses Allen head
capscrews and washers to hold them down instead of thumbscrews.

It is a fairly small one (only 846,995 bytes) and I could email
it to you if you can accept eMail of that size. The file name which I
have for it is "2_Hand_Notcher_Manual.pdf". It is all of five pages.

I thought that their web site had come back to life and that you
could download from them again. Nope -- I just checked the site, and
there are no manuals for download -- you even have to register to
download a catalog.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don,

Well heck, got some egg on my face.... I was going to say
I'd love a copy of the manual, I'd not managed to snag that
one before DiAcro pulled all the manuals. I just went to
check and see what manuals I did snag, and dang, I do have
the notcher manual! I'd totally forgotten I'd bagged that
until you mentioned their website.
Thank you for the offer though.

I'm not sure the notcher with the gages I'm thinking of was
a Diacro, but it was a quality item. Well, maybe I'll just
go about designing what I'd like to have, though the
pictured ones are easy to make and have their uses too.

And, if anyone needs it, the other manual I snagged was for
the #12 and #18 hand turret punch. It's a bit over 4mb if
anyone needs a copy. I'd also love to find PDF manuals for
the 24" finger brake and 24" hand shear.

Thanks,

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-09-04, Jon Anderson wrote:
Don,

Well heck, got some egg on my face.... I was going to say
I'd love a copy of the manual, I'd not managed to snag that
one before DiAcro pulled all the manuals. I just went to
check and see what manuals I did snag, and dang, I do have
the notcher manual! I'd totally forgotten I'd bagged that
until you mentioned their website.
Thank you for the offer though.

You're welcome.

[ ... ]

And, if anyone needs it, the other manual I snagged was for
the #12 and #18 hand turret punch. It's a bit over 4mb if
anyone needs a copy. I'd also love to find PDF manuals for
the 24" finger brake and 24" hand shear.

I got those too -- and the turret punch manuals as well.

The two manuals which you are interested in a

2.4M Feb 14 2006 12_and_24_Hand_Shear_Manual.pdf
1.0M Feb 14 2006 24_and_36_Finger_Brake_Manual.pdf

And the sizes are in Megabytes. If you can accept e-mail that size
without problems, let me know and I'll e-mail them to you.

Since Newsguy is soon going to move over to a new set of news
servers, and I will probably be off usenet for 24 hours or so, send me a
private e-mail to let me know. My e-mail in the headers is valid --
nothing to do to fix it. (The spamers seem to be getting the
Messaged-IDs as much as my real e-mail address these days. :-) Observe
the following. It looks sort of like an e-mail address, and the
spamers' 'bots don't know the difference. I see them getting rejected
regularly by my mail server.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Tubing notcher [email protected] Metalworking 13 August 1st 07 12:53 AM
Is a tubing notcher really necessary? [email protected] Metalworking 7 February 2nd 06 04:33 AM
Diacro Gone? Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 14 December 1st 05 01:03 PM
Notcher question Gunner Metalworking 4 November 9th 05 05:21 PM
Bearings for home built tube notcher. [email protected] Metalworking 1 December 8th 04 07:13 PM