Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Indexable insert end mill

Well , when I used the same material as the writer ... I was successful .
Testing to happen as soon as I can get a #6-32 shcs to hold the insert . The
article I got the plans from is on page 66 of HSM issue from may/june 2003 .
I made a couple of minor changes , made it a 7/8 mill with a 3/4 straight
shank . I did use a piece of crs I had , as did the author . This time , I
left the piece right where it was drilled , chucked the tap in the mill's
drill chuck . Sprayed liberally with penetrating oil while tapping , I was
still afraid of breaking the tap - and I drilled it .006 big too ...

--
Snag
picked up several 6-32 taps just in case ...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Terry Coombs wrote:
Well , when I used the same material as the writer ... I was
successful . Testing to happen as soon as I can get a #6-32 shcs to
hold the insert . The article I got the plans from is on page 66 of
HSM issue from may/june 2003 . I made a couple of minor changes ,
made it a 7/8 mill with a 3/4 straight shank . I did use a piece of
crs I had , as did the author . This time , I left the piece right
where it was drilled , chucked the tap in the mill's drill chuck .
Sprayed liberally with penetrating oil while tapping , I was still
afraid of breaking the tap - and I drilled it .006 big too ...

Guess I should clarify - I turned the chuck by hand , with the mill in
high gear . I wouldn't dare drive that size under power , after reading the
info I got here !
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Terry Coombs" wrote:

Well , when I used the same material as the writer ... I was successful .
Testing to happen as soon as I can get a #6-32 shcs to hold the insert . The
article I got the plans from is on page 66 of HSM issue from may/june 2003 .
I made a couple of minor changes , made it a 7/8 mill with a 3/4 straight
shank . I did use a piece of crs I had , as did the author . This time , I
left the piece right where it was drilled , chucked the tap in the mill's
drill chuck . Sprayed liberally with penetrating oil while tapping , I was
still afraid of breaking the tap - and I drilled it .006 big too ...

So you made your own insertable endmill? Good deal. Are you able to post pictures?

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

Well , when I used the same material as the writer ... I was
successful . Testing to happen as soon as I can get a #6-32 shcs to
hold the insert . The article I got the plans from is on page 66 of
HSM issue from may/june 2003 . I made a couple of minor changes ,
made it a 7/8 mill with a 3/4 straight shank . I did use a piece of
crs I had , as did the author . This time , I left the piece right
where it was drilled , chucked the tap in the mill's drill chuck .
Sprayed liberally with penetrating oil while tapping , I was still
afraid of breaking the tap - and I drilled it .006 big too ...

So you made your own insertable endmill? Good deal. Are you able to
post pictures?

Wes

Yup , and last night after I posted , I found a screw and tested it (still
need to get some allens , slotted head is way too soft) . Works pretty good
.... I can take a few photos and post them in the dropbox , might take a day
or so . Might be trying some insert tooling for the lathe since this worked
out as well as it did .
--
Snag
'90 Ultra "Strider"