Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Help with metal lathe purchase/ advice....

Hello Everyone,

Hopefully there are some knowledgeable peeps on here about lathes,
particularly engine lathes. I have been on the search for a little
while for a smaller 2hp, 10 or 12 inch engine lathe to get expand my
welding business with a machine sector. I have found a lathe but
there are two areas where I need a bit of advice before I
purchase....

1) It is an older (circa 40s 50s) LeBlond engine lathe, geared head,
reverse, pretty much the whole nine...but 16" swing. It is a huge
machine but with all the extras (three chucks, steady rest, all the
goodies) and only 1000.00 for everything. The only wear that I can
tell is a bit on the bed, near the chuck obviously, and some play on
the compound rest in the y direction. So my question here is...is
this thing just too big to start a shop with? It seems like it would
easily do every job but maybe not as easy to work with as a smaller
machine?

2) It is located clear across the country (Canada) in Ontario, and I
am in Vancouver. So I would have to drive there from British Columbia
and trailer it back....Is it worth the drive?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

BSPS

Control gear for 70W metal halide lamps - where to purchase? Nick UK diy 2 July 7th 08 08:33 PM
Lathe Purchase P.I._Maine Woodturning 42 October 26th 06 04:15 PM
Lathe purchase charflem Woodturning 8 February 20th 05 07:11 AM
New Lathe Purchase Michael Burton Woodturning 12 March 31st 04 06:33 AM
Need advice on lathe purchase. Harry Metalworking 19 February 11th 04 08:43 PM