Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lincoln Tig 300 problems

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 14:44:28 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

I picked up a Lincoln tig 300 square wave machine a couple weeks ago.

snip
Gunner.... looks like you're getting some good information, but I feel
it is my moral responsibility to let you know that your efforts will
be futile, and your only recourse is to crate that thing up and send
it to me so I can "dispose" of it properly..... G
Ken.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I picked up a Lincoln tig 300 square wave machine a couple weeks ago.

snip
Gunner.... looks like you're getting some good information, but I feel
it is my moral responsibility to let you know that your efforts will
be futile, and your only recourse is to crate that thing up and send
it to me so I can "dispose" of it properly..... G
Ken.

G That stubby little critter is HEAVY. I used the forklift to put
it up on my welding table and tried to shove it into a corner so I
could work on it.

I pushed..and it didnt move. I pushed harder and it moved a
smidge..puckered up the old bung hole and pushed HARD to get it where
i wanted it

Pretty good sized transformer in that critter.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I picked up a Lincoln tig 300 square wave machine a couple weeks ago.

snip
Gunner.... looks like you're getting some good information, but I feel
it is my moral responsibility to let you know that your efforts will
be futile, and your only recourse is to crate that thing up and send
it to me so I can "dispose" of it properly..... G
Ken.

Warning! Stick it on a pallet, and it weighs 840 Lbs. (That
actually includes the wheeled cart and a torch cooler.) At
least that's what mine weighed when shipped. Fortunately, mine
came in excellent shape, and I only had one problem with it, the
post-flow timer would stick on. One replacement capacitor and
it works like a charm. Bad news is that the thing is full of
Tantalum capacitors, which tend to degrade over time, especially
if the unit is unused for a couple years.

But, I sure wouldn't even want to pay the shipping on one of
these if it has serious problems. It has a very complicated
electronic control system that could be real trouble to fix
without factory repair documents. Lincoln will send out the
machine wiring drawing (I think you can download it from their
web site for old models, too) but won't provide info on what is
in the boards themselves. The main board must have 40 CMOS 4000
series chips, and there are 3 or 4 smaller boards, too. Even
with complete schematics it could take sume serious study to
figure out what's wrong.

Jon