Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Dell 152FPc fixed

Anyone who has one of the above (or similar) can reference the info he
http://www.electronicrepairguide.com/dell-e153fpc-lcd-monitor-repair.htmlhttp://www.electronicrepairguide.com/dell-e153fpc-lcd-monitor-repair.html
in order to apply the same fix which was successful for me, on this
monitor I received for free.

I replaced the exact 1000 mmf 16v 105C unit shown (C992) on the site
with what I had laying around, a 25 volt 85c cap. The original was
obviously discolored and bulged. Although the model # was slightly
different, the inverter board was identical. I hope that uprating the
voltage will prove sufficient, but wonder what the chances are that I'll
have to open this one up again to fit a 105c part. It's working fine
now....

jak
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The higher voltage is very good, but the underrated temperature spec could
be a problem. If the cap goes shorted, this can cause much more damage than
it is worth! Take the effort and order a cap with the proper temperature
spec. If you have the physical space for a higher voltage rate cap this is
also better. As for the uF of the cap, these are not usually very critical,
especially for filtering or low frequency decoupling.

--

JANA
_____

"jakdedert" wrote in message
Anyone who has one of the above (or similar) can reference the info he
http://www.electronicrepairguide.com/dell-e153fpc-lcd-monitor-repair.htmlhttp://www.electronicrepairguide.com/dell-e153fpc-lcd-monitor-repair.html
in order to apply the same fix which was successful for me, on this
monitor I received for free.

I replaced the exact 1000 mmf 16v 105C unit shown (C992) on the site
with what I had laying around, a 25 volt 85c cap. The original was
obviously discolored and bulged. Although the model # was slightly
different, the inverter board was identical. I hope that uprating the
voltage will prove sufficient, but wonder what the chances are that I'll
have to open this one up again to fit a 105c part. It's working fine
now....

jak

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

JANA wrote:
The higher voltage is very good, but the underrated temperature spec could
be a problem. If the cap goes shorted, this can cause much more damage than
it is worth! Take the effort and order a cap with the proper temperature
spec. If you have the physical space for a higher voltage rate cap this is
also better. As for the uF of the cap, these are not usually very critical,
especially for filtering or low frequency decoupling.

Thanks. You can see an analysis of the circuit, and the cap's place in
it (filter on the secondary side of the SMP), at the URL I cited. I did
it initially as a 'proof of concept' since I can get a few more of these
now that I've proved they're easily fixable.

I can pick the cap up locally. I'll do so. The hardest part of the
repair was getting the damn thing apart without breaking/scratching
anything. It was all plastic clips, no screws at all. Now that I've
got it down, I could probably fix up to maybe two of three of these an hour.

jak
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 16:08:24 -0500, jakdedert
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Anyone who has one of the above (or similar) can reference the info he
http://www.electronicrepairguide.com/dell-e153fpc-lcd-monitor-repair.htmlhttp://www.electronicrepairguide.com/dell-e153fpc-lcd-monitor-repair.html
in order to apply the same fix which was successful for me, on this
monitor I received for free.

I replaced the exact 1000 mmf 16v 105C unit shown (C992) on the site
with what I had laying around, a 25 volt 85c cap. The original was
obviously discolored and bulged. Although the model # was slightly
different, the inverter board was identical. I hope that uprating the
voltage will prove sufficient, but wonder what the chances are that I'll
have to open this one up again to fit a 105c part. It's working fine
now....

jak

It's better to use a 105degC, low ESR type, otherwise you won't have
peace of mind.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Franc Zabkar wrote:
[...]

I understand that. I was seeking 'some' peace of mind, or evidence that
it would be misplaced. I got that (the latter), thanks. I used what I
had available on a Sunday. I need to put my ESR meter together.
Perhaps I'll do that this week, as I have accumulated quite a backlog of
repair jobs...and a fresh pound of 60/40.

I'll buy the part this week, and cross my fingers until then. JANA said
that the value was not critical in this part of the circuit. Most of my
experience is with non SM supplies. Looking at the circuit explanation
on the link in the OP, do you concur? I actually 'have' a 1500mmf 25v
which I could have used. I won't open it up again until I have a new
part, but, in your opinion, would that have worked? I wouldn't have
hesitated to uprate the value by that much in a conventional
supply...based on 'parts on hand'.

Thanks again.

jak

- Franc Zabkar

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I understand that. I was seeking 'some' peace of mind, or evidence that
it would be misplaced. I got that (the latter), thanks. I used what I
had available on a Sunday. I need to put my ESR meter together. Perhaps
I'll do that this week, as I have accumulated quite a backlog of repair
jobs...and a fresh pound of 60/40.

I really don't think you'll have a problem. I usually like to use 105C
capacitors, I would be shocked if the temperature is anywhere near 85C that
standard caps are good for. 105's will probably last a bit longer, but the
cap you put in there may give you 5-10 years of service.

OT. Dell The Medway Handyman UK diy 162 January 10th 08 09:26 PM
Dell DJ Dell pocket DJ battery replacement Mark Electronics Repair 0 October 27th 07 12:11 AM
DELL support person ? anyone who can help reference a DELL LCD? mikercana1 Electronics Repair 9 January 16th 07 02:40 AM
Damaged Dell Flat Panel 2001FP, Dell says they don't repair flatpanels Brad Curfman Electronics Repair 15 October 7th 05 04:54 AM
Stationary planers - fixed head or fixed table? Steve Turner Woodworking 5 July 12th 03 02:15 AM