Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default vcr/dvd combo causes moving vertical lines on tv... help please

I just purchased a Sony vcr/dvd combo (model #slvd-370p). I liked
this model because it allows my coaxial cable from my antenna to be
hooked up (yes, I still use an antenna). The newer models of vcr/dvd
combos do not have this procedure.

My main use of this device was to record tv programs from the
television. Therefore, I only hooked up the coax cable from the
antenna to the input coax fitting on the vcr and the the output coax
cable to the tv. When I switched the remote to the vcr/dvd option
(as opposed to the tv option) and started playing a tape, I got moving
vertical lines across the tv screen. These lines are about an inch
apart and they move from left to right. While the tv is still
watchable, it is annoying. While still in the vcr/dvd mode, if I try
to watch the regular tv stations, I still get the vertical lines.

Now, here is the strange part, when I switch the remote to the tv
option, the moving vertical lines disappear! In the tv option, I am
controlling the tv directly and not through the vcr. The strange
part of all this, is that when I am in the tv option, the signal still
passes through the vcr/dvd combo.

I would like to keep the device. Therefore, I would appreciate any
thoughts about the nature of the problem and what I can do about it.

Thanks, Al

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"alkon" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Sounds possibly like the DVD / VCR's modulator is outputting on a channel
that is already 'occupied' with a local transmission ?? Can you shift the
output channel a little via a menu setting ? With the TV set to the 'VCR'
channel, try running the antenna straight back into the TV's coax socket and
see if you can see anything on the screen.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

On 28 jun, 21:19, alkon wrote:
[...]

check the manual and reset the RF output channel -usually this is done
by holding in some buttons with the device in standby, often the UHF
out channel appears in the unit's internal display then you adjust it
up or down.
-B