DV

Default RCA TV/VCR combo vertical problem

RCA 27" Model T25001GY, chassis B4UY91RVT

Intermittent vertical collapse to about 4". On/Off reset causes symptom to
go away, not always. Anyone seen this problem with this set before? Have
schematics on the way but would appreciate any info.

Thanks, DV

john

Look for dry solder joints in the Vertical section.
Get that Magnifier out....You will find them with that.
kip

--
"Watch the return E-Mail addy its false"
"DV" wrote in message
ink.net...
RCA 27" Model T25001GY, chassis B4UY91RVT

Intermittent vertical collapse to about 4". On/Off reset causes symptom to
go away, not always. Anyone seen this problem with this set before? Have
schematics on the way but would appreciate any info.

Thanks, DV

Sofie

DV:
Don't keep "nursing" this along. If you wait to have it fixed and continue
operating the unit, the repair shop price will be much higher because of
additional failed components. Right now, the problem (as john's / kip's)
reply post suggested, is most likely caused by dry, cracked or otherwise
faulty solder joints in the vertical deflection circuitry..... and if you
take it to a repair shop right away it can probably be repaired fairly
cheaply.
Don't waste your money and time purchasing schematics, they will not include
a step by step troubleshooting and repair procedure for this type of
problem...... and if you feel you need a schematic to locate the faulty area
of the circuitry then you probably should just take it to a repair shop for
a proper and safe repair.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"DV" wrote in message
ink.net...
RCA 27" Model T25001GY, chassis B4UY91RVT

Intermittent vertical collapse to about 4". On/Off reset causes symptom to
go away, not always. Anyone seen this problem with this set before? Have
schematics on the way but would appreciate any info.

Thanks, DV

DV

Thanks for the tip. Did see some suspect joints. Unit currently under test
after resoldering. Didn't know if there were one or more capacitors in the
vertical section were known to be particularly troublesome.
DV
"john" wrote in message
.. .
Look for dry solder joints in the Vertical section.
Get that Magnifier out....You will find them with that.
kip

--
"Watch the return E-Mail addy its false"
"DV" wrote in message
ink.net...
RCA 27" Model T25001GY, chassis B4UY91RVT

Intermittent vertical collapse to about 4". On/Off reset causes symptom

go away, not always. Anyone seen this problem with this set before? Have
schematics on the way but would appreciate any info.

Thanks, DV

DV

Thanks for the response. I appreciate what you are saying about the repairs.
While I don't a lot of experience in consumer electronic repairs, TV's or
otherwise, I do have expertise in electronics repair in general because of
the work I've been doing for the past 20+ years. Having said that, I must
say that I have a lot of respect for the persons in your profession who
could quickly look at this set and diagnose it. I don't know what you
consider a "cheap" repair, but I do know that I don't want to put $100 into.
This particular repair shouldn't be that complex based on the symptoms and
the responses I've received so far. Also, I'm interested in at least trying
to repair it myself because I am in the field. That's why I'm on usenet
looking for clues.

Best regards,
DV

P.S. I don't have any schematics actually ordered yet and probably won't.

"Sofie" wrote in message
[...]

"DV" wrote in message
ink.net...
RCA 27" Model T25001GY, chassis B4UY91RVT

Intermittent vertical collapse to about 4". On/Off reset causes symptom

go away, not always. Anyone seen this problem with this set before? Have
schematics on the way but would appreciate any info.

Thanks, DV

Sofie

DV:
If no defective parts are involved this straight-forward repair at many
service shops could be about $50 or even less...... and it is probably
unlikely that any of the caps are bad because the picture would not
"usually" be instantly good, then bad, then good again.... as all of the
replies have indicated, it is probably defective solder connections near and
around the vertical deflection circuitry and/or the flyback derived B+
supply to the vertical deflection... faulty solder joints are usually near
and around the high heat producing parts.... chips, transistors, diodes,
power resistors, etc.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

news

"Sofie" wrote in message
[...]

"DV" wrote in message
ink.net...
RCA 27" Model T25001GY, chassis B4UY91RVT

Intermittent vertical collapse to about 4". On/Off reset causes

symptom
go away, not always. Anyone seen this problem with this set before?

Have
schematics on the way but would appreciate any info.

Thanks, DV

DV

Thanks Daniel,
There was one area in the deflection circuitry where the board was
discolored due to heat. I made sure to hit all of those points. Appreciate
the tip about the B+. Unit currently OK after 6+ hours....we'll see.

Best regards, DV

"Sofie" wrote in message
[...]

news

"Sofie" wrote in message
[...]

"DV" wrote in message
ink.net...
RCA 27" Model T25001GY, chassis B4UY91RVT

Intermittent vertical collapse to about 4". On/Off reset causes

symptom
go away, not always. Anyone seen this problem with this set before?

Have
schematics on the way but would appreciate any info.

Thanks, DV

DV

16 hours testing with no failure. I'm declaring it repaired until further
notice. Many thanks for the tips john and sofie........excellent group.

DV

nk.net...

"Sofie" wrote in message
[...]

news

[...]