Posted to sci.electronics.repair
BE BE is offline

Default Analog VHS to DVD question

I just purchased a Panasonic PV-GS500 video camera (miniDV; 3 CCDs; 16:9)
and _assumed_ it would also allow me to do analog transfer of my VHS videos.
I discovered today that it does not have the proper ports. (Panasonic
apparently removed them after last year's models.) My old VCR is very basic
and has no S-Video out port, just the Red/Yellow/White connections.

My computer is an iMac G5; the software part of this equation is not a
problem.

I have a nice Sony home theater system that has all sorts of ports,
including S-Video. I wonder if I could possibly route the video signal from
the VCR through the home theater receiver and then into the camera via the
S-Video port, then into the computer via the firewire port???

Thanks,
Be

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi!

I wonder if I could possibly route the video signal from the VCR through

the
home theater receiver and then into the camera via the S-Video port, then
into the computer via the firewire port???

It is unlikely that you would cause any damage or harm anything by trying
this. However, you may notice that the video quality degrades noticeably
because of the numerous connections and longer cable lengths.

William

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

You are approaching the problem the wrong way...
Easier to just buy a DVD recorder/player. I have 2; a Toshiba DR4, and a
SANYO DRW-500. Both cheap junk, Both under $40, and both record/play
very well. Both have analog and S-video/composite ports. The Toshiba
does - and -RW recording,which I use to transfer VHS to a format my 9"
TV/DVD boat TV uses. Where the Sanyo does all + and +RW formats.
Better than trying to cable-up a workaround. The losses and signal
degradation will be significant.
JR

BE wrote:
I just purchased a Panasonic PV-GS500 video camera (miniDV; 3 CCDs; 16:9)
and _assumed_ it would also allow me to do analog transfer of my VHS videos.
I discovered today that it does not have the proper ports. (Panasonic
apparently removed them after last year's models.) My old VCR is very basic
and has no S-Video out port, just the Red/Yellow/White connections.

My computer is an iMac G5; the software part of this equation is not a
problem.

I have a nice Sony home theater system that has all sorts of ports,
including S-Video. I wonder if I could possibly route the video signal from
the VCR through the home theater receiver and then into the camera via the
S-Video port, then into the computer via the firewire port???

Thanks,
Be

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 11/23/06 8:39 PM, in article ,
"BE" wrote:

I just purchased a Panasonic PV-GS500 video camera (miniDV; 3 CCDs; 16:9)
and _assumed_ it would also allow me to do analog transfer of my VHS videos.
I discovered today that it does not have the proper ports. (Panasonic
apparently removed them after last year's models.) My old VCR is very basic
and has no S-Video out port, just the Red/Yellow/White connections.

My computer is an iMac G5; the software part of this equation is not a
problem.

I have a nice Sony home theater system that has all sorts of ports,
including S-Video. I wonder if I could possibly route the video signal from
the VCR through the home theater receiver and then into the camera via the
S-Video port, then into the computer via the firewire port???

Thanks,
Be

I can't help except to wish you Good Luck.

I was a Mac guy since the IICI, but got worn down by the Apple "think
different" ways of things, when I wanted to start converting some old VHS
tapes, etc. last year. When I looked at the Apple way using a Mac, I
decided to buy a PC and do it all my way. The Mac software is good, but it
doesn't allow for importing as a file, or from anything other than a digital
camera.

Don

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

BE wrote:
I just purchased a Panasonic PV-GS500 video camera (miniDV; 3 CCDs; 16:9)
and _assumed_ it would also allow me to do analog transfer of my VHS videos.
I discovered today that it does not have the proper ports. (Panasonic
apparently removed them after last year's models.) My old VCR is very basic
and has no S-Video out port, just the Red/Yellow/White connections.

My computer is an iMac G5; the software part of this equation is not a
problem.

I have a nice Sony home theater system that has all sorts of ports,
including S-Video. I wonder if I could possibly route the video signal from
the VCR through the home theater receiver and then into the camera via the
S-Video port, then into the computer via the firewire port???

Thanks,
Be

Typically you cannot do what you are suggesting. Most home theater
receivers are only switches, they do not have a built in comb filter to
convert composite video to s-video then output to the s-video.

You will have much better results simply buying a dvd recorder or good
video capture card for your PC and use the built in DVD writer.