Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default technics sl1200mk2 turntable stopped turning

Hi folks - once again I turn to the oracular internet for advice for my
woes. The internet, it seems, knows Everything!

I've had a pair of these classic DJ turntables for years. Now,
suddendly and not precurred by any obviously damaging events - the
platter doesn't spin up when I press the start button. The turntable
turns on, everything lights up, but nothing happens when I press the
big button.

Now, I'm techie minded, I'm comfortable with my soldering iron and
multimeter, but I don't really know where to start with troubleshooting
this beast. Can anyone help point me in the right direction with
respect to what might need to be replaced? I *do* have the service
manual, but there aren't troubleshooting instructions in it, and the
most I would know to do is just start checking every resistor -
probably not the most efficient way of doing things...

Any help is greatly apprecieated. Thanks, folks!

Elijah

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Some of the electro-mechanicals on these decks are not as robust as they
would seem, go for switch problem first,
some repair briefs for them on my file
http://www.divdev.fsnet.co.uk/repair3.htm

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Mark D. Zacharias wrote in message
. ..
wrote:
[...]

The 1200's are reliable enough that I've no experience with anything other
than the neon lamp problems, but the first thing I would check would be

the
switch itself - it could be bad or have bad solder connections, and the DC
voltage supply for the motor circuit would be next on the list.

Mark Z.

I suspect the large start/stop pad encourages the use of a fist rather than
a finger.
The illuminator is a nice idea but it wangs up to an abrupt stop jarring any
bulb inside and the wires to it are so close to being guillotined each time.
The combined power on/off with that feeble cam system combined with the
strobe is a bit too gimmicky for its own good.
Love the heavy duty weighty rubber base though, shame about all those fixing
screws.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Bennett Price wrote:
I've no idea about the specifics of this TT, but unless it is direct
drive, (unlikely I think), I'd first make sure the motor is turning
(as opposed to the platter). Has a belt become loose, an idler pulley
disintegrated?

The 1200 MK series is probably the most famous direct-drive type ever.
Mainly used for DJ type work though, not so much for hi-fi.

Mark Z.