Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default 8mm video

Hi again, this forum did so well on identifying the tuner malfunction
on my TV that now I have a question about a Sony 8 mm video PLAYER. I
have an old 8mm player ( player only, no record mode ) that never got
much use, but one day it just started playing tapes in the slow tape
speed and will kind of jump like it's trying to switch to the higher
tape speed. Everything else about it seems to work fine, and when
it's not trying to jump to the next speed the slow motion is nice.
Any manual, electric or optical switch that may be at fault? or what?
I like to use it instead of the camera to watch my tapes...thanks,
dougreed

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
dougreed wrote:
Hi again, this forum did so well on identifying the tuner malfunction
on my TV that now I have a question about a Sony 8 mm video PLAYER. I
have an old 8mm player ( player only, no record mode ) that never got
much use, but one day it just started playing tapes in the slow tape
speed and will kind of jump like it's trying to switch to the higher
tape speed. Everything else about it seems to work fine, and when
it's not trying to jump to the next speed the slow motion is nice.
Any manual, electric or optical switch that may be at fault? or what?
I like to use it instead of the camera to watch my tapes...thanks,
dougreed

First thing I'd look at would be the control track head - this is a fixed
head that reads pulses off the tape. Some types of players use one which
is stacked with the linear audio one. A good clean wouldn't harm.

--
*I wished the buck stopped here, as I could use a few*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.