Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
yourname

Default Sears drill presses

I alway bought cheap sears drill presses, because they seemed to be a
step up from they other chinese crap, just needed to put a new chuck on
them, I used a copy of a Albrecht and have had good luck, other than the
rotary stop they used always was a pos.

Went into Sears last weekend, and they had the drill presses with not
only the good old fashioned threaded stop[think they changed back a few
years ago] but what appears to be a good quality keyless chuck. Now they
are not, nor have been harbor Freight cheap, but with a decent chuck it
is a pretty good deal
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to yourname :

Went into Sears last weekend, and they had the drill presses with not
only the good old fashioned threaded stop[think they changed back a few
years ago] but what appears to be a good quality keyless chuck. Now they
are not, nor have been harbor Freight cheap, but with a decent chuck it
is a pretty good deal

Does it also happen to include the clamp to lock the quill in an
extended position? That's another thing which I have been missing from
the import drill presses. That can even reduce the play in the extended
quill.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Vorwerk

That brought back memories of my Grandfather's old Delta drill press. It had
that clamp. I used to play with it when I was visiting my grandparents 35-40
years ago. My uncle has it now. It and the lathe were in one end of the
kitchen. Talk about a tolerant woman. My Grandfather and Dad put a log end
on the kitchen sink at one house and practiced for a pistol competition with
BB caps.
My Mom was just as tolerant. She let my Dad rebuild Gravely tractors in the
living room of their first house. I used to shoot wax slugs at cockroaches
with my 1851 Colt navy replica. 5 or 10 grains of black powder pushing them.
Then there was the string of silver splashes across the living room ceiling
from sling casting pewter jewelry in the living room.
Thanks
Karl

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
ervers.com...
According to yourname :

Went into Sears last weekend, and they had the drill presses with not
only the good old fashioned threaded stop[think they changed back a few
years ago] but what appears to be a good quality keyless chuck. Now they
are not, nor have been harbor Freight cheap, but with a decent chuck it
is a pretty good deal

Does it also happen to include the clamp to lock the quill in an
extended position? That's another thing which I have been missing from
the import drill presses. That can even reduce the play in the extended
quill.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Karl Vorwerk :
That brought back memories of my Grandfather's old Delta drill press. It had
that clamp.

[ ... ]

I used to shoot wax slugs at cockroaches
with my 1851 Colt navy replica. 5 or 10 grains of black powder pushing them.

Now, you're bringing back memories for me. :-)

In my apartment (left it in 1975) I used to use wax bullets made
cookie-cutter fashion in primer only 22 Jet cartridges. It was the only
way to get the roaches in some places, such as in the corner where two
walls and the ceiling joined. They used to retreat to there and thumb
their antennae at me.

I also used to squirt 1,1,1 Trichlor at them from a hypodermic
when they retired between the bottles of photo chemicals. No way was I
going to risk shooting even a wax bullet there. :-)

Now that I'm living in a private home, I don't see the roaches.
In the apartment, I would get flooded by them when the neighboring
apartments sprayed for bugs. (They never did the whole building in a
single day.)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Vorwerk

I grew up in the Lowcountry of South Carolina. I've used those. They work
pretty well. Combat Roach Gel worked well also.
Karl

"Pete Keillor" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 00:37:17 +0000, (DoN.
Nichols) wrote:

According to Karl Vorwerk :
[...]

On the Texas gulf coast, they are a fact of life. The best I found
for keeping the home free of them was Fumigator by Raid. These were
little tin cans of some dry chemical with insecticide, activated by
dropping in a polypropylene container with about 1/2" of water in
them. I'd set out about 6 of the things on plates, then go back and
drop the tins in the water on a run out the door.

They smoked like the dickens and always charred the label on the tin,
but didn't harm the polypropylene. That's cutting your chemistry
pretty close. However, since they were not powered by some flammable
propellant, I never did hear of somebody blowing up their house or
apartment with them. That happened every now and then with standard
bug bombs.

Pete Keillor

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Karl Vorwerk wrote:
I used to shoot wax slugs at cockroaches
with my 1851 Colt navy replica. 5 or 10 grains of black powder pushing them.

Karl
I have a semi-junk C&B pistol like this, never shot it, nor would I
try to with regular loads. But the wax bullets sound interesting. Can
you give me some detail?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Vorwerk

Simple really. Mine was 44. cal so I punched wax slugs out of one of those
paraffin slabs you get by the pound, for canning, at the grocery store. I
used a 45. cal cartridge as the punch. Drill out the primer cup so you can
push the slug out with a nail or dowel. To load put a small measure of
powder in the chamber and push the wax slug in on top after it.set the slug
with the ram. Then primers on the nipples and have fun. I adjusted the
powder charge to have enough impact. So start light and work your way up. If
you haven't shot a cap and ball before. Before loading the gun for the first
time I always used to fire caps on empty chambers to make sure the nipples
were clear of oil.
I got the idea from and article on using wax slugs in revolvers for indoor
shooting. They drilled out the primer pocket so it would hold a shotgun
primer. The primer was the only propellant in that case.
Karl

"Rex B" wrote in message

Karl Vorwerk wrote:
I used to shoot wax slugs at cockroaches
with my 1851 Colt navy replica. 5 or 10 grains of black powder pushing

them.

Karl
I have a semi-junk C&B pistol like this, never shot it, nor would I
try to with regular loads. But the wax bullets sound interesting. Can
you give me some detail?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Rex B "":

Karl Vorwerk wrote:
I used to shoot wax slugs at cockroaches
with my 1851 Colt navy replica. 5 or 10 grains of black powder pushing them.

Karl
I have a semi-junk C&B pistol like this, never shot it, nor would I
try to with regular loads. But the wax bullets sound interesting. Can
you give me some detail?

Well ... my use was with a S&W 22 Jet cartridge -- 357 magnum
necked down to .22 cal. I melted the wax in a flat-bottomed tray, and
let it harden. I then used empty cases (small pistol magnum primers, no
powder) as cookie cutters. The wax slugs would remain in the cartridge
cases, and the primer was enough to usually punch through a single layer
of corrugated cardboard, but not through two.

Obviously, with a Cap and Ball relolver, you would need to do
things a bit differently -- but another followup has already described
that.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564