Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ian Timshel

Default snake hook material

Hi all.
I need to make three snake hooks. I have the lengths figured out and the
shape of the hook end. I'm using golf club handles for the shafts.

The hook material at the business end I'd like to be light but strong. Is
there a particular aluminium alloy that might suit this application?
Some of the commercial hooks appear to have an alloy.

Here are some commercial examples.

This one suggests it's made of "aircraft aluminum".
http://www.bugspray.com/pictures/products/chook.jpg

Replaceable heads.
http://www.reptileworldzoo.com/images/snakehook2.jpg

Thanks - Ian

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Ian Timshel" wrote in message
news
Hi all.
I need to make three snake hooks. I have the lengths figured out and the
shape of the hook end. I'm using golf club handles for the shafts.

The hook material at the business end I'd like to be light but strong. Is
there a particular aluminium alloy that might suit this application?
Some of the commercial hooks appear to have an alloy.

The hook needs to have some spring in it if you wish to keep your specimens
unharmed.

I made the one we use about weekly from a single-ended "lively lad". I
shortened the blade, then just ground off the teeth, and narrowed the blade
until it had the right amount of flex. Total cost was about $12.00.

The 'weekly' visits are usually black snakes and rat snakes. I don't fear
them, but the black snakes are too fast to catch by hand.

(Caught two mocassins, one coral snake, and one massagua in the last two
months... all on the front porch)

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 17:43:11 GMT, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

The 'weekly' visits are usually black snakes and rat snakes. I don't fear
them, but the black snakes are too fast to catch by hand.
(Caught two mocassins, one coral snake, and one massagua in the last two
months... all on the front porch)

You know, at times like this, living in Wisconsin's cold climate doesn't
seem all that bad afterall. The most annoying yard visitor _I_ get is
gophers, and they're easily enough dispatched.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ian Timshel

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 17:43:11 +0000, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

The hook needs to have some spring in it if you wish to keep your
specimens unharmed.

I made the one we use about weekly from a single-ended "lively lad". I
shortened the blade, then just ground off the teeth, and narrowed the
blade until it had the right amount of flex. Total cost was about
$12.00.

The 'weekly' visits are usually black snakes and rat snakes. I don't
fear them, but the black snakes are too fast to catch by hand.

(Caught two mocassins, one coral snake, and one massagua in the last two
months... all on the front porch)

LLoyd

===========

LLoyd, thanks for the reality check! ehh What the hay is a "lively lad?"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Ian Timshel" wrote in message
news
:
LLoyd, thanks for the reality check! ehh What the hay is a "lively lad?"

It's the ancient manual version of a "weed whacker". They have two
versions: One has two supports with a toothed blade hung between. The
other is shaped much like a golf iron with a single, hooked blade support,
and a flexible spring-steel blade extending "single-ended" from the hook.
You trim the weeds with a golf swing, and must be a "lively lad" to get much
work done!

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ian Timshel

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 12:31:19 +0000, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

"Ian Timshel" wrote in message
news
:
LLoyd, thanks for the reality check! ehh What the hay is a "lively lad?"

It's the ancient manual version of a "weed whacker". They have two
versions: One has two supports with a toothed blade hung between. The
other is shaped much like a golf iron with a single, hooked blade support,
and a flexible spring-steel blade extending "single-ended" from the hook.
You trim the weeds with a golf swing, and must be a "lively lad" to get much
work done!

LLoyd
=========

We had one years ago. Never knew the name until now. g
Cheers!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ian Timshel

A third of the way down this post are the details of my first attempt.
Thanks for the feed back guys.
Ian

http://remontoire.livejournal.com/65115.html#cutid1