Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Seamus

Default Harrison lathe Milling arbor

Hi there,
Could anybody please help me figure out what kind
of arbor I need to perform horizontal milling operations in my Harrison
L5
lathe? I have boring table, vertical slide, dividing head etc, but I
have
no arbor for mounting the cutter tooling. I've only recently got the
table and v.slide
and I have no experience with milling at all, but I want to at least
have the capability
to some extent with my lathe. Can anybody help with what type, length
etc etc
and where such an arbor can be got?
Thanks very much,

Seamus

Ireland.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Seamus wrote:
Hi there,
Could anybody please help me figure out what kind
of arbor I need to perform horizontal milling operations in my Harrison
L5
lathe? I have boring table, vertical slide, dividing head etc, but I
have
no arbor for mounting the cutter tooling. I've only recently got the
table and v.slide
and I have no experience with milling at all, but I want to at least
have the capability
to some extent with my lathe. Can anybody help with what type, length
etc etc
and where such an arbor can be got?

You need a mill holder with a drawbar to fit your spindle taper, and a
drawbar to suit.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

CHeers, but I'm still a bit confused, maybe it's my lack of familiarity
with the terminology,
but the tailstock is M3 and the headstock nose is threaded.
Is the millholder not the same as the drawbar?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DOC

You might want to get yourself a setup that can handle regular collets. It
would also let you turn stock holding it in various sized collets.

I don't recall the swing on an L5 but 4C or 5C collets should work.

There are a number of possible set ups. The least expensive,
but still not cheap, is to use collets, a collar and a draw bar.

To clarify a little more, the milling cutter fits into the collet. The
collet fits into the collar. The collar fits into the spindle. And the draw
bar tightens everything by pulling from the other end of the spindle.

DOC

wrote in message
oups.com...
CHeers, but I'm still a bit confused, maybe it's my lack of familiarity
with the terminology,
but the tailstock is M3 and the headstock nose is threaded.
Is the millholder not the same as the drawbar?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brent Philion

I'm in the middle of doing the exact same thing as you in canada.

there should be a headstock taper as well like Mt3 or Mt4

there are end mill holders with the right taper to be purchased (Bought
one yesterday)

you buy an end mill holder then fabricate a drawbar

the drawbar exerts force to hold the end mill holder in place in the
headstock

I'm now trying to figure out how to fabricate an effective drawbar for
the end mill holder i have