Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dana

Default Lap top full of roaches.

I just got a lap top full of cock roaches. What is the best way to get
theese damn things out of here? I have it out on the front porch. I don't
want to get them started in the house.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John T

"Dana" wrote in message
.com...
I just got a lap top full of cock roaches. What is the best way to get
theese damn things out of here? I have it out on the front porch. I don't
want to get them started in the house.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jerry G.

I hope the porch is far from the house. These things travel very well!

You will have to take the computer completely apart and wash everything
down with isopropal alcohal. The cleaning must be thorough to make sure
there are no eggs, or extrament hidden.

Make sure every piece has been cleaned. The case and mechanical parts
can be cleaned with soap, and water.

After properly drying all the boards, assemble everything back and
test.

All the pieces must be properly dried before applying back the power.

Jerry G.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave D

"John T" wrote in message
u...

"Dana" wrote in message
.com...
I just got a lap top full of cock roaches. What is the best way to get
theese damn things out of here? I have it out on the front porch. I don't
want to get them started in the house.

Surely no-one is sad enough to report this as abuse.

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
CRaSH

Dave D wrote:

Surely no-one is sad enough to report this as abuse.

Geez, doesn't everybody feel safer with Cyber Cop on duty?
Get a life JT!

I had a customer leave a CB radio that hadn't been used for years, just
wanted it checked & tweeked, that was literally packed to the gills with
roaches! About the time I cracked the case a couple made a break across the
work bench, and I slammed it shut, took it out in the parking lot with a can
of bug spray. How they even survived in there is a mystery! Got it under
control well enough to check/tune it up, then sealed it in a plastic bag.
Advised the guy to thoughly spray where ever he had the thing in
storage...........

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jumpster Jiver

Dana wrote:
I just got a lap top full of cock roaches. What is the best way to get
theese damn things out of here? I have it out on the front porch. I
don't want to get them started in the house.

I once got a TV, and somehow missed the smell before opening it. Killed
the few that ran, and got it out to the backyard.
High pressure wash with a garden hose for twenty minutes, then let it
dry outdoors in private yard for a few days. Called customer and said
not worth repair... they said toss it, and it ended up in the trash.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Hugh Prescott

Dana wrote:
I just got a lap top full of cock roaches. What is the best way to get
theese damn things out of here? I have it out on the front porch. I
don't want to get them started in the house.

Disassemble it as much as you can then spray with roach killer.

Probably want to leave some of it in there. Put it in a sealed plastic
bag and bring it in to a heated room so that the roaches will snack on
the roach killer.

As it will be full of roach eggs I would leave it for one or tow
incubation cycles to kill the new hatchlings.

I do service for small retail networked computer systems. One of my
clients is a pawn shop. Every TV, VCR, computer etc gets a spray of
foaming roach killer in it when received right on the counter before it
goes into the storage area.

It must work as I have never found a roach in any of the computer
equipment I service there.

Find dead ones in used computers that I repair and or reload the OS on
before they resale them.

Hugh
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Hugh Prescott wrote:
Dana wrote:

[...]

Yuck, this thread makes me thankful I live in an area that for some
reason is devoid of roaches.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

"Hugh Prescott" wrote in message
Dana wrote:
[...]

Heh. I can do one better.

We sold a PSU to a customer, and within a week, he brought the unit
in because it went "POP" on him.

We checked the computer out, cleaning out the roach sign in the
bottom.

We replaced the PSU, and the new one worked just fine.

At the price of these (we bought a bunch at 15USD each, due to the
quantity), we just opened up the one (hell, it's more than 15USD worth of
time to get the damn RMA, much less shipping/ handling on one!). A roach
had stood up under the input filter, and blown the fuse as it fried B)

RwP

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
buffalobill

read all about them at:
http://www.nysipm.cornell.edu/publications/roach/
and call a local exterminator they WILL take over your house!!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
distar97

Roaches are worse than radioactivity. My old shop had a strict no-roach
policy, meaning no customer would dare bring in an infested machine. If
an infected machine slipped past initial front counter evaluation and
intake, it was immediately put out in the street and the customer was
permanently banned. Don't think the customers are the innocents here,
they are always fully aware of their roach problem. Everybody knew our
rules.

The risk to your business is simply too great to treat this issue
lightly.
DH

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 05:02:56 GMT James Sweet
wrote in Message id: 4yLqf.82215$fY5.34287@trnddc02:

Yuck, this thread makes me thankful I live in an area that for some
reason is devoid of roaches.

I had no idea that there WAS such a place!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

JW wrote:
On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 05:02:56 GMT James Sweet
wrote in Message id: 4yLqf.82215$fY5.34287@trnddc02:

Yuck, this thread makes me thankful I live in an area that for some
reason is devoid of roaches.

I had no idea that there WAS such a place!

Here in the Seattle area I've never seen a roach, only time I saw one in
person was years ago in Hawaii.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Douglas

Dana wrote:
I just got a lap top full of cock roaches. What is the best way to get
theese damn things out of here? I have it out on the front porch. I
don't want to get them started in the house.

Nothing compares to a larger unix box with mices, got called when the
system shutdown, found a nest with babies, but the mom had chewed where
she should not have, way long ago before decent computer
rooms............Also found a 3" chicken bone in a keyboard of a large
woman, now that's disgusting!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
distar97

Default Lap top full of roaches. "Bug"

This thread reminds me of an interesting historical footnote in
computer history. I recall learning that the word 'bug' as in 'this
computer is buggy' goes back to one of those early room size computers,
(at Harvard, I believe). In that case, it was fully documented that an
actual moth got stuck in a relay. But the word bug seems to go back to
the days of Edison to describe minor, fixable flaws.

Dennis H.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Urz

Dana wrote:
I just got a lap top full of cock roaches. What is the best way to get
theese damn things out of here? I have it out on the front porch. I
don't want to get them started in the house.

Add a hard disk to it in a "Raid" array.
Or you could always leave it at Joe's apartment.......

Bob

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 19:23:55 GMT, James Sweet
put finger to keyboard and composed:

JW wrote:
On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 05:02:56 GMT James Sweet
wrote in Message id: 4yLqf.82215$fY5.34287@trnddc02:

Yuck, this thread makes me thankful I live in an area that for some
reason is devoid of roaches.

I had no idea that there WAS such a place!

Here in the Seattle area I've never seen a roach, ...

If you ever discover what it is about Seattle that keeps them away,
stuff it in a spray can and you can hang up your iron.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ken G.

Wrap it in a plastic bag and put it in the garbage can .

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dana

All i got there was a message full of headers. What was your point?

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005, John T wrote:

"Dana" wrote in message
.com...
I just got a lap top full of cock roaches. What is the best way to get
theese damn things out of here? I have it out on the front porch. I don't
want to get them started in the house.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dana

O.k. I thought so. I will get someone to help me with that. The computer
works great. I thought someone on the group might have run into this
problem before.

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005, Jerry G. wrote:

I hope the porch is far from the house. These things travel very well!

You will have to take the computer completely apart and wash everything
down with isopropal alcohal. The cleaning must be thorough to make sure
there are no eggs, or extrament hidden.

Make sure every piece has been cleaned. The case and mechanical parts
can be cleaned with soap, and water.

After properly drying all the boards, assemble everything back and
test.

All the pieces must be properly dried before applying back the power.

Jerry G.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dana

That is what I was thinking. I know someone on this news group has run
into this problem before. Maybe not in a lap top, but some other
electronic equipment they were trying to restore.

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005, Dave D wrote:

"John T" wrote in message
u...

"Dana" wrote in message
.com...
I just got a lap top full of cock roaches. What is the best way to get
theese damn things out of here? I have it out on the front porch. I don't
want to get them started in the house.

Surely no-one is sad enough to report this as abuse.

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dana

Well, the computer works just fine. I am a blind person, and could feel
those nasty things crawling around all over the place, LOL. Think I am
making some headway though. Thanks to all who responded. Anyone in here
located in Georgia? Just curious.

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005, Jumpster Jiver wrote:

Dana wrote:
I just got a lap top full of cock roaches. What is the best way to get
theese damn things out of here? I have it out on the front porch. I don't
want to get them started in the house.

I once got a TV, and somehow missed the smell before opening it. Killed the
few that ran, and got it out to the backyard.
High pressure wash with a garden hose for twenty minutes, then let it dry
outdoors in private yard for a few days. Called customer and said not worth
repair... they said toss it, and it ended up in the trash.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dana

What brand of foaming roach killer do you'all use? I have a friend that is
going to come over here and see if they can help me get theese out of
here.

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005, James Sweet wrote:

Hugh Prescott wrote:
Dana wrote:

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dana

I already have a local exterminator, thank goodness. I will go and read at
that web site if my screen reader will read it.

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005, buffalobill wrote:

read all about them at:
http://www.nysipm.cornell.edu/publications/roach/
and call a local exterminator they WILL take over your house!!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 08:32:42 -0500 Dana wrote in Message
id: m:

Well, that sounds like a good idea also. Thanks.

You might also try heating the thing to 150F. for an hour or so. Make sure
you allow it to cool before powering it up.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dana

Oh, No!! Mice!! I can't stand those either. I had 1 or 2 in this house,
and my neighbor set traps and we caught 2 in 1 night

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005, James Douglas wrote:

Dana wrote:
I just got a lap top full of cock roaches. What is the best way to get
theese damn things out of here? I have it out on the front porch. I don't
want to get them started in the house.

Nothing compares to a larger unix box with mices, got called when the system
shutdown, found a nest with babies, but the mom had chewed where she should
not have, way long ago before decent computer rooms............Also found a
3" chicken bone in a keyboard of a large
woman, now that's disgusting!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dana

I like that now, verry funny!! never thought of that, LOL.

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005, Bob Urz wrote:

Dana wrote:
I just got a lap top full of cock roaches. What is the best way to get
theese damn things out of here? I have it out on the front porch. I don't
want to get them started in the house.

Add a hard disk to it in a "Raid" array.
Or you could always leave it at Joe's apartment.......

Bob

News==----
Newsgroups

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dana

That sounds like a winner. No, I think I finally got most of them out.
Just letting it sit out on the front porch a couple of more days. I will
keep you'all posted. Thanks for all the info.