Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair

Default Safety regarding USB devices

hi,

I was using my desktop computer the other day. I had my digital memory
card reader connected to my PC via its USB port.

First I downloaded some digital camera pictures through the reader.
Then I just went on to do other stuff with PC without turning the
reader off. After I done checking my e-mails etc, I remembered the
reader was still on, so I reached out to turn the power off. As soon
as my hand touched the metal case of the reader, I got a mild electric
shock, and my pc and reader's power tripped off as well. At the
time, I was really surprised and worried my pc and reader might get
fried. Fortunately they are ok.

My pc sits on the carpeted floor. The reader has a metal case and was
rested on a plastic box near my computer. I'm still puzzled how this
happened. How do I prevent it from happening again in the future?

thanks

Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
Dave Cohen

You can buy special mats, not sure what they call them, anti-static
something or other perhaps. Anyway, check the larger office stores then read
the item's recommendations. What probably happened is your body got charged
up until you touched the grounded piece of equipment which allowed the
discharge. Repair technicians put on a special wrist strap which is then
grounded to the frame when handling memory, chips etc. (at least they should
do that!).
Dave Cohen
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
Jumpster Jiver

wrote:
[...]

Static Electricity is generated in many ways. It can be from walking on
that carpet, rubbing your pants against the chair, the chair against the
floor, etc., etc.

You're really lucky you didn't damage your computer or your USB device.
To help prevent this from happening in the futu
First make sure your computer equipment is powered from a properly
grounded outlet, and the case is grounded.
Then, before you touch any plug, jack, button, switch, etc. touch your
computer's metal case in an area AWAY FROM any jack, switch, etc.

Ideally any exposed metal should be grounded but if there's a broken
ground you could fry your computer.

While you're sitting at the computer, make it a habit to touch your
computer's case every five or ten minutes, because as you move a charge
can build up on you.

My method is having a metal plate near my keyboard which is securely
connected to the case, so I don't have to reach down to the tower

Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
pjp

Carpeted floor and slippers etc. with rubber soles does it for me, good zap
touching anything grounded., especially in winter when airs drier and wood
stoves cooking. I have my workstation resting on old metal highway signs
(back shiny side up) "scrounged" off roadside(s). Never have had problem
since.

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
The Stovalls

Our church had a similar problem with static buildup, & after some research,
I started spraying the floors once a week with a solution of fabric softener
& 1/2 cup of vinegar in a pump type garden sprayer. Put enough fabric
softener to cover the vinegar smell & keep well agitated during spraying.
After 2 months of regular spraying, the static problem just disappeared
completely! Hope this helps!!!!

Brian

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
RobG

wrote

How do I prevent it from happening again in the future?

thanks

Don't power-up the system?

Just my initial thought...

RobG
Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
N Cook

wrote in message
[...]

I am surprised so few people know of this tip for where they regularly get
static electricity shocks
from walking across carpets.
Have a key or coin between the fingers and touch the locker or whatever with
that first and it distributes the current so although you may see the
discharge you don't feel anything.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
Tim Smith

In article , "N Cook"
wrote:
I am surprised so few people know of this tip for where they regularly get
static electricity shocks
from walking across carpets.
Have a key or coin between the fingers and touch the locker or whatever with
that first and it distributes the current so although you may see the
discharge you don't feel anything.

More specifically, I believe that the reason this works is that it is
not actually the flow of current through your finger that hurts when you
experience a static shock, but rather the arc itself that hurts you.

So, by making the arc attach to the key instead of to your finger, you
don't feel the pain.

--
--Tim Smith

Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

The Stovalls wrote:
Our church had a similar problem with static buildup, & after some research,
I started spraying the floors once a week with a solution of fabric softener
& 1/2 cup of vinegar in a pump type garden sprayer. Put enough fabric
softener to cover the vinegar smell & keep well agitated during spraying.
After 2 months of regular spraying, the static problem just disappeared
completely! Hope this helps!!!!

We have a bottle of anti-static spray in the lab at work which is pretty
effective, but you've gotta do it at the end of the day because it reeks
like all sorts of nasty solvents, I think I like the vinegar and fabric
softener idea better but I'd be concerned about corrosion.
Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
Ron Hunter

James Sweet wrote:
The Stovalls wrote:
Our church had a similar problem with static buildup, & after some
research, I started spraying the floors once a week with a solution of
fabric softener & 1/2 cup of vinegar in a pump type garden sprayer.
Put enough fabric softener to cover the vinegar smell & keep well
agitated during spraying. After 2 months of regular spraying, the
static problem just disappeared completely! Hope this helps!!!!

We have a bottle of anti-static spray in the lab at work which is pretty
effective, but you've gotta do it at the end of the day because it reeks
like all sorts of nasty solvents, I think I like the vinegar and fabric
softener idea better but I'd be concerned about corrosion.

Most carpet cleaning companies will anti-static treat your carpets. I
recommend this if you live in a dry climate, or one in the northern tier
of states/countries where heating during the winter drives down the
humidity inside.
Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
distar97

The key and coin trick work well but its more fun to use a small
fluorescent tube.