Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave

Default Arkansas Stone

So what is the typical stone and hone collection here and why do you
reach for one rather than the other?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Dave" wrote in message
ups.com...
So what is the typical stone and hone collection here and why do you
reach for one rather than the other?

Arkansas soft for roughing-out carbon steel knives and chisels. Arkansas
hard for final sharpening of chisels and carbon knives, and touching up
edges on cutters and drills.

Diamond 'lap' hone for SS knives and agressive material removal on soft
metals.

Porcelain lap for honing woodworking chisels.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Damn, I hate Roadrunner!
LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Boris Beizer

"Dave" wrote
So what is the typical stone and hone collection here and why do you
reach for one rather than the other?

Old carborundom stones for real junk -- e.g., axes, kitchen knives, etc.
Old oil stone for ditto but honing.

Soft (brown), medium (black), white (hard) Arkansas stones in various
configurations (slip, cone, flat, wedge, cylinder) + regular 2x8" for honing
metal cutting tools.

Japanese water stones:: `1500, 3000, 6000 for woodworking tools.

Water stones are generally better than Arkansas in terms of creating a great
edge, but are frankly a pain to prepare and use. Makes a whole production
out of sharpening. Makes a real difference for woodworking tools (e.g.,
chisels, plane blades, carving knives) where ultra-sharp is appreciated ...
in fact, essential.
The Arkansas are what I use most. Near the work bench. Works great on
engraving gravers, tiny chisels, dental picks, and getting the last n'th out
of lathe bits. I find that the Arkansas stones work really well with spit.

Boris

--

-------------------------------------
Boris Beizer Ph.D. Seminars and Consulting

TEL: 215-572-5580
FAX: 215-886-0144
Email bsquare "at" earthlink.net

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ted Edwards

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Damn, I hate Roadrunner!

Is it Roadrunner or Outlaw Exploder? I suspect the later.

Ted
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Ted Edwards" wrote in message
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Damn, I hate Roadrunner!

Is it Roadrunner or Outlaw Exploder? I suspect the later.

RR.... my news feed works fine on Earthlink, but we have RR at the office.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Scary Sharp". DAGS for "Scary Sharp", but here's a starter page:
http://woodbutcher.net/scary.htm

Basically you use sandpaper to do your sharpening. Very inexpensive and
effective. With the right sharpening jig, it's not a problem to sharpen
knives, etc...

I have a couple of stones and some leather strops made from old belts
that get used on occasion, but if I want to do a good job sharpening
something, it's Scary Sharpened.

Now that I think of it, sometimes I'll use a belt sander, grinder or
Foredom tool to rough out an edge on a new knife, too.

~Jeff P.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On 21 Nov 2005 15:10:36 -0800, wrote:

"Scary Sharp". DAGS for "Scary Sharp", but here's a starter page:
http://woodbutcher.net/scary.htm

Basically you use sandpaper to do your sharpening. Very inexpensive and
effective. With the right sharpening jig, it's not a problem to sharpen
knives, etc...

I have a couple of stones and some leather strops made from old belts
that get used on occasion, but if I want to do a good job sharpening
something, it's Scary Sharpened.

Now that I think of it, sometimes I'll use a belt sander, grinder or
Foredom tool to rough out an edge on a new knife, too.

~Jeff P.

Still got that 6x48 belt/12" disk sander waiting for you to come back
up.

Gunner

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if
nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace
personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed,
the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of
defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see
police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line
of defense." --Walter Williams
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Lyon

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Damn, I hate Roadrunner!

Is it Roadrunner or Outlaw Exploder? I suspect the later.

Ted

I thought it was outhouse express.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave

Boris Beizer wrote:
"Dave" wrote
[...]

How do you keep stones flat?. Also where does lapping with grinding
compound fit into the overall picture?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Surface grinder.
Lapping machine.
Lots of care and not deep pressure grinding.
Keep clean - prevent buildup.
Use Kerosene to clean - water and soap might destroy the binder in the stone if artificial.

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Dave wrote:
Boris Beizer wrote:

"Dave" wrote

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dave wrote:
So what is the typical stone and hone collection here and why do you
reach for one rather than the other?

What are you sharpening? I use a belt grinder for heavy shaping and
gouge and chip removal, e.g. lawn mower blades. Files for axes and the
like. Diamond hones for kitchen knives and casual edge shapening. The
diamond hones are Eze-Lap plates, solid steel backing, they stay flat.
I use india slips for woodworking chisels and gouges, sharpening wood
augers and the like. For plane blades, I use the extra fine diamond
hone if it's dull, then switch to a black Arkansas for final edge. For
gunsmithing, I''ve got a collection of Arkansas and black Arkansas slip
stones, along with some ceramic stones. These last are quite expensive
now.

I've never had a problem with keeping stones flat, you just have to
know how to use them.

Diamonds cut very fast. Black Arkansas leave a nice finish but aren't
as fast for metal removal. The others are somewhere in-between. India
slips can be had in a wide variety of shapes, good for odd blade shapes
on carving tools. What I use depends on how much material has to be
removed and what the final use is for the edge or surface.

Stan