Jim & Lil

Default Fortress mailboxes

If some vandal hits your mailbox, dies, and you lose thousands in
court, you are not a winner in the situation. If an unfortunate driver
dies, there would be a moral guilt element in addition to the court
judgment.

You have me feeling guilty now. I live on a corner acerage. I had a 2 ft
high wooden retaining wall that motorists had lost control on the corner and
piled into my wall...the result was me fixing the cedar clad railroad ties
that was used to make up the structure of the wall.
I had a young fellow slide through the intersection last
fall and wrote off his dad's BMW. The kid was okay.....my retaining wall was
toast due to the combination of hits and rotting wood from natural decay.
Local building codes in my area forbid the use of railroad ties for
residential construction now nfor enviromental reasons......so this summer I
had a concrete worker come in and pull the railroad tie retaining wall....he
poured twenty two 12 ft deep piles and then poured a heavy cement wall 180
feet long (lots of rebar)and also I had a brick guy put up 4 ft brick fence
posts and I welded in a wrought iron fence in between the posts....
I get lots of comments from the neighbours on how beautiful it
looks and I took a lot of pride in building it....It is very impressive to
look at and I LOVE the looks it gives our yard
I never thought of killing someone when I built it... ....so if
someone slides through the same intersection and nails my newly constructed
project and kills himself/herself....should I feel bad? Jim

Jim Stewart

Jim & Lil wrote:
[...]

Bad? - yes
Guilty? - no

Jim & Lil

Can you address this problem as something that can be solved? Is it
possible, for example, that you would plant some small cute trees that
would help stop a car, etc.

I hadn't thought this was a bad thing until I read this original
posting... I have what I have on my acerage to make me feel good when I came
home......a feeling of designing satisfaction..

What I hadn't put into my formula ......are idiots....I think this should
be covered by your local mayor or whatever.....as I am in no position to
control any Ditch in my area....I am required to mow it but have no
control...the lot looks totally relaxing and secure

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
Jim & Lil wrote:

snip----

I never thought of killing someone when I built it... ....so

if
someone slides through the same intersection and nails my newly

constructed
project and kills himself/herself....should I feel bad? Jim

Bad? - yes
Guilty? - no

I agree.

Harold

jim rozen

In article , Jim & Lil says...

I never thought of killing someone when I built it... ....so if
someone slides through the same intersection and nails my newly constructed
project and kills himself/herself....should I feel bad? Jim

Consider that if somebody can't keep their car on the road, there's
all *kinds* of stuff to slam into. You would need to go out and tie
matresses around all the phone poles, armco railings, bridge abutments,
signposts, etc, in the road around your area.

How come nobody sues con ed when they slam into a power pole?

Quite the opposite. Con Ed sends them a *bill*.

Jim

please reply to:

IBM5081

The welded wrought iron will likely take the hit and require
replacement.
Take pictures of the wrought iron fencing now as well as measurements.
Get replacement cost estimates as well.

What signage is in place on the adjacent roads to warn motorists?
If the roadway has insufficient signage, the city could be liable as
well.
Accident records should support the call for additional signage.