jim rozen

Default Worked a bit on wiring for my phase converter

In article , Ignoramus20106 says...

I have not yet enclosed input wires into a flexible conduit.

My suggestion would be to learn about "liquid tite" flexible
conduit. I use this for all wiring on machines where the
standard S cord does not work well.

Another point that nobody has mentioned yet - you have a large
number of tie points and wiring devices that are installed
directly on particle board.

In most cases wiring is installed in steel enclosures (boxes,
panelboards, etc) because the steel is non-flammable and can
resist fire and arcing for a fairly long time before it
heats up enough to ignite whatever it is mounted on.

For example, a fire marshal will frown upon an installation
where the box *cover* has been omitted or removed because
any arcing inside the box can then easily ignite surrounding
flammables.

When improving and upgrading your phase converter (as we all
know these are ongoing projects) you might want to begin putting
all the wiring and components inside proper enclosures. It
would be a great deal more fire-resistant if anything went
wrong.

Jim

please reply to:
rigger

Hi i,
I didn't see any overload equipment listed on your "buy" list but did
see this drawn on the metalwebnews site. Even though I'm no
electrician please tell me you do have an overload installed, I'll
sleep better.
dennis in nca

jim rozen

In article , Ignoramus6208 says...

When improving and upgrading your phase converter (as we all
know these are ongoing projects) you might want to begin putting
all the wiring and components inside proper enclosures. It
would be a great deal more fire-resistant if anything went
wrong.

Thanks. I am looking very hard for a decent welder at a great price,
so far I am not finding anything, but when I find one, I may well redo
the enclosure.

Don't bother - commercial steel electrical enclosures are
amazingly cheap. They're build in mass quantities.
Take a trip to a local electrical supply house.

Jim

please reply to:
Pete Keillor

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 00:17:46 GMT, Ignoramus19023
wrote:

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 20:15:07 -0400, Ned Simmons wrote:
In article -
maine.net, says...
In article ,
lid says...
On 5 Aug 2005 06:34:37 -0700, jim rozen wrote:

Don't bother - commercial steel electrical enclosures are
amazingly cheap. They're build in mass quantities.
Take a trip to a local electrical supply house.

Thank you. What are these enclosures like. To be honest, I do not have
a mental picture of what you are talking about.

This page has a pretty good selection of what's available
for NEMA 1 boxes. NEMA 1 means the box provides mechanical
protection but no protection from dust, liquids, corrosive
atmospheres, etc. Other NEMA classifications will cover
these hazards, at more cost, of course.

Oops, forgot the link...
http://www.hammfg.com/pages/com_encls/index.htm

Ned Simmons

A-ha, I got it. Thank you.

What's really neat about lots of enclosures is the back plate. This
is a flat plate in small sizes, flat plate with stiffeners in larger
sizes, mounted on studs welded inside the enclosure. You do most of
your layout, mounting, and wiring of heavier components on the back
plate on the bench, punch the holes in the door for your control
components (see the Greenlee thread), then mount the back plate, mount
your control stuff (switches and lights) on the door, then wire it up.
Be sure to include a good loop of wire at the hinge to allow easy
closure without binding the wire or its strain reliefs.

This is where it pays to design the complete box including wiring
before you start punching holes. I usually have the box built to my
design with all holes already burned in. Of course, I'm a chemist and
controls guy, so I have an EE look at it before I order the box.

I've used a similar process (on a far smaller scale) at home, except
I'll re-use stuff instead of buying everything new.

Pete Keillor
Martin H. Eastburn

wrote:

[...]

Ive got 4 brand new NEMA boxes, about 10" deep, by about 13" wide, by
about 18" long. I check this weekend on actual dimensions.

Need one?

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends
of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli

Depending on the size of a 3-phase motor I'll need to convert with maybe I can
get one if there is a spare.

Do you know the total HP - is there one or more motors ?

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life