Backlash

Default Local metalworking progress

Maybe the outlook won't be so bleak in metalworking careers for our local
young people here now. I even had a young waitress ask me how to get into
CNC machining right before this article came out. Since she was interested,
I am surely going to take her some trade magazines to pique her interest
further.

http://www.kinston.com/SiteProcessor...&Section=Local

RJ

Proctologically Violated©®

Proly some positive fallout from American Chopper, Monster Garage, etc.
Until it dawns on people what a *real* work environment is like...
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Backlash" wrote in message
Maybe the outlook won't be so bleak in metalworking careers for our local
young people here now. I even had a young waitress ask me how to get into
CNC machining right before this article came out. Since she was
interested, I am surely going to take her some trade magazines to pique
her interest further.

http://www.kinston.com/SiteProcessor...&Section=Local

RJ

Anthony

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in
news
Proly some positive fallout from American Chopper, Monster Garage,
etc. Until it dawns on people what a *real* work environment is
like... ----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Myself and another guy about my age happened upon a conversation about
work the other day. Seems one of the anodizer operators (~22 yr old) was
complaining that he his job was too hard, he had to work too much. Now
his job consists of occasionally unhanging an automated machine, checking
acid temps, concentration, and doing some quality checks on the parts.
Occasionally he has to wet down the masks (spraying them with a spray
bottle of water). And he makes GOOD money doing this, excellent bennies,
etc.
The other fellow and myself were discussing how this guy has NO_CLUE what
_REAL_ work is.
Myself, I grew up on a farm, I *know* what a hard days' work is. My
first real job was with a 'landscaping' outfit, we had 4 backhoes, 4
high-lifts, 12 dump trucks, and the yard crew vehicles. We cleared lots,
dug basements, footers, installed septic systems, and leveled, raked and
seeded yards. I don't think I had an 'easy' day there in the two years i
worked for them, and made a whopping $4.50/hr. When you shovel 2" crushed
limestone all day, 6 days a week, or are on the handle end of an 18lb
rock rake for weeks at a time in the 100° heat, you learn to appreciate a
non-physical, indoor job.
This other fellow, he was raised by his granddad. When he was a teen, his
grandpappy (as he called him) asked him whether he was going to college,
or going to work.....he decided school initially, so he went to the local
community college for two semesters.
Decided he had enough school, he wanted to work. So, his grandpappy gets
him up at 4 the next morning, and takes him to one of the local furniture
factories where he had a lot of friends. They put his ass to work at 5
am, feeding lumber. 5 pm he's done for the day....grandpappy is there to
pick him up. Of course, he is worn slap-assed out as his friends at the
plant made _damn_ sure they worked the poor boy's ass off ALL day.
(Course....he didn't know this at the time, it was all arrainged by
grandpappy).
This goes on for about a week, and he finally says something to his
gradpappy about not liking the furniture factory. So, grandpappy has
another job for him on Monday. Helping his uncle in the construction
business (Pouring concrete, to be precise). So, 6 am Monday morning,
Uncle shows up to pick him up. They get to the job site about 7, there is
already a truck waiting. His new job: Wheelborrowing concrete.
They were pouring a 300'x200' commercial building floor. He said, he had
to haul that concrete as fast as he could, and about 10 am he asked his
Uncle when break time was. His uncle replied "Break?....Boy, we are
pouring concrete, we take a break when this floor is poured and
finished." Said he got a bologna sandwich and bag of chips for
lunch...and had to eat them while he was waiting on one truck to pull out
and the other to back in.
He said it was about 10 pm when they got back home, and he almost
couldn't get out of the truck he was so tired.
He said he tried to not let his grandpappy know he was that dogged tired,
but he didn't much more than make it out of the shower until he was dead
asleep. This told on him, as he usually stayed up until 2 or 3 in the
morning. He said that grandpappy never said a word, instead waiting on
him to break the conversation. He decided that next day, that his best
course of action was to get his ass back in school.
He found out a few years later that it had all been a set-up, but he was
glad his grandpappy had the sense to make him learn the lesson and make
the decision by himself. He said if pappy had just preached about
school, being a hard-headed teenager, things would have turned out
totally different.
He worked in the Foundry for several years before he came over to the
machining side, and was laughing at this young lad thinking he had a hard
job. Told him he needed to go over there and grab the working end of a
hand ladle for a few 12 hr shifts, he would appreciate the job he has.
In conversation with this young fella, seems the hardest thing he's ever
done is mow the lawn. Yea, it's a job, and all jobs suck, but he could
have it MUCH worse than he does now. He ought to be thankful for the
position he has, not be bitching about having to push some buttons 3 or 4
times a shift.......

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Proctologically Violated©®

Yeah, ahm sure there is some great artiste all hamstrung up inside this guy,
jes waitin to eemerge....

Teutul Sr ain't no foo'...
Every once in a while **** slips out.... This walrused-lipped asshole makes
15 custom bikes per month w/ another crew! So much for "custom".
Pauli's **** is these occasional high-priced "theme" bikes. I guess *he*
needs to express hisself...

Sr's also got a construction iron works place out back, that you see every
once in a while, but which they rarely identify.

So this bull**** profilin' ain't even real at OCC.... Sr. is too much of a
prick to allow DAT unpfrofitable **** to happen.

Ahm wunnering what the real story is w/ this asshole Jesse James... When
his thing was more OCC-style, they were complainin bout payrole....

Reality TV.... yer better off jes gettin excited in the shower....
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Anthony" wrote in message
[...]

Proctologically Violated©®

Oh yeah, dat was one smart grandpappy....
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll