DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Metal buildings and lightening sort of OT (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/97357-metal-buildings-lightening-sort-ot.html)

[email protected] April 7th 05 12:53 AM

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 05:25:08 GMT, Don Bruder wrote:

In article ,
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Mike Fields wrote:

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

Andy Asberry wrote:

On 2 Apr 2005 07:30:59 -0800, "Too_Many_Tools"
wrote:

To set the time frame for this tale; remember when motor oil came in
real cans? (metal content)

Heck, I remember when it came in 55 gallon barrels and we young pump
jockeys had to transfer it into those one quart glass jars with those
tinplate screw on spouts on top of them.

Jeff

Yeah, and there was the Flying A Service stations where you could
get your car serviced ... had to get gas this morning and I think I
got "serviced" instead $2.37 (up to $2.41 same station by the time I
came home). When people came in, you did their windows, checked
the water and oil for them and all those good things (been there done that)

Right, I even had to clean the front floors of customers' cars with a
whisk broom and dustpan. (Seriously.)

I just hope that gas prices don't go so high that young toughs will
start stealing gas from peoples cars like they did during the oil
shortages in the mid 70s.

Remember how those *******s used to shove a pan under the back of your
car and then jam a shiv up through the bottom of the gas tank so they
could make off with your gas? Ugly times.

At $2.42 (and still rising, despite only being $2.30 in the next town
over) a gallon locally, I'm expecting exactly that type of thing to
begin happening in this area just about any time now. (Butte County
California - SERIOUSLY depressed, economically. Depending on which
report you read, we're either #1 or #2 in the category "highest
percentage of county population receiving unemployment/welfare benefits
in the state of California." - A rather dubious honor.) I'd consider
moving, but with gas prices being what they are, I practically can't
afford to fill the car to get me out of here!

Something REALLY needs to be done about the price-gouging the oil
companies are doing. And don't try to hand me any of that crap about the
price of a barrel of crude being high - That barrel of oil that the oil
company buys today isn't going to arrive at the gas pump for 6 months,
if not longer, but you can bet your ass that it'll be jacked up even
further when it DOES get here, even if the price of oil were to
magically fall through the floor overnight. They don't care, though...
So long as they keep lining their pockets.

Reminds me of the "coffee shortage" back about the same time as the oil
shortage - Prices almost literally doubled overnight when the south
american coffee crop got frosted. Never mind the fact that those beans
wouldn't have hit US shores for processing, LET ALONE grocery store
shelves for consumers to buy, for a minimum of 6-8 months. But when
record-level crops from other countries started coming in a few months
later, practically flooding the market, did the price of coffee go back
down to anything near what it was prior to the "shortage"? HELL NO!!!
Prices actually JUMPED AGAIN!

We've got the same thing going on with gas - It boils down to "They'll
bitch, but they'll pay the outrageous price because they don't have a
choice, so let's leave the price high (or jack it even higher), rake off
everything we can, and when the bitching gets loud enough, we'll drop
the price 3 cents to shut them up for a while before we raise it another
10 cents."

Fondly remembering a news article on the back of a recipe mom clipped
out of the Detroit Free Press back in about '72 - Headline: "Gas war
continues: Prices down to 31 cents per gallon in some areas" The story
went on to describe a "price war" in Detroit involving several gas
stations trying to undercut each other. Owners from several of the
stations were interviewed, and were raving about how they hadn't made so
much money in years, even with the seeming "cut your own throat" prices
that were involved. One owner was even quoted as saying he had plans to
drop his prices to a quarter a gallon for all grades, and was expecting
that if he did, he'd be making even more of a profit due to the volume.

Over 93 cents a LITER up here in the "great white north"

Gerald Miller April 7th 05 02:35 AM

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 09:53:56 -0700, Jim Stewart
wrote:

To set the time frame for this tale; remember when motor oil came in
real cans? (metal content)

I'm a little unclear. I remember those flimsy
cylindrical 1 qt. 'cans' that were mostly cardboard
with metalized foil. Any damage and you'd have
a puddle of oil to clean up. I presume real metal
cans came before that.

I still have a couple of the spouts plus one of the funnels with the
built in opener.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Mike Fields April 7th 05 03:18 AM

Ken Sterling (Ken Sterling) wrote in message

I'm glad they got out alive. It could have been much worse, as in:

There once was a man named McBride,
Who fell down the outhouse and died.
His next elder brother,
Fell into another,
So now they're in turd side-by-side.

Jeff

What a crappy joke ...

Don Bruder April 7th 05 03:22 AM

In article ,
"Mike Fields" wrote:

Ken Sterling (Ken Sterling) wrote in message

I'm glad they got out alive. It could have been much worse, as in:

There once was a man named McBride,
Who fell down the outhouse and died.
His next elder brother,
Fell into another,
So now they're in turd side-by-side.

Jeff

What a crappy joke ...

It was a bit of a stinker, wasn't it?

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html for full details.

Bruce L. Bergman April 7th 05 04:07 AM

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 00:24:15 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

I just hope that gas prices don't go so high that young toughs will
start stealing gas from peoples cars like they did during the oil
shortages in the mid 70s.

Remember how those *******s used to shove a pan under the back of your
car and then jam a shiv up through the bottom of the gas tank so they
could make off with your gas? Ugly times.

The best ones were the 'experts' who siphoned motorhomes "beekause
theyz got reel bigg gas tanks!" (SIC) - and got either the potable
water tank, or worse the black-water holding tank... ;-)

My Corvair still has it's locking gas cap on it, purchased in that
era. I was a teenager that learned very quickly that gas gauges fail
at the worst possible times, and cars don't run on fumes or push
easily, so I kept the tank toward the full side - if someone siphoned
it dry, my net worth would be cut in half...

-- Bruce --
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545

[email protected] April 7th 05 05:12 AM

wrote:

To set the time frame for this tale; remember when motor oil came in
real cans? (metal content)

I'm a little unclear. I remember those flimsy
cylindrical 1 qt. 'cans' that were mostly cardboard
with metalized foil. Any damage and you'd have
a puddle of oil to clean up. I presume real metal
cans came before that.

I still have a couple of the spouts plus one of the funnels with the
built in opener.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Carboard cans became common sometime after I got into the trade in
1969 - I rember the real steel cans, and the cardboard coming in, and
then the plastic.
I pumped a lot of bulk oil into those little glass bottles, as well as
into the gallon jugs.

Remember the old hand operated gas-pumps, with the calibrated glass
"jars"? Pump the jar full, then drain by gravity into the tank. Never
used one at work, but I remember filling the tractors etc on a
friend's farm with one.

[email protected] April 7th 05 05:16 AM

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 02:22:34 GMT, Don Bruder wrote:

In article ,
"Mike Fields" wrote:

Ken Sterling (Ken Sterling) wrote in message

I'm glad they got out alive. It could have been much worse, as in:

There once was a man named McBride,
Who fell down the outhouse and died.
His next elder brother,
Fell into another,
So now they're in turd side-by-side.

Jeff

What a crappy joke ...

It was a bit of a stinker, wasn't it?

Well, this is a true story.
There was a mentally challenged guy down the street from us who had an
outhouse, and every halloween kids would either move it back or tip it
over. Old Lloyd may have been slow, but he wasn't stupid. About noon
on the 30th one year, he moved the outhouse FORWARD just far enough
that when the kids came to move it they stepped in the hole. Caught
them red-handed.

Andy Asberry April 7th 05 05:18 AM

wrote:

Andy Asberry wrote:
On 2 Apr 2005 07:30:59 -0800, "Too_Many_Tools"
wrote:

Moving an outhouse a "few feet back" was standard practice during
Halloween to one up the tricksters. ;)

Also since many outhouses were used in the dead of night in almost zero
light conditions (many users could and did walk there with their eyes
closed), some outhouses of troublesome neighbors were regularly
relocated by the neighborhood's kids at dusk. ;))

One must remember that this was before kids had other distractions like
television, video games and Internet to keep their attention.

So much for good clean fun....

TMT

To set the time frame for this tale; remember when motor oil came in
real cans? (metal content)

I'm a little unclear. I remember those flimsy
cylindrical 1 qt. 'cans' that were mostly cardboard
with metalized foil. Any damage and you'd have
a puddle of oil to clean up. I presume real metal
cans came before that.

Young whipper-snapper!

Don Bruder April 7th 05 06:23 AM

"Mike Fields" wrote:

Ken Sterling (Ken Sterling) wrote in message

I'm glad they got out alive. It could have been much worse, as in:

There once was a man named McBride,
Who fell down the outhouse and died.
His next elder brother,
Fell into another,
So now they're in turd side-by-side.

Jeff

What a crappy joke ...

It was a bit of a stinker, wasn't it?

Well, this is a true story.
There was a mentally challenged guy down the street from us who had an
outhouse, and every halloween kids would either move it back or tip it
over. Old Lloyd may have been slow, but he wasn't stupid. About noon
on the 30th one year, he moved the outhouse FORWARD just far enough
that when the kids came to move it they stepped in the hole. Caught
them red-handed.

Methinks "brown-handed" would be the better phrasing in this case... :)

jim rozen April 7th 05 01:07 PM

In article , Bruce L. Bergman
says...

My Corvair still has it's locking gas cap on it, purchased in that
era. I was a teenager that learned very quickly that gas gauges fail
at the worst possible times, and cars don't run on fumes or push
easily, so I kept the tank toward the full side - if someone siphoned
it dry, my net worth would be cut in half...

After the nearly week-long power failure two summers ago, I
decreed that all houshold vehicles shall be considered empty
of fuel when their gages read "1/2." This way we can be
sure of having about half a tank of gas for emergency driving
if it happens again.

Jim

please reply to:

Jeff Wisnia April 7th 05 01:58 PM

Bruce L. Bergman wrote:

snipped

My Corvair still has it's locking gas cap on it, purchased in that
era. I was a teenager that learned very quickly that gas gauges fail
at the worst possible times,

Or the best...

Depending on the libido of the teenage femme in the passenger seat that
night....

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

[email protected] April 7th 05 07:38 PM

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 05:23:35 GMT, Don Bruder wrote:

"Mike Fields" wrote:

[...]

Well, for sure the "little stinkers" that had been doing the dirty
deed were REAL stinkers that night. One was the next door neighbor
brat.

Ron DeBlock April 7th 05 08:43 PM

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 09:53:56 -0700, Jim Stewart wrote:

I'm a little unclear. I remember those flimsy
cylindrical 1 qt. 'cans' that were mostly cardboard
with metalized foil. Any damage and you'd have
a puddle of oil to clean up.

I have bad memories of a pallet load of those things at the top of
a wet concrete incline, and a forklift. The tires on the forklift spun as
I was trying to get close to the pallet, then they grabbed, and the forks
speared a few cases on the bottom layer. I soon learned that empty
cardboard cans with damaged sidewalls are not nearly as strong as full,
intact ones. The broken cans collapsed, dropping the higher layers, and
more boxes and cans burst open as they hit the ground. What a mess....

-Ron

Dave Hinz April 7th 05 08:53 PM

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 19:43:01 GMT, Ron DeBlock wrote:
On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 09:53:56 -0700, Jim Stewart wrote:

I'm a little unclear. I remember those flimsy
cylindrical 1 qt. 'cans' that were mostly cardboard
with metalized foil. Any damage and you'd have
a puddle of oil to clean up.

I have bad memories of a pallet load of those things at the top of
a wet concrete incline, and a forklift. The tires on the forklift spun as
I was trying to get close to the pallet, then they grabbed, and the forks
speared a few cases on the bottom layer. I soon learned that empty
cardboard cans with damaged sidewalls are not nearly as strong as full,
intact ones. The broken cans collapsed, dropping the higher layers, and
more boxes and cans burst open as they hit the ground. What a mess....

So, you got to leave work oily that day?

Jeff Wisnia April 7th 05 10:00 PM

Eric R Snow wrote:
On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 22:18:42 GMT, Lew Hartswick
wrote:

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

. The other kid was involved
in a head on collision with a drunk driver who got onto an interstate
the wrong way by entering it through an exit ramp.

Jeff

Hey Jeff, I guess you must have some "Native Americans" just like
we do here in Albuquerque. (drunk - wrong way on I 40, did in most
of a family)
...lew...

Lew,
Ya don't have to be a "Native American" to drive drunk and kill
people. I fail to see why it matters where they were born or who they
were born to. Hell, George Bush drove drunk and it was only luck that
kept him from killing someone when he took out a hedge.
ERS

Yes, the guy who killed my son's friend wasn't a Native American.

But if I am to believe what I keep reading, and I'd be happy if someone
would show me (with cites) tha I've been snookered, Native Americans do
as a group are reputed to have a much lower tolerance to alcohol and a
much higher incidence of alcoholism. I've been led to believe that is in
part due to the fact that alcohol wasn't introduced into their culture
until just a few hundred years ago, while the rest of us have been
boozing it up for thousands of years, and Darwinism did it's thing.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

[email protected] April 7th 05 11:33 PM

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 01:39:05 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Don Bruder" wrote in message
.. .

Fondly remembering a news article on the back of a recipe mom clipped
out of the Detroit Free Press back in about '72 - Headline: "Gas war
continues: Prices down to 31 cents per gallon in some areas" The story
went on to describe a "price war" in Detroit involving several gas
stations trying to undercut each other.

It was even lower in some places: 26 cents/gal at one station in Grand
Ledge, MI, where I used to gas up on my way to Grand Rapids. I remember
filling up my MG there for $1.90, and it was on empty when I stopped for
gas. The car got 35 mpg, too. g

Heh, we lived in both of those towns. I remember taking a quarter and
getting a gallon of gas for th' lawn mower and havin' .02 change for
th' gumball machine. That was in G.R. about '65 or so.

I got in big trouble at that gas station once. They had those soda
pop machines with th' bottles of grape Nehi inserted sideways in a
rack. Insert .15 cents, open th' door and pull out whichever brand ya
wanted. Well, me being a genius back then, I brought a bottle opener
and a glass. Opened th' door, popped th' tops off a couple and had me
a glass full of *free* soda pop.

That's when Mr. VanderMeer, th' old Dutchman who owned th' place,
picked me up by th' scruff of th' neck and walked me home danglin'
from his paw. After he kicked m' butt, th' old man finished me off.
I spent th' rest of that summer sweeping and cleaning th' garage bays
at that gas station. Cured my ass from wanting *free* stuff from that
day on g.

Old man VanderMeer would prolly go to jail for that these days. Pity.

Snarl... thanks Mr. VanderMeer

Eric R Snow April 8th 05 12:17 AM

wrote:

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

[...]

I don't know either, but have heard, from Native Americans, that they
are actually less able to deal with alcohol biologically. And Africans
usually have darker skins than Europeans. But neither is relevant when
someone drives drunk. What's relevant is why the person is driving
drunk. Now if it's because they are drunk and made bad choices we need
to find out a way to keep these people from drinking. But identifying
the race in itself really has nothing to do with the person driving
drunk.
ERS

Ron DeBlock April 8th 05 12:22 AM

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 19:53:59 +0000, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 19:43:01 GMT, Ron DeBlock wrote:
I have bad memories of a pallet load of those things at the top of
a wet concrete incline, and a forklift. The tires on the forklift spun as
I was trying to get close to the pallet, then they grabbed, and the forks
speared a few cases on the bottom layer. I soon learned that empty
cardboard cans with damaged sidewalls are not nearly as strong as full,
intact ones. The broken cans collapsed, dropping the higher layers, and
more boxes and cans burst open as they hit the ground. What a mess....

So, you got to leave work oily that day?

Yeah, my boss was lookin' for me, but I gave him the slip.

Ken Sterling April 8th 05 02:18 AM

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 19:53:59 +0000, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 19:43:01 GMT, Ron DeBlock wrote:
I have bad memories of a pallet load of those things at the top of
a wet concrete incline, and a forklift. The tires on the forklift spun as
I was trying to get close to the pallet, then they grabbed, and the forks
speared a few cases on the bottom layer. I soon learned that empty
cardboard cans with damaged sidewalls are not nearly as strong as full,
intact ones. The broken cans collapsed, dropping the higher layers, and
more boxes and cans burst open as they hit the ground. What a mess....

So, you got to leave work oily that day?

Yeah, my boss was lookin' for me, but I gave him the slip.

That was kinda crude....

Don Bruder April 8th 05 02:22 AM

In article ,
Ken Sterling (Ken Sterling) wrote:

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 19:53:59 +0000, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 19:43:01 GMT, Ron DeBlock wrote:
I have bad memories of a pallet load of those things at the top of
a wet concrete incline, and a forklift. The tires on the forklift spun as
I was trying to get close to the pallet, then they grabbed, and the forks
speared a few cases on the bottom layer. I soon learned that empty
cardboard cans with damaged sidewalls are not nearly as strong as full,
intact ones. The broken cans collapsed, dropping the higher layers, and
more boxes and cans burst open as they hit the ground. What a mess....

So, you got to leave work oily that day?

Yeah, my boss was lookin' for me, but I gave him the slip.

That was kinda crude....

Cut the guy some slack! He's refining his routine!

Gunner April 8th 05 03:01 AM

wrote:

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

[...]

It was explained to me, that there is actually a genetic issue.

Gunner

Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"

jim rozen April 8th 05 04:34 AM

In article ,
says...

I got in big trouble at that gas station once. They had those soda
pop machines with th' bottles of grape Nehi inserted sideways in a
rack. Insert .15 cents, open th' door and pull out whichever brand ya
wanted. Well, me being a genius back then, I brought a bottle opener
and a glass. Opened th' door, popped th' tops off a couple and had me
a glass full of *free* soda pop.

:)

That's OK. I remember losing 15 cents, multiple times, to those
machines. The one we had, was real finicky. If you didn't yank
the bottles out just right, they locked back up again!

Jim

please reply to:

Gunner April 8th 05 05:41 AM

On 7 Apr 2005 20:34:21 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

In article ,
says...

I got in big trouble at that gas station once. They had those soda
pop machines with th' bottles of grape Nehi inserted sideways in a
rack. Insert .15 cents, open th' door and pull out whichever brand ya
wanted. Well, me being a genius back then, I brought a bottle opener
and a glass. Opened th' door, popped th' tops off a couple and had me
a glass full of *free* soda pop.

:)

That's OK. I remember losing 15 cents, multiple times, to those
machines. The one we had, was real finicky. If you didn't yank
the bottles out just right, they locked back up again!

Jim

damned kids....I used to buy those small Cokes at the Hillman Feed and
Grain for a nickle. And yep..it would eat your nickle

John Ferrell April 8th 05 06:44 PM

The gas station where I worked had a condom machine in the ladies
room. It was NEVER stocked. The complainers were issued the product
from the bottom desk drawer, but they were few.... What a money maker!

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 15:33:12 -0700, wrote:

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 01:39:05 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

. ..

Gerald Miller April 9th 05 01:07 AM

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 17:44:33 GMT, John Ferrell
wrote:

The gas station where I worked had a condom machine in the ladies
room. It was NEVER stocked. The complainers were issued the product
from the bottom desk drawer, but they were few.... What a money maker!

What a way to find out who puts out
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Jeff Wisnia April 10th 05 05:43 PM

Brian Lawson wrote:

Halloween night, 1956. We decide to steal an outhouse and put it on
the front lawn of the high-school. Sneak into the farmers back yard,
about 10 of us, and three guys go around to the back. Farmer must
have decided to move it within the last few days, and had not covered
over the old hole yet. Two guys fell in. They walked about 3 miles
back to town. We wouldn't even let them in the back of one of the
pickup trucks!

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 07:12:25 GMT, (Old Nick)
wrote:

That outhouse theme and the melting of the last traces of snow here in
Red Sox country reminded me of yet another childish endeavor - Writing
your name in the snow while relieving yourself.

Now you can relive (relieve?) those boyhood urgings right on your monitor:

But first, I couldn't resist writing one more limerick:

The name of the old Earl of Whiting,
Was writ in a hand quite indicting.
Found etched in the snow,
It amused most folks so,
'Cause it was in the housemaid's handwriting.

Do it yourself he

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/temp/snow_text.html

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

Gerald Miller April 11th 05 12:57 AM

wrote:

That outhouse theme and the melting of the last traces of snow here in
Red Sox country reminded me of yet another childish endeavor - Writing
your name in the snow while relieving yourself.

Now you can relive (relieve?) those boyhood urgings right on your monitor:

But first, I couldn't resist writing one more limerick:

The name of the old Earl of Whiting,
Was writ in a hand quite indicting.
Found etched in the snow,
It amused most folks so,
'Cause it was in the housemaid's handwriting.

From some years back:
"F**k Bill written in the snow with Al Gore's urine in Hillary's
handwriting"
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

jim rozen April 11th 05 01:54 AM

In article , Gerald Miller says...

From some years back:
"F**k Bill written in the snow with Al Gore's urine in Hillary's
handwriting"

Then there was Nancy's handwriting, and before that... etc

This joke goes *way* back. It's the feature item in a book
called "****ing in the Snow" compiled by Vance Randolph. This
includes such classics as:

Fireworks under the bed

He done it with a bucket