William Wixon

Default [Ganoksin] [Issue #123] Tips From The Jeweler's Bench

hear hear.
we all can live without art, but art enriches our lives, elevates us.

b.w.

In This Edition:

-snip-

7. Opinion - On Justifying Art
By J. Fred Woell

For many years, I have struggled to find ways of conveying the meaning
of art and its importance. I had come to believe that when critics and
teachers talk about art they primarily only talk about what we see on
the surface, the formal issues of design, composition, materials,
technique, and craftsmanship. In my quest to develop significant ways
to justify art, I wanted to go further to the invisible and emotional
aspects of creative work. This society badly needs art, and I feel we
must find ways of understanding why art is so important to our entire
culture if we ever expect it to become a healing and nurturing force in
our lives....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nena...ifying-art.htm

-snip-

reminded me of something i ran across, a movie review at www.imdb.com

To Ms., With Love, 22 January 2001
Author: harry-76 from Cleveland, Ohio USA

Ever since the Russian Sputnik sent shockwaves through the U.S.'s pride in
technological superiority, the public schools curriculum took a nosedive in
liberal arts education. In reshaping its priorities to get America "back on
top" as the world's leader in technological achievement, the nation's public
schools slashed its arts program unmercifully.

Among those subjects getting the ax were art, physical education, and
music -- the very subjects, along with math, which comprised the Aristotle
model curriculum. While America improved its world standing in technology,
character-building programs in the schools did indeed take a nosedive.

Since the long-range value of music is difficult to measure quantitively,
boards of education seized upon this void to mindlessly curtail the subject.
The result has been a steady decline in performance, appreciation, and
availability of art music during the last several decades.

"Music of the Heart" attempts to tell a true-life story of one determined
musician's efforts to bring quality musical performance to a school
community that initially lacked appreciation for what she had to offer. In
time, through her steadfastness, violin teacher Roberta Guaspari succeeded
in keeping her program alive through private funding and community support.

Meryl Streep portrays the teacher who experiences some wildy fluctuating
trials and triumphs, thanks to Pamela Gray's uneven script and Wes Craver's
equally uneven directing. While Streep appears genuinely committed to her
role and acquits herself beautifully in her work with both the violin and
educational presentation, she is only as successful as the setup will allow.

We rather know the path this film is trodding; Sidney Poitier, Richard
Dreyfuss and others have preceded Streep on this familiar journey. For those
who long for sentimentality and can ignore the cliche-ridden contrivances of
the script, they may be assured of some dramatic catharsis by the end.
Others, though, might well beware.

When "Music of the Heart" makes its nobler points, its a pleasu the need
for concerted discipline to render achievement; the unique impact
goal-attainment can have on people's sensibilities; and the beauty and
inspiration that fine music can accomplish in elevating and transforming a
community.

It is this awareness and message that makes "Music of the Heart" an often
engrossing statement.

Gunner

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 20:59:10 GMT, "William Wixon"
wrote:

hear hear.
we all can live without art, but art enriches our lives, elevates us.

b.w.

So does a really good bowel movement and an occasional blowjob.

Gunner

reminded me of something i ran across, a movie review at www.imdb.com

To Ms., With Love, 22 January 2001
Author: harry-76 from Cleveland, Ohio USA

[...]

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
H. L. Mencken