mtbound

Default Advice on what tools to use

I'm new to metalworking and have been developing an invention that
requires me to gain some knowledge about what types of machines/tools I
would need to manufacture the parts out of my small garage.

I would like to produce 10 to 50 units a day out of 16 gauge sheet
metal. The problem I'm having is identifying what tool I would use to
punch out or cut a somewhat rectangular shape about 8x4 inches out of a
larger 2x4 foot sheet of metal.

Once the piece is cut, I would also need to apply 4 90 deg bends to the
cut piece. I've seen finger brakes but am wondering if I need a 4 foot
piece of machinery that I would only use 8 inches of to bend the
pieces.

What would be the best way for me to cut these smaller pieces out of
larger sheet? Is there any other way to bend the small pieces of sheet
metal other than a finger brake?

I'm looking for suggestions on tooling/machines and any help you could
provide would be greatly appreciated.

DoN. Nichols

In article .com,
mtbound wrote:
I'm new to metalworking and have been developing an invention that
requires me to gain some knowledge about what types of machines/tools I
would need to manufacture the parts out of my small garage.

I would like to produce 10 to 50 units a day out of 16 gauge sheet
metal.

*Which* metal? 16 gauge mild steel is the top end for most of
the tools which I mention below. 16 Ga stainless steel will break them.
16 Ga aluminum will be dead easy.

The problem I'm having is identifying what tool I would use to
punch out or cut a somewhat rectangular shape about 8x4 inches out of a
larger 2x4 foot sheet of metal.

For that a "stomp shear" (foot pedal operated shear) capable of
somewhat over the 4' width of standard sheet metal (supplied in 48x96"
size normally -- your 2x4 pieces will cost you more.

Once the piece is cut, I would also need to apply 4 90 deg bends to the
cut piece. I've seen finger brakes but am wondering if I need a 4 foot
piece of machinery that I would only use 8 inches of to bend the
pieces.

Finger brakes are the tool of choice here, since the fingers can
be easily arranged to clear the already-bent sides as you bend adjacent
ones. A press brake would need custom bars, but could clear longer side
flaps than the finger brake will clear.

They are available in various sizes. I've got a 24" DiAcro
which would probably be quite reasonable for your task. Is the 8x4"
dimension only a single side, or the overall size with the side flaps
included? If the overall size of the flat piece before bending, you can
use a smaller finger brake if you can find one. Check DiAcro's web page
for that.

But you will also need a "corner notcher" shear to make the
corners to allow the flaps to be bent up. A normal shear only cuts
straight lines, and you will need to cut 90-degree inside corners for
that part.

What would be the best way for me to cut these smaller pieces out of
larger sheet? Is there any other way to bend the small pieces of sheet
metal other than a finger brake?

Sure -- a press brake (larger and heavier and more expensive,
but quicker), or clamp things between pieces of wood in a good solid
vise, and hammer on another piece of wood to apply the hammer force to
the metal, if you are willing to have things look not as nice -- and
possibly need to re-make a higher percentage of them.

I'm looking for suggestions on tooling/machines and any help you could
provide would be greatly appreciated.

DiAcro is one of the US manufacturers, and should be quite good
for 16 ga mild steel. The Stuff sold by importers like Harbor Freight
has a reputation to not being able to bend or shear the specified
maximum size, and some of them are specified to thinner than 16 Ga to
start with, so I would avoid those if I could.

There are other US manufacturers, but DiAcro is the only one
which I know from *personal* experince -- and they may not make the
stomp shear, so you'll probably also want to check out Pexto, which I
know does.

Perhaps by tomorrow, you'll see answers from people who do more
sheet metal work than I do, and who are perhaps familiar with a wider
range of the tools needed.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Ernie Leimkuhler

In article .com,
mtbound wrote:

[...]

I think you may be going about this bass ackwards.

If you are only producing a limited run of these, then why invest in so
much equipment.
It is very easy to find a fab shop to make your pieces for your.
Every city has small to medium sized fab shops that can easily produce
your limited run.
If they are successful, then you can justify the investment in
equipment to produce a much larger run.

From a business point of view it just doesn't make much sense.
Now if you really want a shop of your own to play in, and are
justifying the investment to yourself as a business investment, then go
for it and start building your shop.
But don't fool yourself into thinking that it is sound business.

Outsourcing is a common part of most company's productions.

I have been doing architectural metal for 9 years and I still outsource
laser cutting, waterjet cutting, CNC machining, sheet metal, metal
spinning, structural shape bending, flame cutting, plasma cutting,
paint...
It just makes more sense to have big shops use their big machines for
me and my small projects, than to try to buy and house those big
machines.
Karl Townsend

From a business point of view it just doesn't make much sense.
Now if you really want a shop of your own to play in, and are
justifying the investment to yourself as a business investment, then go
for it and start building your shop.
But don't fool yourself into thinking that it is sound business.

Outsourcing is a common part of most company's productions.

Heresy! I've been telling my SO for years that this just isn't done. At
least for the projects I have. How else could I justify a new machine for a
one time job?

I'm also glad it's OK with Uncle. He let's me deduct my toys, er business
expense.

Karl

mtbound

Thanks for the information DoN.

BTW, the metal is 16 gauge mild steel.

Bob May

16ga. steel is a bit towards the thick end for most of the cheaper tools.
You'll be wanting to pay a premium for ones that can handle that thick of a
sheet on a continous basis as you don't want to work your machines at full
cap. all of the time.

--
Why isn't there an Ozone Hole at the NORTH Pole?

I would recommend you check and see if you can buy strip material.
Buying 16 gauge steel 4 inches wide would save you a lot of cutting.

Dan

Tom Miller

"Bob May" wrote in message
16ga. steel is a bit towards the thick end for most of the cheaper tools.
You'll be wanting to pay a premium for ones that can handle that thick of

sheet on a continous basis as you don't want to work your machines at full
cap. all of the time.

--
Why isn't there an Ozone Hole at the NORTH Pole?

There is a hole in the ozone layer at the north pole,but it is smaller
because the temperature is slightly higher!

Scott Moore

mtbound wrote:
[...]

Sounds like you are making a box. The lowest amount of tooling that would
do that would be a die, then take the die to a press shop and punch out,
say, 1000 units at a time. Then, your investment is limited to the die.

There are lots of Chinese diemakers advertising cheap diemaking.

mtbound

Great information guys.

I'll be investigating the strip material option as well as having dies
built.

Anybody deal with any of these chinese die making companies? I'd
prefer to deal with Americans, but will keep the chinese option open if
I hear positive feedback about the quality of the chinese dies.

Thanks again.