chunk

Default How are machine tools painted?

I've noticed on our nice new machine tools that when the
paint gets chipped it appears to be very thick. There also
appears to be a thick white coating under the paint.
What kind of process is typically used to finish a machine
tool with the characteristics that I described?

Dan Murphy

DaveB wrote in :

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 04:12:44 GMT, chunk wrote:

I've noticed on our nice new machine tools that when the
paint gets chipped it appears to be very thick. There also
appears to be a thick white coating under the paint.
What kind of process is typically used to finish a machine
tool with the characteristics that I described?

Bondo

Plus primer and two part epoxy paint.

Dan
Gunner

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 04:12:44 GMT, chunk wrote:

I've noticed on our nice new machine tools that when the
paint gets chipped it appears to be very thick. There also
appears to be a thick white coating under the paint.
What kind of process is typically used to finish a machine
tool with the characteristics that I described?

Industrial bondo...fill and paint.

Gunner

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
H. L. Mencken
Ecnerwal

In article ,
Dan Murphy wrote:

DaveB wrote in :

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 04:12:44 GMT, chunk wrote:

I've noticed on our nice new machine tools that when the
paint gets chipped it appears to be very thick. There also
appears to be a thick white coating under the paint.
What kind of process is typically used to finish a machine
tool with the characteristics that I described?

Bondo

Plus primer and two part epoxy paint.

Dan

On older machines, sometimes tar (or something very tar-like) was used
where the bondo is on modern machines, based on personal experience.

doo

chunk wrote:
I've noticed on our nice new machine tools that when the
paint gets chipped it appears to be very thick. There also
appears to be a thick white coating under the paint.
What kind of process is typically used to finish a machine
tool with the characteristics that I described?

Let me get some info from Al Babin... and I'll get back to
you........

LMAO, Ron

chunk

Gunner wrote:
On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 04:12:44 GMT, chunk wrote:

I've noticed on our nice new machine tools that when the
paint gets chipped it appears to be very thick. There also
appears to be a thick white coating under the paint.
What kind of process is typically used to finish a machine
tool with the characteristics that I described?

Industrial bondo...fill and paint.

Gunner

What do they do... thin the bondo and spray it on? I can't imagine
them doing it by hand.
carl mciver

"chunk" wrote in message
nk.net...
| Gunner wrote:
| On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 04:12:44 GMT, chunk wrote:
|

| I've noticed on our nice new machine tools that when the
| paint gets chipped it appears to be very thick. There also
| appears to be a thick white coating under the paint.
| What kind of process is typically used to finish a machine
| tool with the characteristics that I described?
|

| Industrial bondo...fill and paint.
|
| Gunner
|

| What do they do... thin the bondo and spray it on? I can't imagine
| them doing it by hand.

Slap, spooge and shove out into place. Trim and file. Repeat. Thick
paint to hide the file marks.

Just about anyone that works castings does it. If not Bondo, then other
similar materials.

Gunner

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 00:31:53 GMT, chunk wrote:

Gunner wrote:
On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 04:12:44 GMT, chunk wrote:

I've noticed on our nice new machine tools that when the
paint gets chipped it appears to be very thick. There also
appears to be a thick white coating under the paint.
What kind of process is typically used to finish a machine
tool with the characteristics that I described?

Industrial bondo...fill and paint.

Gunner

What do they do... thin the bondo and spray it on? I can't imagine
them doing it by hand.

Thin the bondo, and put it on by hand. At least in the old days.
Shrug..its not all that hard to cover up a casting with filler and
give it a quick smoothing with sand paper, then paint with something
nice and thick.

Gunner

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
H. L. Mencken
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"chunk" wrote in message
ink.net...
I've noticed on our nice new machine tools that when the
paint gets chipped it appears to be very thick. There also
appears to be a thick white coating under the paint.
What kind of process is typically used to finish a machine
tool with the characteristics that I described?

As you've described them, it appears your tools are Pacific rim look-alikes
of domestic tools.

A really good tool will have the castings "hooked" smooth all over. Then a
simple prime coat and enamel works fine.

The oriental low-cost tools are typically left with the castings completely
rough. They are then painted in a THICK coat of white or red lead filler,
sanded _somewhat_ smooth, then enameled.

LLoyd

Daniel A. Mitchell

Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
Dan Murphy wrote:

DaveB wrote in :

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 04:12:44 GMT, chunk wrote:

I've noticed on our nice new machine tools that when the
paint gets chipped it appears to be very thick. There also
appears to be a thick white coating under the paint.
What kind of process is typically used to finish a machine
tool with the characteristics that I described?

Bondo

Plus primer and two part epoxy paint.

Dan

On older machines, sometimes tar (or something very tar-like) was used
where the bondo is on modern machines, based on personal experience.

Sometimes heavy 'white lead' was used on older machines too ... about
like the 'settlings' at the bottom of the cans of old lead paint. If you
suspect this, use of a lead paint 'test kit' would be in order before
doing a lot of sanding or grinding. While lead is toxic, it's not much
of a problem until you either heat it, or turn it to dust.

Dan Mitchell
============
Daniel A. Mitchell

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

"chunk" wrote in message
ink.net...

I've noticed on our nice new machine tools that when the
paint gets chipped it appears to be very thick. There also
appears to be a thick white coating under the paint.
What kind of process is typically used to finish a machine
tool with the characteristics that I described?

As you've described them, it appears your tools are Pacific rim look-alikes
of domestic tools.

A really good tool will have the castings "hooked" smooth all over. Then a
simple prime coat and enamel works fine.

The oriental low-cost tools are typically left with the castings completely
rough. They are then painted in a THICK coat of white or red lead filler,
sanded _somewhat_ smooth, then enameled.

LLoyd

You say decent machines DON'T use 'bondo' like glazing under the paint?

That's odd ... the Bridgeport is genrally regarded as a decent mill, and
they have LOTS of 'bondo' all over the non-machined casting surfaces ...
up to 1/4 thick in places. So do most other USA made machines I've ever
seen. So too do most better grade foreign machines. It's the norm on
most castings-based machinery.

Dan Mitchell
============
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Daniel A. Mitchell" wrote in message
You say decent machines DON'T use 'bondo' like glazing under the paint?

That's odd ... the Bridgeport is genrally regarded as a decent mill, and
they have LOTS of 'bondo' all over the non-machined casting surfaces ...
up to 1/4 thick in places. So do most other USA made machines I've ever
seen. So too do most better grade foreign machines. It's the norm on
most castings-based machinery.

I won't argue the point, since the newest machine I own was built in 1961.
But it wasn't true for most quality tools (I have seen) of that and past
eras. My F.E. Reed lathe hasn't got a smidge of filler on it anywhere, and
my Cincinattee #2 mill has only a few spots on the lower base. I stripped
and re-finished them, so that's not guess.

Perhaps in an effort for "increased productivity" modern toolmakers are
taking cosmetic shortcuts they didn't before. Still, wouldn't you be a bit
put off by finding a 1/4" of filler on something that's supposedly
structural?

LLoyd

Tim Wescott

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

I won't argue the point, since the newest machine I own was built in 1961.
But it wasn't true for most quality tools (I have seen) of that and past
eras. My F.E. Reed lathe hasn't got a smidge of filler on it anywhere, and
my Cincinattee #2 mill has only a few spots on the lower base. I stripped
and re-finished them, so that's not guess.

Perhaps in an effort for "increased productivity" modern toolmakers are
taking cosmetic shortcuts they didn't before. Still, wouldn't you be a bit
put off by finding a 1/4" of filler on something that's supposedly
structural?

LLoyd

Not if it was obviously there for cosmetic reasons, and the actual
amount of metal underneath was adequate to the job.

Of course I tend to care far more about function than form -- my truck
comes in 4 shades of "forest green" but the engine only has 30000 miles
on a very high-end rebuild, I build prototype circuits with ugly-as-sin
construction on bare copper-clad board because it works well, I previous
rode bicycle had bare-metal spots on the top tube because my rain pants
kept the rust rubbed off, etc.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Gunner

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 11:25:45 -0500, "Daniel A. Mitchell"
wrote:

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

"chunk" wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

Indeed. Having stripped more than a few Hardinge lathes...the "bondo"
layer can be thick indeed on them.

Gunner

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
H. L. Mencken

chunk

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
"chunk" wrote in message
ink.net...

I've noticed on our nice new machine tools that when the
paint gets chipped it appears to be very thick. There also
appears to be a thick white coating under the paint.
What kind of process is typically used to finish a machine
tool with the characteristics that I described?

As you've described them, it appears your tools are Pacific rim look-alikes
of domestic tools.

A really good tool will have the castings "hooked" smooth all over. Then a
simple prime coat and enamel works fine.

The oriental low-cost tools are typically left with the castings completely
rough. They are then painted in a THICK coat of white or red lead filler,
sanded _somewhat_ smooth, then enameled.

LLoyd

We have Mazak's, Warner & Swasey's, Mori Seiki's, and some older stuff
and it seems like it is all finished about the same. I suppose I'm wrong
but I know I've seen the thick finish on some of them.

Machine tools manufactured during WWII generally had tags by the "War
Finishes Board". These tags indicated that the machines were well made
but due to labor shortages the extra effort required to smooth the
castings and make the machines "pretty" was not available. All nice
machne tools are heavily glazed and the older machines have some kind
of a clay based glaze while I' m sure newer ones are using catalized
polyester resin. Never sandblast a cast machine, unless you have to, as
you will open up more horrible gaps and visually distressing openings
then you can imagine. I have a lovely LeBlond lathe that a former owner
sand blasted only to find holes straight through the base castings. I
just had a ex-Navy Famco #6 arbor press stripped and there are about
two or three pounds of filler now reqired to close up the rough spots.
The sandblasting was required as the machine had 15 coats of paint with
rust under the first one. If you ever want to see a beautiful machine
finsh, check out some of the older Italian machines. They use the same
materials and techniques used on the hand buillt Ferraris and
Maseratis. Actually most of the car manufacturers over there made
machine tools as well, but not Ferrari. Leigh@MarMachine

Tim Wescott

[...]

My dad used to do bodywork on exotic cars. He had one Italian
hand-built car in that was basically a 1/8 inch skin of bondo over
sheetmetal that was as rough as a cob -- and that was from the factory.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Hans van Dongen

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
"chunk" wrote in message
ink.net...

I've noticed on our nice new machine tools that when the
paint gets chipped it appears to be very thick. There also
appears to be a thick white coating under the paint.
What kind of process is typically used to finish a machine
tool with the characteristics that I described?

As you've described them, it appears your tools are Pacific rim look-alikes
of domestic tools.

A really good tool will have the castings "hooked" smooth all over. Then a
simple prime coat and enamel works fine.

The oriental low-cost tools are typically left with the castings completely
rough. They are then painted in a THICK coat of white or red lead filler,
sanded _somewhat_ smooth, then enameled.

LLoyd

Don't know about american iron, but I've stripped a few old swiss
high-class machines ; the castings were filed somewhat smooth, coated
with red lead primer, thick whitish filler, and then a top coat.
the only exception I know of was Mikron who apparently left their
castings completely untreated, with maybe only a transparent top coat (
http://www.anglo-swiss-tools.co.uk/Mikronoutfit.html )

Hans
--

This is a non-profit organization;
we didn't plan it that way, but it is

(remove uppercase trap, and double the number to reply)