DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Weight of a Bridgeport w/9"x32" Table? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/95802-weight-bridgeport-w-9%22x32%22-table.html)

JB March 19th 05 11:48 PM

Weight of a Bridgeport w/9"x32" Table?

Hi Guys,

Would anyone know the approximate weight of a Bridgeport J-Head with a 9x32"
table?

Thanks.

Joe...

Jon Elson March 20th 05 12:53 AM

JB wrote:
Hi Guys,

Would anyone know the approximate weight of a Bridgeport J-Head with a 9x32"
table?

Thanks.

Joe...

I think it is about 1500 Lbs. I have one. Mine added 100 Lbs when I
upgraded to a J head.

Jon

Dave August March 20th 05 01:56 AM

The offical Bridgeport weight for a 1J 9x48 is #2101

I can tell ya that 42" table weighs all of the 300+ pounds they say it
does... so figure you are maybe #75 lighter...

Dave

Jon Elson March 20th 05 06:38 AM

JB wrote:
Hi Guys,

Would anyone know the approximate weight of a Bridgeport J-Head with a 9x32"
table?

Does this have a dovetail ram or the older round ram? Does it have the
12" Y travel, or the ~9" travel of the old, smaller knee?

The 9 x 32" sounds like the old, pre 1950's round ram, short knee
machine. That's why I was throwing out about 1500 Lbs. It seems
each update of the machine added significant weight. Certainly the
bigger knee added a lot of weight.

Jon

JB March 20th 05 11:34 AM

Jon,

It has a dovetail ram. It originally had an M Head which has been replaced
with a J Head.

Thanks for the help.

Joe...

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
ervers.com...

Richard J Kinch March 21st 05 06:12 AM

ATP* writes:

2200 pounds

No way.

ATP* March 22nd 05 02:55 AM

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
.. .
ATP* writes:

2200 pounds

No way.

That's out of one of the Bridgeport manuals. I can't weigh mine to verify
it. Obviously the size of the table, head, power feed, etc. will make a
difference. Hence approximate.

Richard J Kinch March 24th 05 02:23 AM

ATP* writes:

2200 pounds

No way.

That's out of one of the Bridgeport manuals.

What manual?

There are claims on Web pages that seem to be highly overstated.

ATP* March 27th 05 05:29 AM

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
ATP* writes:

2200 pounds

No way.

That's out of one of the Bridgeport manuals.

What manual?

There are claims on Web pages that seem to be highly overstated.

It's hard to tell what original manual it came from, it's a copywrite
expired type reprint. I believe the weight was meant to be for the
vari-speed head, assembled gross weight. I have seen higher numbers on the
web, which were probably shipping weights.