Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Nick Huckaby

Default Chisels broke

I bought four sets of chisels from a used place. The kind with a light green
see-thru handle and a black trim - no brand. It performed fine for a few
weeks until a pearl sized chip came off in sections from the tip of the green
handle which I did not notice earlier. I was chiseling against the grain of the
wood, not along the grain as instructed from a book. But, I've chiseled against
the grain with a 10-year old Stanley (with a non-see-thru plastic handle) without
problems.

The problem is that a few of the green see-thru chisels have 10-15 percent
chips gone from its plastic striking surface. Since that day I am more careful.
I'm not sure whether the cause is the a 12-oz. iron hammer or the way I pound
them. What's the best way to repair these tool?

Thanks