Gerald Miller

Default Help, compressor "dances" on the floor.

On 3 Mar 2005 05:29:42 GMT, Ignoramus24456
wrote:

My compressor apparently moves on the floor due to vibration. Not a
lot, but enough to make me concerned. Any easy and practical
suggestions are welcomed. I can see some solutions, but want to know
the best one.

My hand cobbled vertical has a wood base about a foot square. Between
this and the concrete I placed a couple 4" x 12" vibration damping
rubber pads - 1/8" thick sheet with 1/4" ID x 1/8" wall tube molded on
about every 3/4" (Don't ask where to get these - I found them at a
dollar store) An anti fatigue mat would probably work just as well.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Harold and Susan Vordos

wrote:

My compressor apparently moves on the floor due to vibration. Not a
lot, but enough to make me concerned. Any easy and practical
suggestions are welcomed. I can see some solutions, but want to know
the best one.

Forgot to say, I have 4 old rubber legs (mounts) from my DJE
generator, maybe I can use them to dampen vibration.

That's what I'd have suggested. Just make sure they're rated for the load.
It's a good idea to isolate the steel legs with a pad of sorts, anyway,
which helps lower drumming noises.

Harold

Gunner

wrote:

My compressor apparently moves on the floor due to vibration. Not a
lot, but enough to make me concerned. Any easy and practical
suggestions are welcomed. I can see some solutions, but want to know
the best one.

Easy:
A piece of carpet under each foot
Harder
A piece of tire under each foot

Moderate.

Drill and install redheads

Gunner

Lathe Dementia. Recognized as one of the major sub-strains of the
all-consuming virus, Packratitis. Usual symptoms easily recognized
and normally is contracted for life. Can be very contagious.
michael
Grant Erwin

You can also try to damp down the vibration. Start with removing
the belt and spin the motor. If it's dead smooth then it's the belt
or something downstream, or possibly the motor pulley is eccentric.
Stuff like that.

GWE
Gary Brady

Ignoramus24456 wrote:
My compressor apparently moves on the floor due to vibration. Not a
lot, but enough to make me concerned. Any easy and practical
suggestions are welcomed. I can see some solutions, but want to know
the best one.

Go to Home Depot and get a 4" sewer pipe repair coupling. This coupling
will be about 3/8" thick rubber. Slice it up into sizes that fit under
the feet of your compressor. It will eliminate the dance.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

Grant Erwin

snip of large informative article

Yup. However, that article was written about large (multi-ton) compressors.
Read through this article, which was written about light import drill presses.
There's some stuff in there about vibration:
http://metalwebnews.com/howto/drill-...ill-press.html
steamer

--Unless it's top heavy or a monster put it on a cart.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Blah blah blah blah
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : blah blah blah...
Charles Spitzer

news
wrote:

My compressor apparently moves on the floor due to vibration. Not a
lot, but enough to make me concerned. Any easy and practical
suggestions are welcomed. I can see some solutions, but want to know
the best one.

Easy:
A piece of carpet under each foot
Harder
A piece of tire under each foot

Moderate.

Drill and install redheads

Gunner

i have a vibrolap, and found that carpet doesn't work at all. it's actually
a lower coefficient of friction and moves easier than if it's rubber feet
are directly on the concrete.

Four well secured wood cleats will likely do the job. That's what I use
on my 5KW emergency generator and it gets the job done at minimal
expense. Without them, the generator would gradually 'walk' the entire
width of the driveway.

Harry C.

Tim Williams

"Gunner" wrote in message
news
Easy:
A piece of carpet under each foot

snip
Drill and install redheads

I take it the carpet is made of RCH then?

Tim

--
"California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes."

Mark Rand

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 22:25:16 -0600, "Tim Williams"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
news
Easy:
A piece of carpet under each foot

snip
Drill and install redheads

I take it the carpet is made of RCH then?

Tim

Down Boy!!

Mark Rand
RTFM