Ed Huntress

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
"doo" wrote in message
oups.com...

Sorry to hear you're going, Ed. You've always been one for great
advice.

Thanks, Ron, I appreciate that.

One person asks a question, misunderstands or doesn't like the answer,
then derides those who respond... a million times in this group I've
hung my head and shook my head in disbelief, asking "Why the hell did
you ask anyone's opinion if you really didn't WANT to hear it?" Those
of us who have been here awhile know what I'm talking about.... with a
show of hands, who remembers the rryker/pete albrecht debates? You
don't have to raise YOUR hand, Ed, IIRC you were there too...lol

Guilty. g

Without choosing sides, I'd have to agree with more of Procto's
statements here. Every tig welder I've ever used had the gas connected
to the pedal. Also never had to use helium. I guess it has it's place
for x-ray quality welds for nuke stuff, but for average, everyday
stuff... well, it's just too expensive.

I should leave this one to Ernie, because I have about two days of TIG
experience and the rest is from books, but...

Welding yards of continuous, watertight joints with TIG sounds like a
career, not a project. That's where MIG really shines.

Career Indeed!! And yards of filleted joints, at that!
And howbout those **corners**?
And, getting sick from grinding thoriated tungsten as well during said
"career".
He does know about grinding the tungsten, right??
Altho I don't think our resident asshole deserves thorium poisoning (altho
his family just might disagree), I do think a nice poetic justice would be
leaking fishtanks for this idiot.
He bought hisself a econotig, and jes HADDA justify it w/ effing plates of
goddamm aluminum.
Mig indeed.

It's actually easy to go nuts w/ TIG. Coming from an AC225 buzzbox, you
sorta feel like a mad scientist.
Man, I spent a *fortune* on every type of tungsten rod in the house, in

all
diameters, grinding all kinds of tip styles, all the rod alloys in all
diameters, stainless wheels, brushes, acetone, alcohol, degreasers--I even
did the Helium mix.
In the welding ng, there were a cupla of us drooling over custom mixing
manifolds for custom gas mixes (IIRC, I think you can also use CO2 or

sumpn
in the mix). I was lookin at water-cooled rheostated torches...
Man, I was gonna lose my house!!!

But, I wasn't a rude asshole.
And, the welding houses loved me, for a while.

Ed, you are a classy guy.... I was good fer dat pizza/beer, but you
basically told the truth, albeit oh-so diplomatically!!!

Ooh, that's a good one to leave on. Thanks. From a guy who used to live in
Mount Voinon, to the guy in Yankahs, hasta la vista. I'm signing off for a
while. Won't the guys who have me plonked be all confused now? g

--
Ed Huntress