Waynemak

Default Anyone have the dimesions and taper angle on a 5c?

I know its on the web but I am getting a bunch of pages trying to sell me
something. Does anyone have the dimensions and taper angle of a 5C.

machineman

Waynemak wrote:

I know its on the web but I am getting a bunch of pages trying to sell me
something. Does anyone have the dimensions and taper angle of a 5C.

Try this

http://www.dunhamtool.com/5c_collet.html
Waynemak

Wow that company is a few miles from my house and I have never heard of
them.
"machineman" wrote in message
news3SSd.26353$NN.2683@edtnps89...
Waynemak wrote:

I know its on the web but I am getting a bunch of pages trying to sell me
something. Does anyone have the dimensions and taper angle of a 5C.

Try this

http://www.dunhamtool.com/5c_collet.html

Bugs

My 5-C's have a Jarno taper, 0.60"/ft.
This taper was designed to involve no math to calculate. The large end
is the taper no. in 1/8th's, the small end is the number in 1/10th's
and the length is the taper number divided by 2. The taper in the c-5
is a truncated #13.
Hope this helps, Bugs

Eric R Snow

On 23 Feb 2005 04:50:33 -0800, "Bugs" wrote:

My 5-C's have a Jarno taper, 0.60"/ft.
This taper was designed to involve no math to calculate. The large end
is the taper no. in 1/8th's, the small end is the number in 1/10th's
and the length is the taper number divided by 2. The taper in the c-5
is a truncated #13.
Hope this helps, Bugs

I don't think your 5C collets have a jarno taper. If they did they
wouldn't be 5C collets.
ERS

Errol Groff

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 20:50:20 -0500, "Waynemak"
wrote:

I know its on the web but I am getting a bunch of pages trying to sell me
something. Does anyone have the dimensions and taper angle of a 5C.

I notice that the drawing on the Dunham Tool site shows the internal
thread but not the external thread dimensions.

A few years back when I was repairing 5C drawbars for our S.B. lathes
I measured our collets, found the to be (IIRC) 1.235 x 20 I commenced
to search for that size tap, high and low I searched.

Finally I wound up talking to a rep at MSC who put me on hold for a
moment, next thing I knew I was on the three way conversation with
myself, the MSC guy and someone out in South Bend. The S.B. guy
cheerfully said Oh, we just make the drawbars 1.250 - 20. It was easy
to find that size tap for only $$$.

Errol Groff

Instructor, Machine Tool Department

H.H. Ellis Technical High School
643 Upper Maple Street
Dantieson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society
http://newenglandmodelengineeringsociety.org/

Waynemak

I was able to bore and thread a draw bar, the 20TPI is standard quick change
thread, that wasn't to bad, I was not trying fix old threads just made my
own draw bar. I am making a D1-4 mount 5c collet nose for my lathe and was
looking for the angle needed.
wrote:

[...]

tomcas

Eric R Snow wrote:
On 23 Feb 2005 04:50:33 -0800, "Bugs" wrote:

My 5-C's have a Jarno taper, 0.60"/ft.
This taper was designed to involve no math to calculate. The large end
is the taper no. in 1/8th's, the small end is the number in 1/10th's
and the length is the taper number divided by 2. The taper in the c-5
is a truncated #13.
Hope this helps, Bugs

I don't think your 5C collets have a jarno taper. If they did they
wouldn't be 5C collets.
ERS

He must be thinking of the 5c adapter for the spindle. Many spindles use
Jarno and #13 seems about the right size.
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Waynemak wrote:
I was able to bore and thread a draw bar, the 20TPI is standard quick change
thread, that wasn't to bad, I was not trying fix old threads just made my
own draw bar. I am making a D1-4 mount 5c collet nose for my lathe and was
looking for the angle needed.

The angle duplicates that on the 30-taper tooling for heavier
machine tools. According to Machinery's Handbook, that is:

3.5 inches/foot.

Which I think calculates out to 16.9578 degrees, or

16 deg 57' 28"

Enjoy,
Don.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564