Lawrence L'Hote

Default A Pasta Machine is NOT a Rolling Mill

Thanks for all the suggestions regarding my need for a rolling mill. I
should be able to get what I need for less than $200. Anyhow, I got this
great idea of trying out my garage sale pasta machine on my copper wire. I
was able to get #14 wire ~ .066" down to .033" in 4 passes with no
annealing. My machine would not allow any thinner. Also, the last pass
left some slight grooving on the rollers which should not affect its pasta
forming functionality.

Larry

Grant Erwin

Lawrence L'Hote wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions regarding my need for a rolling mill. I
should be able to get what I need for less than $200. Anyhow, I got this
great idea of trying out my garage sale pasta machine on my copper wire. I
was able to get #14 wire ~ .066" down to .033" in 4 passes with no
annealing. My machine would not allow any thinner. Also, the last pass
left some slight grooving on the rollers which should not affect its pasta
forming functionality.

I bet if you'd annealed the copper wire between passes you could have gotten
it thinner and also without leaving grooves.

GWE
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
snip-----

I bet if you'd annealed the copper wire between passes you could have

gotten
it thinner and also without leaving grooves.

Yep! No question about it.

Harold

Errol Groff

Maybe it would only go down to .033 because that is as close as the
rollers are able to close together?

Errol Groff

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 18:34:43 GMT, "Lawrence L'Hote"
wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions regarding my need for a rolling mill. I
should be able to get what I need for less than $200. Anyhow, I got this
great idea of trying out my garage sale pasta machine on my copper wire. I
was able to get #14 wire ~ .066" down to .033" in 4 passes with no
annealing. My machine would not allow any thinner. Also, the last pass
left some slight grooving on the rollers which should not affect its pasta
forming functionality.

Larry

Jeff Wisnia

Lawrence L'Hote wrote:

Also, the last pass
left some slight grooving on the rollers which should not affect its pasta
forming functionality.

Larry

Good thing it's only for pasta....

You just reminded me of the tongue lashing I deservedly received from my
dad for cranking a jeweler's saw blade through the rolling mill at his
jewelry manufacturing shop, "to see what would happen.", when I was
about ten years old.

It wasn't discovered until a couple of days later when one of the "bench
men" put a piece of plate through the mill and it came out with saw
blades embossed on both sides.

IIRC dad had to send those rolls out to a shop to get them cleaned up.

Thanks for the mammaries,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

Ed Bailen

wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions regarding my need for a rolling mill. I
should be able to get what I need for less than $200. Anyhow, I got this
great idea of trying out my garage sale pasta machine on my copper wire. I
was able to get #14 wire ~ .066" down to .033" in 4 passes with no
annealing. My machine would not allow any thinner. Also, the last pass
left some slight grooving on the rollers which should not affect its pasta
forming functionality.

Larry

It's a fine rolling mill for Sculpy. My wife uses it all of the time.

Ed