Terry Collins

Default How to release gal pipe from a pipe bender

Yep, just got a nice new pipe bender and gave it a trial.
The first bit of 20mm steel pipe went well and no probs.
But the 40mm gal pipe i stuck in there.

So I'm looking for suggestions on how to release it.

The obvious one is to hit the cast iron fitting to free it, but I'm
wondering if there is a better way.

And did I do something wrong and if so, what should I have done?

TIA (thanks in anticipation)
Bugs

Bend the pipe back a little to relieve the stress. Next time use some
lubricant on the die.
Bugs

Shawn

"Terry Collins" wrote in message
Yep, just got a nice new pipe bender and gave it a trial.
The first bit of 20mm steel pipe went well and no probs.
But the 40mm gal pipe i stuck in there.

So I'm looking for suggestions on how to release it.

The obvious one is to hit the cast iron fitting to free it, but I'm
wondering if there is a better way.

And did I do something wrong and if so, what should I have done?

TIA (thanks in anticipation)

The galvanizing increases the diameter of the pipe just enough that it tends
to stick in the die. As already stated, a little lube should help. Also,
don't hit the dies, hit the stock close to the die when using persuasion to
remove it.

Shawn