Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default affordable CNC with decent tolerances and speed

I would like to CNC vertical mill some 2024-T3 aluminum parts from
stock approximately 12"X12"X2". The parts are about 6"X6"x2" and have
a general profile tolerance of +/-.001. The parts will require full 3
axis machining.

What are my basic options for a fairly affordable CNC but one that has
decent enough speed and rigidity to make these parts in an
average/reasonable amount of time? For instance I would be happy if I
could make them in half the time that say a $50,000 used Haas or Fadal
VMC could make them in. The machine would only run about 10 hours a
week so it doesn't need to be too hell-for-stout.

A small machining center? A retrofit/conversion? A benchtop? Import
vs domestic? Other options?

I would like to keep the price down under about $7k if possible. Am I
dreaming?

Thanks folks.

Joe