yourname

= For instance I would be happy if I
could make them in half the time that say a $50,000 used Haas or Fadal
VMC could make them in.

think you mean twice the time

The machine would only run about 10 hours a
week so it doesn't need to be too hell-for-stout.

A small machining center? A retrofit/conversion? A benchtop? Import
vs domestic? Other options?

Look for bridgeport rigid ram cnc , 7k all day, I prefer heidenhain, but
the very late BOSS [with a crt for instance] are ok from what I hear,
the the bridgeport factory pc controls seem to get mixed reviews.

get as new as you can afford.

buy nothing prior to about 1985, preferably 1990

if this is a money making proposition, don't be afraid to borrow money,
those HAAS toolroom mils start around 20, so a 4 year lease is something
in the 4 hundreds a month, do the math.