JAMES RISER

Default Dural

Does anyone know the alloy number for the modern equivalent of dural?
Thanks.
Jim
--
James P. Riser
Http://www.JamesRiser.com

John G

Don't know the alloy number but
Its Post(Zip) Code is 2158 and it is just north west of Sydney
Australia.
"JAMES RISER" wrote in message
ink.net...
Does anyone know the alloy number for the modern equivalent of dural?
Thanks.
Jim
--
James P. Riser
Http://www.JamesRiser.com

Ed Huntress

"JAMES RISER" wrote in message
ink.net...
Does anyone know the alloy number for the modern equivalent of dural?
Thanks.
Jim

Dural (R) is a trade name, which originated, I think, as a name for aircraft
grades of duralumin. The Dural duralumin that most old references are
talking about is an aluminum-copper-magnesium alloy that's similar to
today's 2014 or 2024.

If it's a non-critical application, either one of those should stand in
adequately for Dural.

--
Ed Huntress

jtaylor

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
"JAMES RISER" wrote in message
ink.net...
Does anyone know the alloy number for the modern equivalent of dural?
Thanks.
Jim

Dural (R) is a trade name, which originated, I think, as a name for

aircraft
grades of duralumin. The Dural duralumin that most old references are
talking about is an aluminum-copper-magnesium alloy that's similar to
today's 2014 or 2024.

If it's a non-critical application, either one of those should stand in
adequately for Dural.

Ok, just for fun's sake, how about "Ergal", or "Hinduminium"?

Ed Huntress

"jtaylor" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
"JAMES RISER" wrote in message
ink.net...
Does anyone know the alloy number for the modern equivalent of dural?
Thanks.
Jim

Dural (R) is a trade name, which originated, I think, as a name for

aircraft
grades of duralumin. The Dural duralumin that most old references are
talking about is an aluminum-copper-magnesium alloy that's similar to
today's 2014 or 2024.

If it's a non-critical application, either one of those should stand in
adequately for Dural.

Ok, just for fun's sake, how about "Ergal", or "Hinduminium"?

'Don't know Ergal. Goodfellow's website says that Hinduminium is another
trade name for duralumin (Al95, Cu4, Mg1). Personally, I've never heard of
either one. You see Dural and duralumin in old books (1930s) about aircraft
manufacture.

Then there's the material that Sports Car Graphic said the Japanese were
using in a proposed F1 car, back around 1963: Bamboominum tubing. The body
was made of rice paper.

You have to appreciate that Japanese cars were still a joke back then.

--
Ed Huntress