Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Doctor John

Default Spiral staircase construction

After spending too much time trying to find plans for a spiral staircase, or
a kit for a reasonable cost, I've decided to start from scratch and make my
own. What I plan to do is weld 4" angle iron "tread brackets" to a 3" pipe
at 30 degree spacing (all material is 1/8 inch). Each tread is 8 " higher
than the next one - this gives 11 treads for an 88 inch rise. I'll cut a 1
1/2" radius curve into the horizontal part of the angle iron to match the
pipe I'm welding it to. The tread brackets will have welds on both sides of
the vertical and horizontal surfaces. Then I'm going to drill and bolt 2 by
12 wooden tread to each bracket. Brackets will probably be 36 to 40" long
as will wooden treads. I still haven't figured out the balusters, but
probably will use a single rod welded to each tread bracket and somehow
curve a metal railing for a hand rail (the rail will be a problem). This
may sound like a lot of work, but I have all the materials on hand, a Miller
175 MIG welder and a plasma cutter. There are only 11 treads to attach, so
I can get this part cut and done in a day, provided I can layout the degree
spacing without botching it. The big problem I see is the railing, but I do
have a small bender which I could bend short sections of pip in, and weld
them together as I work my way up. I looked for kits, and none had wooden
treads for less than about $2500 shipped to me in Colorado, so I have some
financial incentive. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks for being
a great group.

John

Construction Loan Terri Home Ownership 2 November 1st 04 06:13 PM
Locating septic leach lines for construction? Don Wallace Home Repair 12 September 15th 04 05:27 PM
Appraisal, refinance, and "under construction" question DanceRat Home Ownership 2 April 19th 04 09:01 PM
Single Wall Construction Extension - Problems?? SuzySue UK diy 2 January 8th 04 12:16 PM