DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Aluminum at Lowes (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/88524-aluminum-lowes.html)

[email protected] January 27th 05 09:55 PM

Aluminum at Lowes

Does anyone know what the aluminum rod at Lowes is in terms of grade?

I need some 3/8 inch rod that I can thread part way to put on a cb
antenna connector for a ham radio antenna.

I heard the 6061 was good but the 2024 or whatever it is gums up real
bad.

Eric R Snow January 27th 05 10:39 PM

On 27 Jan 2005 13:55:11 -0800, wrote:

Does anyone know what the aluminum rod at Lowes is in terms of grade?

I need some 3/8 inch rod that I can thread part way to put on a cb
antenna connector for a ham radio antenna.

I heard the 6061 was good but the 2024 or whatever it is gums up real
bad.

Though I don't know for sure, the best bet is 6061. It is by far the
most common alloy produced in round rod.
ERS

[email protected] January 28th 05 01:25 PM

Is it hard to thread?

[email protected] January 28th 05 04:13 PM

wrote:
Does anyone know what the aluminum rod at Lowes is in terms of grade?

I need some 3/8 inch rod that I can thread part way to put on a cb
antenna connector for a ham radio antenna.

I heard the 6061 was good but the 2024 or whatever it is gums up real
bad.

Most of that hardware store/H.I. store rod and flat stock is extruded,
machines like bubble gum. If it doesn't have the actual alloy number
stenciled on there, look out. I have seen a few aluminum shapes at the
big boxes with alloy numbers on it, square bar and plate, most is
mystery metal. Die-threading that extruded stuff can leave you with no
threads and something resembling a miniature corn cob. Doing it in the
lathe is worse, it tends to bend, very easily. Another item is the
lack of strength of that extruded stuff, cutting threads on it gives
you built-in stress risers, not something you need on an antenna. One
source for known grade alloy rod is MSC, there are others. Brass or
bronze might be another choice of material, if you end up ordering
metal.

Stan

jmiguez January 28th 05 06:41 PM

I have purchased metal from Online Metals.com. They have good, quick
service and reasonable prices. Freight can kill you though. They are
on the West Coast.

John

Charles A. Sherwood January 28th 05 06:43 PM

Does anyone know what the aluminum rod at Lowes is in terms of grade?

I have managed to find 6061 at one of the local HW stores. It was
plainly marked. Don't remmember if it was home depo or ace.

chuck

Koz January 28th 05 11:26 PM

jmiguez wrote:

I have purchased metal from Online Metals.com. They have good, quick
service and reasonable prices. Freight can kill you though. They are
on the West Coast.

John

Onlinemetals salesman comes around once in a while....says if price on
the web appears a little "funny" relative to what you see elsewhere,
give them a call to re-evaluate. They seem to be so focused on the "1
off" market that their web prices sometimes go a little awry.

Koz