Default Cut a slot in sheet metal?

Wild Bill wrote:
Hi.. power tools are sometimes the first thought, but a manual method
works well too.
You're wanting to slit (to obtain a flap) rather than slot, and a

tool
that I've used on all kinds of sheet materials is a scoring blade in

utility knife.

Stanley and others supply these hook-shaped cutting blades. You can

cut
steel sheetmetal with these blades, and the only material removed wil

be
a fine curl of the metal. They work much better on aluminum or

plastic
sheet.

Starting with light pressure, these blades will establish a cut

that's
easy to follow with more firm pressure in subsequent cuts. Thinking

in
small increments, and numerous draws (particularly in steel) of the
blade wil get the job done nicely.

Here on Staten Island, Home Depot and Lowes have pretty much
non-existent customer service, and no one I could find in either of
their understaffed stores knew anything about a scoring knife.

If I cannot find these blades locally, can I get recommendations on
where to order the specific blades needed?

I have to score and break off something close to .0156" wide strips of
metal from sheets that are .032" thick.
Thanks a lot."

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Wild Bill

I have the Stanley part/stock numbers for two styles of their scoring blades

11-942 Scoring knife blade, this is a longer version of the blade. It fits
retractable and standard handles, but it's not retractable.

1996 Short version for retractable-blade knife handles.

I saw another cutting tool that could be useful for many different sheet
materials. It was packaged as a ceramic tile scoring knife. The handle was a
bent/angle shaped form, and had small double-ended carbide cutters. The
cutter inserts resembled a double-ended threading insert.
These were some old dusty stock made by an unfamiliar manufacturer, so I
didn't buy one, considering that the cutters might not be available.

It's not surprising that many retail store employees don't know much of
anything about the merchandise, particularly tools and hardware. I've
overheard some of the training discussions that new employees get from
equally-ignorant training personnel.

Another option would be to improvise a cutting/scoring tool. The main
feature of these scoring tools is that the V-shaped cutter face is
approximately perpendicular to the material being cut. A handle that could
hold a short section of a shaped cutter will suffice.
A prepared section of hacksaw/bandsaw blade, or a piece of HSS or carbide
would work as well or better than a Stanley scoring blade.
A section of a HSS slitting saw could be shaped to fabricate a cutter

Richard K suggested a carbide paint scraper blade from Lowes in another
thread, as a readily available piece of carbide for reshaping and
fabricating a machine scraping tool. A section of this blade would would be
a good choice for fabricating a sheet material scoring cutter for an
improvised/fabricated handle.
Warner 2-1/2" Carbide Scraper Blade p/n 34814 about $7.50 at Lowes.
The blade measures about .460" wide x .060 thick, with two 4mm ~.160" holes.
www.warnertool.com

WB

oups.com...

Wild Bill wrote:
[...]

Thanks a lot.

I'm going to have to make another attempt to get the Stanley scoring
knife blade. But just in case I still can't locate it locally(at Home
Depot or Lowes), can you recommend the best place to order them?
Thanks again.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Wild Bill

I haven't ever needed to order them since I could always find them locally
at most places that sell Stanley utility knives.
Maybe you'd have better luck with the yellow pages.

WB

Wild Bill wrote:
I haven't ever needed to order them since I could always find them

locally
at most places that sell Stanley utility knives.
Maybe you'd have better luck with the yellow pages.

I just returned from Home Depot with the only scoring blade they had,
which is the one you mentioned.(Stanley #11-942). But I will probably
have to return the body(#10-179) which I picked up also, because I
don't think the blade is made for it. But I'd better try it first.(I
just have to figure out which end is supposed to stick out). :-)
Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Tool wanted to cut metal slot Jan UK diy 15 March 11th 04 08:49 PM
cutting sheet metal with circular saw???? Roy Jenson Metalworking 3 August 31st 03 05:11 PM
sheet metal gas engine project clare @ snyder.on .ca Metalworking 10 August 27th 03 01:47 AM
How start sheet metal screws? Joe Odom Home Repair 2 July 6th 03 03:01 PM