Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
SteveF

Default Making a long threaded screw

Let's say I have a small lathe (length) and need to make a threaded screw
longer than the max length of my lathe. Obviously this can be done in
theory by just threading one part, removing from the chuck, reinserting
further back in the headstock and continuing the thread. But in practice
can this be done with enough accuracy for something like a replacement lead
screw for a lathe? Yes, I am aware of parts on Ebay and long threaded rods
from MSC, etc. - this is more of a "how to use my lathe" machining question.

Thanks.
Steve.